Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

For people with Samsung phones I've found that T-Mobile doesn't lock down the RAT selection menu. You can access by *#2263# and enable or disable 3G/4G/5G bands. On a sprint SIM that code did nothing but on T-Mobile S20+ and Tab S6 I can change settings easily. On AT&T the only way to access that menu is reboot the phone with the SIM card out, once the phone sees the SIM it locks down on AT&T. On Sprint that menu never came up. I'm not sure if Verizon locks it down or not.  

Looks like I was right in thinking that the update would pretty much give S20's full access to T-Mobile's network. One thing I hate about T-Mobile's network is that because they are using 2/4/66 as anchor bands and have activated EN-DC on nearly all of their sites in 5G markets, the 5G icon is pretty much always there regardless of if 5G is on the site or not.

In Sprint's case, because the anchor band was the same as the 5G band and the 5G and LTE sites were collocated, most of the time you'd only see the 5G logo when actually connected to 5G.

A lot of people are going to be duped into thinking that T-Mobile's 5G is everywhere when it really isn't.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

A lot of people are going to be duped into thinking that T-Mobile's 5G is everywhere when it really isn't.

Ding, ding ding!  Even me, at first.

Robert

• Like 4

Mine switched around 6pm or so here in NOVA. I was on B2 LTE at first.  Speeds are 2-4mbps DL much slower than B41 was before on Sprint.  I have also seen B12 which had somewhat better speeds at 6mbps.  The signal was not as good as Sprint was either.

The coverage map on tmobile's website doesn't zoom in enough for me to see if i should be seeing 5g, but i am guessing i am just out of the 5g coverage. There are plenty of sites in my area that are, but not my house.

• Like 1

I think I got the update, no longer connecting to Sprint and it's showing Sprint | SPRINT now when I pull down the notification area. Only on B66 no 5G icon. Now connected to B71 no 5G icon.

Edited by BlueAngel

One thing I hate about T-Mobile's network is that because they are using 2/4/66 as anchor bands and have activated EN-DC on nearly all of their sites in 5G markets, the 5G icon is pretty much always there regardless of if 5G is on the site or not. ... A lot of people are going to be duped into thinking that T-Mobile's 5G is everywhere when it really isn't.

Agreed.. complicates my SCP development too. I expect my inbox to continue to be filled with unhappy campers.. [emoji53]
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

I think I got the update, no longer connecting to Sprint and it's showing Sprint | SPRINT now when I pull down the notification area. Only on B66 no 5G icon. Now connected to B71 no 5G icon.

yep you got it. do you know if you're in a 5G area? i have NR as soon as i walk outside at -100. the towers around me havent been upgraded so im picking this up from a pretty distant tower actually.

8 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

Agreed.. complicates my SCP development too. I expect my inbox to continue to be filled with unhappy campers.. emoji53.png

Time to break out the investor quote for awhile - "Past performance is not a predictor of future results"

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JLevoLTE said:

yep you got it. do you know if you're in a 5G area? i have NR as soon as i walk outside at -100. the towers around me havent been upgraded so im picking this up from a pretty distant tower actually.

I'm in Philly so yes, but apparently their maps lie I'm not getting any 5G.

5 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

I'm in Philly so yes, but apparently their maps lie I'm not getting any 5G.

Unless they are doing something with the network at the moment i totally agree. their 5G maps are very deceptive lol

5 minutes ago, JLevoLTE said:

Unless they are doing something with the network at the moment i totally agree. their 5G maps are very deceptive lol

I wished they showed 5G coverage the same way they do their LTE coverage.  They have some of the best maps out there for LTE.

Robert

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

I wished they showed 5G coverage the same way they do their LTE coverage.  They have some of the best maps out there for LTE.

Robert

Yeah I agree, well maybe they'll user verify their 5G coverage eventually.

29 minutes ago, JLevoLTE said:

I'll take a ride around tomorrow and see what I find, I'm sure I'll find it a few blocks away.

So when you guys say T-Mobile I assume that is with the regular T-Mobile.PLMN with Sprint in essence being roaming correct? (As compared to T-Mobile showing up as Clearwire etc)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

So when you guys say T-Mobile I assume that is with the regular T-Mobile.PLMN with Sprint in essence being roaming correct? (As compared to T-Mobile showing up as Clearwire etc)

Yep, can't connect to Sprint at all.

Finally got the update on my S20+ tonight in Maine.  Tmobile across the board now, and i now have LTE in my house WITH VoLTE.  No 5G though, yet.  Either way, these are things sprint just couldnt make happen after all these years and tmobile changed it in a matter of a few seconds.

Goodnight sweet prince. Its been real.

• Like 3

Finally got the update on my S20+ tonight in Maine.  Tmobile across the board now, and i now have LTE in my house WITH VoLTE.  No 5G though, yet.  Either way, these are things sprint just couldnt make happen after all these years and tmobile changed it in a matter of a few seconds. Goodnight sweet prince. Its been real.

It's not as if Sprint engineers themselves didn't want to get things done. Top down decisions were made which basically precluded sprint employees from doing anything useful to improve the situation of the network. It was a multi year process but Son got what he wanted in the end after the "merger" was rejected the first time around.

Not that it matters anymore. It's one for the history books.

We'll just have to wait and see what New TM does with all the former Sprint assets they acquired.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 9

4 hours ago, swintec said:

Finally got the update on my S20+ tonight in Maine.  Tmobile across the board now, and i now have LTE in my house WITH VoLTE.  No 5G though, yet.  Either way, these are things sprint just couldnt make happen after all these years and tmobile changed it in a matter of a few seconds.

Goodnight sweet prince. Its been real.

I think in your case and other similar cases it is good. For others close to Sprint only sites that are on the edge of T-Mobile sites or those with well functioning Magic Boxes, this will be bad. Hopefully they easily let those in the later category back on Sprint in some fashion, else it is tracking on the Nextel merger path for at least some.

• Like 7

Just in case if you haven’t seen it
AC9603D0-F54F-4719-8062-AE28E2650306.thumb.jpeg.453fba8aa9a315547a5215f3f6493380.jpeg

So July 31st is the last day to do anything Sprint related to your account, plan changes, upgrades etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk