Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

It seems there is some tower work going on in consolidating the towers:

They are not messing around! I was thinking they would wait a bit for tower work but boy they did hit the ground running.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

They are not messing around! I was thinking they would wait a bit for tower work but boy they did hit the ground running.

They had two years to twiddle their thumbs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigsnake49 said:

Post was deleted after it was said it was not Sprint.

3 hours ago, Yuhfhrh said:

I'd kill for a source on individual T-Mobile N71/N41 sites going live. Was so spoiled with all the Sprint information during network vision.

I have stood about 8 feet from guys installing 600, 700 1900 and AWS panels with a new cabinet and they still would not admit it would do n71.  Will fill-in a nice hole in 600 5g map when done and activated.

• Like 1

With all the nuts overseas attacking 5G masts and telecom workers I wouldn't say a thing either. We have a habit of importing bad ideas from overseas at our own expense and now we can't have a casual conversation with some doods working.

6 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

still would not admit

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, belusnecropolis said:

With all the nuts overseas attacking 5G masts and telecom workers I wouldn't say a thing either. We have a habit of importing bad ideas from overseas at our own expense and now we can't have a casual conversation with some doods working.

That was one of their concerns.  Likely policy.

1 hour ago, belusnecropolis said:

The stuff some people believe is mind-boggling. It doesn't help that we've had so many world events that have only fed the hysteria in 2020. Just in this year alone Kobe died, Australia burned down, WW3 almost kicked off with Iran, President got impeached, Coronavirus swept the world, economic crash followed it, oil falls to negative prices, US Government confirms UFO video, and Tom Brady isn't a Patriot anymore (And we're still in the month of April!)!

It's a breeding ground for conspiracy looneys.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Yuhfhrh said:

I'd kill for a source on individual T-Mobile N71/N41 sites going live. Was so spoiled with all the Sprint information during network vision.

I have to be honest.... other than this forum at the time, I don't remember Sprint saying a whole lot.    I just remember one day my service went to nearly unusable for about 3 weeks to a month.   It was painful.     I don't remember Sprint publicizing any info though.   Sometimes you'd get a small blurb on the bottom of your bill from Sprint.  That was it.        Next week's earnings report should shed a lot of light on network info.       

I know a lot of you are chomping at the bit,... but it's only been 3 weeks since the merger took place.    T-Mo couldn't actually do any work with Sprint's spectrum until the ink dried.    Again I reiterate, be patient.     there are 50 states to work on.   It won't be done in 2 months.    

If you are on Twitter, the T-Mobile execs issue lots of info there in Tweets.   They did it for Philly and DC and even gave the heads up on 5G expansion in Detroit, St Louis, and Cleveland.   

Between March 11th, when COVID-19 was declared a pandemic, and March 31st, T-Mobile was able to move nearly its entire customer care workforce out of its call centers across the US and into a work from home operation. That's almost 14,000 employees in just 20 days.

That's incredible.

They've now got all 17 of their internal call centers working from home along with over 92% of the Sprint care teams.

Now that they've made these moves to have people work remotely, I wonder if they'll keep it this way? Saves on the commute time/expense for the employees, and T-Mobile could save quite a bit of money as well if it doesn't renew the leases on (or sells) its call center properties. Proof of concept that it can work for the long term? Thoughts?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

So I just pulled down 366/54 on 5G, would that be N41?

could be.... but i've hit as high as 396mbps on "5G" before. and i put the 5G in quotes because it was really 15mhz B66, 10mhz B2, 10 mhz B71 LTE plus 10mhz N71. so if you were on an upgraded t-mobile tower with that much/more spectrum available between LTE and 5G you can hit that high.

• Like 2

I got 980kbps/220kbps on "5g" this morning.  I think they are still setting things up.  I didn't see any "5g" until last night, but i was on tmobile 4g for a day before that.   All of this is in my house.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bmoses said:

could be.... but i've hit as high as 396mbps on "5G" before. and i put the 5G in quotes because it was really 15mhz B66, 10mhz B2, 10 mhz B71 LTE plus 10mhz N71. so if you were on an upgraded t-mobile tower with that much/more spectrum available between LTE and 5G you can hit that high.

Service Mode showed:

n71 with Band 2: 10MHz, Band 71: 15MHz so not sure whats really going on.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Service Mode showed:

n71 with Band 2: 10MHz, Band 71: 15MHz so not sure whats really going on.

yep, thats exactly same scenario. your phone is aggregating LTE B2 + B71 as well as 5G N71 from the same tower. just the LTE alone at 256QAM, 4x4 MIMO on B2, and 2x2 MIMO on B71 would get you to 346mbps on the LTE alone https://www.cellmapper.net/4G-speed

yep, thats exactly same scenario. your phone is aggregating LTE B2 + B71 as well as 5G N71 from the same tower. just the LTE alone at 256QAM, 4x4 MIMO on B2, and 2x2 MIMO on B71 would get you to 346mbps on the LTE alone https://www.cellmapper.net/4G-speed

You cannot use B71 and N71 at the same time. It's one or the other. Just like you can't have B12+B71, you also can't have B71+N71 or B12+N71. Only one low band carrier (LTE or NR) can be used at a time. At least with all phones on the market besides the latest Sony Xperia I believe.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Just now, ingenium said:

You cannot use B71 and N71 at the same time. It's one or the other. Just like you can't have B12+B71, you also can't have B71+N71 or B12+N71. Only one low band carrier (LTE or NR) can be used at a time.

I know you can't have B71 be the "anchor" band for 5G, but are you sure it can't get aggregated with the other LTE bands? according to what my phone was saying it was showing 5G as "connected" and i had 3xCA on LTE, the only bands around me are B66, B2, and B71. So that to me says i had 3xCA with those LTE bands plus N71 5G.

I know you can't have B71 be the "anchor" band for 5G, but are you sure it can't get aggregated with the other LTE bands? according to what my phone was saying it was showing 5G as "connected" and i had 3xCA on LTE, the only bands around me are B66, B2, and B71. So that to me says i had 3xCA with those LTE bands plus N71 5G.

B71 can be aggregated only with B2 and/or B66. It cannot be aggregated with B12 or N71. B12 and N71 are the same, and can only be aggregated with B2 and/or B66. Current RF front ends on phones only support one low band carrier at a time, except the latest Sony phone I believe. So you'll never see B12+B71, B12+N71, B71+N71, or any other combination of those.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ingenium said:

B71 can be aggregated only with B2 and/or B66. It cannot be aggregated with B12 or N71. B12 and N71 are the same, and can only be aggregated with B2 and/or B66. Current RF front ends on phones only support one low band carrier at a time, except the latest Sony phone I believe. So you'll never see B12+B71, B12+N71, B71+N71, or any other combination of those.

While B71 cannot be the anchor band for N71, it can be aggregated with N71 by sharing the same antenna path in current T-Mobile 5G phones.

While B71 cannot be the anchor band for N71, it can be aggregated with N71 by sharing the same antenna path in current T-Mobile 5G phones.
Which phones?

Just now, ingenium said:

Which phones?

All of T-Mobile's 5G phones have got the update to do this at this point. The 5G Mclaren got the capability back in February. Here are some screenshots from back then I have when it was first enabled. Ignore the missing information up top on NSG, this was a beta build.

image.png

image.pngimage.png