Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

Many analyst believe that is what’s happening behind closed doors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

States are also determined to ruin coverage. If Sprint has to go on their own they will only be in the cites which is frustrating outside of bigger cities. Plus Sprints lack of low band spectrum.

Welcome to how the some governments think, if your in a state that is against this merger. Call your house rep and tell them that they need to approve this merger and it is actually good for the state.

Milan Milanovic has a very nice blog post about PCS contiguity between Sprint and T-Mobile and then total 600MHz spectrum between T-Mobile and Dish. 

One very interesting tidbit is that Dish has an option to purchase Sprint's 800Mhz holdings but if they refuse they have to pay substantial penalties. So it's not a foregone conclusion that it will be sold to Dish. If it does not get sold, T-Mobile has the option to auction it off or continue using it.

While there is a lot of contiguity between T-Mobile and Spint in the PCS band, there is also lot of opportunities/challenges in spectrum horse trading. There are quite a few markets in which Block G is stranded.

https://www.speedtest.net/insights/blog/new-t-mobile-spectrum-coverage/

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 6

31 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Milan Milanovic has a very nice blog post about PCS contiguity between Sprint and T-Mobile and then total 600MHz spectrum between T-Mobile and Dish. 

One very interesting tidbit is that Dish has an option to purchase Sprint's 800Mhz holdings but if they refuse they have to pay substantial penalties. So it's not a foregone conclusion that it will be sold to Dish. If it does not get sold, T-Mobile has the option to auction it off or continue using it.

While there is a lot of contiguity between T-Mobile and Spint in the PCS band, there is also lot of opportunities/challenges in spectrum horse trading. There are quite a few markets in which Block G is stranded.

https://www.speedtest.net/insights/blog/new-t-mobile-spectrum-coverage/

Great article!!!   It says everything including the migration plans!   This is very great news for all of us!!   I am very excited to have this all cleared up.  Hopefully the court case is short and sweet. .. and get thrown out! 

• Like 2

Great article!!!   It says everything including the migration plans!   This is very great news for all of us!!   I am very excited to have this all cleared up.  Hopefully the court case is short and sweet. .. and get thrown out! 
There are good amount of markets with the C block that Sprint has and some where TMO has. Some people think that TMO will not do C+G cause then you lose B2 in those areas and will require B25 but think they will tho. Omaha Nebraska is one for example TMO holds the 15x15 Block so G block gives them 20x20. However there B2 will still be there as Sprint B block can do both B25 and 2.

Has anyone written to their states Attorney Generals office to voice their approval of the merger and ask them to withdraw from the lawsuit?

I have, as Michigan is one of the 14 states involved in the lawsuit.    

I highly suggest if you want this to go through and you live in one of the suing states, to take a moment and google your states attorney generals office email and send a note!     

If you live in Michigan, you can use this address:

miag@michigan.gov

Edited by dro1984

Here in Louisville Sprint has PCS B block (15x15MHz), T-Mobile has E, F, and C3 which combined is also 15x15 MHz. Together it will be 30x30 contiguous plus G block on top of that. Plus T-Mobile has H and I blocks AWS 3 for a 10x10 channel, and dish has G block. If they share and combine together they could have a 15x15 AWS 3 carrier. Plus 10x10 AWS 1, 5x5 B12, and whatever 600 T-mobile has here. T-mobile has much better density here than Sprint, if they can get everything deployed on all sites rapidly they could blow away Verizon (90MHz with everything deployed here) and compete well against AT&T. 

• Like 1

Here in Louisville Sprint has PCS B block (15x15MHz), T-Mobile has E, F, and C3 which combined is also 15x15 MHz. Together it will be 30x30 contiguous plus G block on top of that. Plus T-Mobile has H and I blocks AWS 3 for a 10x10 channel, and dish has G block. If they share and combine together they could have a 15x15 AWS 3 carrier. Plus 10x10 AWS 1, 5x5 B12, and whatever 600 T-mobile has here. T-mobile has much better density here than Sprint, if they can get everything deployed on all sites rapidly they could blow away Verizon (90MHz with everything deployed here) and compete well against AT&T. 

