Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

Sprint, at least here in my apartment in an extremely isolated, unscientific and quite possibly non representative and exceedingly tiny sample, is marginally faster. So it's meaningless to ask without an exponentially larger sample. 

The takeaway is that they're messing with the sites and PRLs.  Not that any particular band is temporarily faster. Remember, we're all TMobile now.  

• Like 1

I have the Galaxy S8 Active.

If Im reading this right:

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carrier-compatibility/eegphj/samsung-sm-g892u-galaxy-s8-active-td-lte/t-mobile-united-states

Ill be good on everything except 71 right?

So Im good for another year? My service should be the same or better, but never worse?

2 minutes ago, jamesinclair said:

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carrier-compatibility/eegphj/samsung-sm-g892u-galaxy-s8-active-td-lte/t-mobile-united-states

So Im good for another year? My service should be the same or better, but never worse?

Yep.

15 minutes ago, briank86 said:

Translation: Sprint is still faster than Tmo

Incorrect. There are myriad factors that go into any singular speed test. You've got to keep that in mind. Myriad.

But, more to the point: Sprint no longer exists. 

• Like 1

You're killing me smalls. Can't u just let us have a few more months of sprint pride before tmo sticks a fork in it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, jamesinclair said:

The S8 Active did support B71 on T-Mobile.  You could download this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ray.samsungbandselection

And see if it is listed under Band Selection.

Since that was the only S8 to add support for it, I suppose there's a chance there was a different chip revision depending on who it was shipped to.  TM and Sprint had the same base model.

27 minutes ago, jreuschl said:

The S8 Active did support B71 on T-Mobile.  

No, it didn't.

EDIT; We'll, I'll be damned. It actually did. That old phone is actually up to date.

Edited by greenbastard
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, jreuschl said:

The S8 Active did support B71 on T-Mobile.  You could download this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ray.samsungbandselection

And see if it is listed under Band Selection.

Since that was the only S8 to add support for it, I suppose there's a chance there was a different chip revision depending on who it was shipped to.  TM and Sprint had the same base model.

I get "hidden network settings activity not found on this device" when I push "launch band selection". Do I need to be rooted?

6 minutes ago, jamesinclair said:

I get "hidden network settings activity not found on this device" when I push "launch band selection". Do I need to be rooted?

No you don't, then it isn't supported on that model.  I'm not sure what phones are supported by that app.  I can use it unrooted on my S10.  Sorry!

55 minutes ago, jreuschl said:

No you don't, then it isn't supported on that model.  I'm not sure what phones are supported by that app.  I can use it unrooted on my S10.  Sorry!

The developer says I need the newest version of Android. Im on 8.0 and I guess I need to be on 9.0 for this app to work.

Ive had bad experiences with Samsung and Andorid updates, so I will continue to hold off.

It seems to be aggregating with band 2 over the 1900 frequency to connect over NR71. T-Mobile at my particular area has never been that good. And it's definitely worse than my normal Sprint LTE signal from my home Tower. I did read over Reddit that if speeds and signal are not to your liking they can actually reverse the provision back to Sprint native. You simply just have to call in. Not 100% if that's true but it's nice that they're able to do that if so.

2 minutes ago, transitwatch889 said:

It seems to be aggregating with band 2 over the 1900 frequency to connect over NR71. T-Mobile at my particular area has never been that good. And it's definitely worse than my normal Sprint LTE signal from my home Tower. I did read over Reddit that if speeds and signal are not to your liking they can actually reverse the provision back to Sprint native. You simply just have to call in. Not 100% if that's true but it's nice that they're able to do that if so.

can you check your sprint plan add-ons to see if you have the code added to your account to enable this and if so, what does it show / what is it called?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, transitwatch889 said:

n71 anchors to B2/B4/B66 only on the Tmo network.  It will not move to n71 from B12 or B71.

Robert

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, swintec said:

can you check your sprint plan add-ons to see if you have the code added to your account to enable this and if so, what does it show / what is it called?

Nothing on my account as of yet on the account add-ons. Just my typical services that I had previously. If I'm not mistaken. I did read that it's per device so maybe it's something that they see on their end that we won't on ours since it's a Sim provision.

2 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

n71 anchors to B2/B4/B66 only on the Tmo network.  It will not move to n71 from B12 or B71.

Robert

I did notice when it did latch onto the band 12 it disconnected from 5G. I figured that would that was the case after looking at the signal check and service menus.

so what should i  be looking for in SC and the service menus to know if i am really on tmobile 5G?  today was my first day out and about with my S20 that i got yesterday and Sprints 5G popped on for awhile which i had no idea was around here.

1 minute ago, jreuschl said:

A few on Reddit said their S20s auto profile updated and are now seeing TM 5G.  Sounds like it isn't an all at one time rollout.

Some seemed to get it at 3 p.m. I got mine at 4 p.m. so it's definitely a staged rollout