Dish Network/Boost Mobile cell/5G buildout thread

PythonFanPA

1 hour ago, Trip said:

I've been looking for permits for Dish and have found there seem to be more of them in outlying areas than I can find in areas around major cities.  For example, I've found none in Fairfax County VA, and fewer than a dozen in Montgomery County MD, but more than a dozen in Washington County MD (near Hagerstown) and others in places like Chesterfield County VA (near Richmond) but not in Hagerstown or Richmond.

- Trip

"[Dave Mayo] said work in coastal cities like New York and Los Angeles will start later because the company plans to use rooftop sites, due to local regulations, that may require different equipment configurations."

Source.

2 hours ago, thisischuck01 said:

"[Dave Mayo] said work in coastal cities like New York and Los Angeles will start later because the company plans to use rooftop sites, due to local regulations, that may require different equipment configurations."

Source.

Yeah, I saw that.  Doesn't really explain why they don't have permits for the poles in Fairfax County, for example.

- Trip

9 hours ago, RAvirani said:

At least in the Washington/Idaho/Montana/Alaska market, Dish is not using any power lines or utility poles. They’re exclusively going with rooftops and existing tower structures. 

Just heard back - this is a rule of thumb nationwide. Not sure how strictly other markets are following it but the team here is pretty adamant about it. 

10 hours ago, Trip said:

That's a great idea.  I hope they're able to stick to it and get some towers built in places where only power line towers exist today.

- Trip

While that would be nice, it’s slowed down deployment in certain residential areas around Seattle where wooden utility poles are the only/best option today. In some cases, they’ve gone with lower masts on small grocery stores which really aren’t ideal (due to much higher clutter loss). 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

They still aren't running any towers of their own with customers on them, so far as I'm aware.  They've got a lot of gear popping up though, so construction does appear to be in progress, and I've seen permits in several areas.

- Trip

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 10:49 AM, brockeb1 said:

Dish moving into the Black Hills of South Dakota.......have seen 3 permits so far. Also, their are 5 NB-IOT sites that were put in back in 2019 that were basically part of a spectrum hold promise. I assume these sites will be transitioned as well. 

Okay, we are up to 10 sites in Rapid City/Pennington County. Spoke with Pennington County Planning and Zoning and she expects more to come. Haven't checked the remainder of the Black Hills yet, but assume a similar situation. Also includes the NB-IOT sites which I assume are being transitioned as opposed to a new rack for just the cellular portion. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, 4GHoward said:

If DISH Wireless was operating now, how would this Amazon Outage affect the current contract and quality of service?

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/7/22822332/amazon-server-aws-down-disney-plus-ring-outage

I have heard rumors from several sources that it is starting to operate now in some very select places.  Once I get through their byzantine byod 5g process I hope to find a likely local example.

• Like 1

Found a Dish permit in a pretty suburban/semi-rural area (Woodinville, WA). They must be making pretty good progress to be reaching areas like Woodinville.

https://aca-prod.accela.com/WOODINVILLE/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=Building&TabName=Building&capID1=BLD21&capID2=00000&capID3=00611&agencyCode=WOODINVILLE&IsToShowInspection=

• Like 2

On 12/8/2021 at 4:59 AM, dkyeager said:

I have heard rumors from several sources that it is starting to operate now in some very select places.  Once I get through their byzantine byod 5g process I hope to find a likely local example.

5G testing in Dallas, TX utilizing the 3GPP frequency range 1695-1710 MHz, 1755-1760 MHz and 2155-2160 MHz. Dish Wireless would like to conduct 5G testing in Dallas, TX utilizing the 3GPP frequency range 1695-1710 MHz, 1755-1760 MHz and 2155-2160 MHz. Dish respectfully requests the Commission to grant an Special Temporary Authorization to field test in this range.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/els/reports/STA_Print.cfm?mode=current&application_seq=110690

• Like 3

Found a new Boost Mobile/ Dish site going up within my range.  Very friendly crew. They said in my area 2000 of these sites are going up and they have been working seven days a week for months.  These sites will not only service smart phones but also TVs over the same frequencies.  The plan is to eliminate satellite dishes on people's homes. I also think this could put them in the ISP business.

They allowed me to take pictures:

w7Amn91.jpg

ipcdOVU.jpg

07H69Yl.jpg

• Like 2

Here are some more photos of the above site.  I was told they had not put up the antennas yet.  But if they are in a rush, one team may be responsible for the antennas.  Typically a site prep crew is responsible for the underground conduit, concrete pad, and cabinet placement, which is what these guys were doing.

k2l5Xsd.jpg

Uj22nif.jpg

Staring from the top, which is T-Mobile:

zf6WGbl.jpg

wb8I3ge.jpg

Middle is Sprint:

Ag4c71M.jpg

weZOyao.jpg

IMO the bottom is likely Dish  (Boost Mobile, etc):

lB8fyBM.jpg

wspfyia.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Found a new Boost Mobile/ Dish site going up within my range.  Very friendly crew. They said in my area 2000 of these sites are going up and they have been working seven days a week for months.  These sites will not only service smart phones but also TVs over the same frequencies.  The plan is to eliminate satellite dishes on people's homes. I also think this could put them in the ISP business.

They allowed me to take pictures:

AAWUweWfhgGayRKs3nbxjJbs7uvqPIf9KgzUoNpg

get_hangouts_attachment_url?url_type=FIF

4 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Here are some more photos of the above site.  I was told they had not put up the antennas yet.  But if they are in a rush, one team may be responsible for the antennas.  Typically a site prep crew is responsible for the underground conduit, concrete pad, and cabinet placement, which is what these guys were doing.

Staring from the top, which is T-Mobile:

Middle is Sprint:

IMO the bottom is likely Dish  (Boost Mobile, etc):

None of these links work for me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mdob07 said:

Thanks, I will change them tomorrow. I did test them, so too many must have looked at them.

12 hours ago, mdob07 said:

Pictures moved to imgur

2 hours ago, Trip said:

I can now see the pics in the first post, but not the second one.  Very interesting thus far.

- Trip

I went back through and re-saved them again, then opened it up in a different browser and clicked on image to new tab  and they all say imgur just like last time.  Hopefully this works.  Reminders me of when Google backs you up a version in sheets presumably due to a server error or I am simply rusty.  This site is nearby, so I can get more photos of the antennas quite easily and with greater detail with a DSLR if desired.  I will try to get some of the bottom rack labels and ports.

• Like 2