15x15 for 600 mhz. Does Sprint currently have 10x10 there then? 23d855175c39578f002f0960ed1433a8.jpg 

So looking into it, combined Sprint T-Mobile will only have 66MHz of spectrum in my area. Grandparents area is even worse at 50MHz combined. Congestion is definitely going to get worse. 

Oh cause they don't have B41 there? It's 66 total or download? I'm counting 90 total just for TMO?.

Sorry. 66 for downlink. 66 for uplink. 
TMobiles total holdings is 90 between down and up link. Sprint would make it 130 total. 88cddb0a0c2ae1df5f0cdcfea4391440.jpg

3 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

Sorry. 66 for downlink. 66 for uplink. 

The following other factors must be considered: any leases of Dish 600MHz spectrum, Dish may choose not to own 800MHz in the area, T-Mobile has a two year extended option on 4MHz of 800MHz, 2.5 in the area will go up for auction soon for the first time in many decades, mmWave could help in denser areas.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 2:38 PM, bigsnake49 said:

Did they forget to count AWS3 or something?

Just in 700E, PCS-H, AWS3 A1/B1 (lacks full coverage missing 26 licenses), AWS4, 800MHz is 85MHz. My market should be two scales higher. 

Atlanta for example is in the 81-90MHz color scale but  has 115MHz.  40MHz AWS4, 10MHz PCS-H, 15MHz AWS3 A1/B1, 10MHz AWS3 G, 6MHz 700E, 20MHz 600 F/G, 14MHz 800.

I guess I'm confused by the potential congestion issues?   Seems like a lot of spectrum potentially available in Brad the Beast's area?   I don't think Verizon or AT&T has that much for the area... So is that a non-issue when all available spectrum is factored in?  

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 1

Ugh now Oregon has signed on to block the Sprint/Tmobile merger!! 😞  I don't like the fact that the growing list of states opposed to the merger is now 15.  They really need to make Dish a viable competitor sooner and this state AGs need to be concerned with other matters than the Sprint/Tmobile merger.  The sooner the Sprint/Tmobile merger can be finalized, the sooner the benefits of the combined spectrum assets can be deployed to help all customers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I saw it mentioned somewhere that Dish will be employing a cloud based virtualized C-RAN (Centralized Radio Access Network) architecture, ala Rakuten in Japan which means no basestation equipment at macro sites, just RRHs. Will the new T-Mobile adopt the C-RAN standard? It seems to me that it has a lot of advantages vis a vis the traditional enodeB architecture.

5G still hasn’t officially launched in DC, despite Sprint saying it was coming here in the “coming weeks” when Chicago was announced as launched on July 11th. I wonder if the delay is related to the “approved” merger.

Until this merger is actually finalized/consummated, I’m concerned that Sprint will treat its Network with a “just enough to keep the lights on” mentality, not care about Rootmetrics rankings, etc. Of course, Sprint did this for a number of years under Marcelo when Capex was substantially reduced.

Last quarter’s Earnings Numbers (which are more fully explained here) were pretty terrible, especially with the Postpaid losses. I’m not sure why they’d be any better this quarter.

Post-announcement/pre-merger Sprint is definitely an awkward period.

Edited by RedSpark
Added more thoughts
  • Like 2

5G still hasn’t officially launched in DC, despite Sprint saying it was coming here in the “coming weeks” when Chicago was announced as launched on July 11th. I wonder if the delay is related to the “approved” merger.
Until this merger is actually finalized/consummated, I’m concerned that Sprint will treat its Network with a “just enough to keep the lights on” mentality, not care about Rootmetrics rankings, etc. Of course, Sprint did this for a number of years under Marcelo when Capex was substantially reduced.
Last quarter’s Earnings Numbers (which are more fully explained here) were pretty terrible, especially with the Postpaid losses. I’m not sure why they’d be any better this quarter.
Post-announcement/pre-merger Sprint is definitely an awkward period.
No, the delay is Nokia. Chicago is a Samsung market.
https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/5g/nokia-delays-sprints-5g-rollout/d/d-id/753450?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 2