Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

The integration will virtually happen day 1 as Neville changed plans. He will do what 2 carriers are doing in Canada called (MOCN). Which basically uses a virtual single core network that routes services to the tmo core. it will move existing T-Mobile and Sprint customers to a common core network. That will require T-Mobile’s engineering team to bridge the two standalone core networks together.At the same time, T-Mobile engineers will increase the scale of T-Mobile’s core network to handle increased traffic created by the new Sprint customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am more concerned about the coverage aspect. When I'm worried about is that coverage won't be expanded upon.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

I am more concerned about the coverage aspect. When I'm worried about is that coverage won't be expanded upon.

They have to or face very significant finds

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Coverage expansion will be slowed as TMO builds the new network architecture adding sprint equipment to their sites and tmo equipment to sprint keep sites, but tmos network is already much larger than sprint by almost 1 million square miles in total.. the sprint customer will have a huge increase in network coverage ( which they should already due to roaming)

They do have a mandate to hit a target, but will be hard spending only about 40 billion in 3 years. In that same time frame Verizon will spend 54 billion And att a bit more

Coverage expansion will be slowed as TMO builds the new network architecture adding sprint equipment to their sites and tmo equipment to sprint keep sites, but tmos network is already much larger than sprint by almost 1 million square miles in total.. the sprint customer will have a huge increase in network coverage ( which they should already due to roaming)

Sounds logical. Another thing I hope they do is they fill in coverage holes. Because that's another thing that's needed on some areas of i-95 that I travel. so let's see if they stick to their promises like they did in the past.

They have to or face very significant finds

and if they stick to their promises that would be great. If not I really hope the federal government steps in and fines the piss out of the company.

Sounds logical. Another thing I hope they do is they fill in coverage holes. Because that's another thing that's needed on some areas of i-95 that I travel. so let's see if they stick to their promises like they did in the past.

TMO lacks coverage on I-95 ?

TMO lacks coverage on I-95 ?

Yes. Just a very very very small Gap. They could use a couple small cells or cell site at least. It's in southern New Jersey when I travel to Delaware.

Yes. Just a very very very small Gap. They could use a couple small cells or cell site at least. It's in southern New Jersey when I travel to Delaware.

Those areas I do see them filling gaps rather quickly. I was thinking about much more rural areas that wills possibly take more time..

Building new coverage sites (approximately 10,000) will probably take more time than adding T-Mobile equipment to approximately 10,000 non-redundant Sprint sites. The latter will plug up most coverage and capacity holes. I have full confidence in T-Mobile's network and project management teams. Just remember that they can be working on all of this even before the merger closes.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2

Building new coverage sites (approximately 10,000) will probably take more time than adding T-Mobile equipment to approximately 10,000 non-redundant Sprint sites. The latter will plug up most coverage and capacity holes. I have full confidence in T-Mobile's network and project management teams. Just remember that they can be working on all of this even before the merger closes.

Oh ya the 12-18 months time frame on building new sites still applies to the new tmo.

Oh ya the 12-18 months time frame on building new sites still applies to the new tmo.

I m waiting to see some progress with band 71 expansion

56 minutes ago, danlodish345 said:

Good because it can definitely help with consistency on i95.

Dan, aren't you on Verizon?   I didn't think you were on either Sprint or T Mo...  Didn't understand the strong feelings toward Sprint or T Mo..?   Are you coming back?    If you are on a different carrier, then how are you able to find a "hole" in T Mo's coverage?  

Dan, aren't you on Verizon?   I didn't think you were on either Sprint or T Mo...  Didn't understand the strong feelings toward Sprint or T Mo..?   Are you coming back?    If you are on a different carrier, then how are you able to find a "hole" in T Mo's coverage?  
No I actually decided against Verizon. I save $10 a month by being on T-Mobile prepaid. So I'm aware there coverage deficiencies on the highway. there are a few spots where I lose LTE altogether. Their band 71 would actually work to close the gaps between LTE enabled towers.

• Like 1

No I actually decided against Verizon. I save $10 a month by being on T-Mobile prepaid. So I'm aware there coverage deficiencies on the highway. there are a few spots where I lose LTE altogether. Their band 71 would actually work to close the gaps between LTE enabled towers.

So, for an extra $10 bucks you could potential fix that coverage gap yourself ? Might have to think about that m. Although tmo will eventually fix that gap, there is no telling when

You can get vzw for 40 bucks using Visible

You can get vzw for 40 bucks using Visible

I have T-Mobile and I actually function better than Verizon in my area so I'm good.

2 hours ago, tyroned3222 said:

They do have a mandate to hit a target, but will be hard spending only about 40 billion in 3 years. In that same time frame Verizon will spend 54 billion And att a bit more

The deal with Dish should actually save T-Mobile money in terms of no lease breaking or demolition costs, plus they have a guaranteed buyer for Band 26, which I thought they would get rid of after the death of CDMA service.  Makes more sense to have more 600Mhz or other matching spectrum from Dish, although the Dish CEO implies the 600Mhz leases to T-Mobile are temporary.  T-Mobile may have the option of further Softbank investment (or Softbank may wish to sell its shares at a later date.)

With all the money moving around that Softbank did at Sprint when they bought them, didn't Sprint sell a lot of their 2.5GHz to shell companies held by Softbank and lease them back?  So a lot of the 2.5GHz isn't actually owned or leased directly to New-TMobile, but New-TMobile leasing via these shell companies?

2 hours ago, red_dog007 said:

With all the money moving around that Softbank did at Sprint when they bought them, didn't Sprint sell a lot of their 2.5GHz to shell companies held by Softbank and lease them back?  So a lot of the 2.5GHz isn't actually owned or leased directly to New-TMobile, but New-TMobile leasing via these shell companies?

Well post merger,  what Sprint in effect did was sell wireless equipment and spectrum to newly created Sprint subsidiaries and lease back equipment or spectrum to itself. The subsidiaries borrowed money by putting up the newly acquired equipment/spectrum as collateral. This allowed the subsidiaries to borrow at a substantially lower rate as their debt was secured by said collateral. Investors (including Softbank) bought bonds issued by the subsidiaries. The subsidiaries in turn leased equipment/spectrum back to Sprint and Sprint's lease payments to the subsidiaries are effectively paying the subsidiary's bondholders.

So yes in the context to what you were asking, New T-Mobile is going to acquire some equipment/spectrum that is being leased via shell companies, but no the shell companies aren't owned by outsiders i.e. Softbank. And at that point, much like Sprint, T-Mobile will probably be fairly happy to continue lease payments given it is effectively debt payments at an extremely low rate. As of right now there are 3 outstanding Spectrum Co issues due in 2021, 2025, and 2028 totaling $6.125 billion. All 3 of these represent Sprint's lowest outstanding long-term debt issues interest rate wise.

Those areas I do see them filling gaps rather quickly. I was thinking about much more rural areas that wills possibly take more time..

Well the thing is that TMobile doesn't have a really dense Network outside of central New Jersey. Even though Long the highway coverage does suffer very slightly. But with the coming improvements hopefully all that will be resolved. I'll be going again in less than three weeks so I'll post an update then.

In the South Atlanta metro area T-mobile has worse coverage than Sprint, and sprint is pretty poor in a lot of areas as well, and it isn't necessarily towers as much as not enough capacity and overloaded towers in places like Newnan and South Dekalb County.  Verizon by far is the best coverage for all of metro Atlanta especially the southside of the metro. 

I have stayed with Sprint because it was cheaper and knew I would have to deal with speed and coverage issues.  If it gets worse post T-mobile merger I may have to bounce.  My mom has T-mobile and she is always having issues with calls and data.  I have rarely if ever seen the T-mobile LTE roaming bands everyone on here has talked about.  Still just on oversaturated Sprint nodes toward my work (Dekalb county, GA) and my home county (Coweta County, GA).

Hope this all works out and my bill stays the same or less for my unlimited plan that includes HD streaming videos, etc....

Edited by troyd96

56 minutes ago, troyd96 said:

In the South Atlanta metro area T-mobile has worse coverage than Sprint, and sprint is pretty poor in a lot of areas as well, and it isn't necessarily towers as much as not enough capacity and overloaded towers in places like Newnan and South Dekalb County.  Verizon by far is the best coverage for all of metro Atlanta especially the southside of the metro. 

I have stayed with Sprint because it was cheaper and knew I would have to deal with speed and coverage issues.  If it gets worse post T-mobile merger I may have to bounce.  My mom has T-mobile and she is always having issues with calls and data.  I have rarely if ever seen the T-mobile LTE roaming bands everyone on here has talked about.  Still just on oversaturated Sprint nodes toward my work (Dekalb county, GA) and my home county (Coweta County, GA).

Hope this all works out and my bill stays the same or less for my unlimited plan that includes HD streaming videos, etc....

How do you tell it is oversaturated nood I run in to a different issue signal get so weak and phone get hot then it go. In a loop of more weak then more warm. Then I tune data off and on and it seme to now works ok