Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

The settlement with the states is all about contributing to some fund to subsidize poor people to get cell service, maybe for some years, 3-5 years. This is all political, they need to show that they stood up to the big, bd corporations.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, bigsnake49 said:

The settlement with the states is all about contributing to some fund to subsidize poor people to get cell service, maybe for some years, 3-5 years. This is all political, they need to show that they stood up to the big, bd corporations.

I think the big bad corporations are ATT and their 98 subs including CNN, Time Warner, HBO etc.  Verizon counts as a big bad corporation also.  Sprint, by comparison, not so much.  But that is just my take on it.

Edited by IrwinshereAgain
  • Like 1

Just like I suggested:

"The companies are considering a number of ways to appease the AGs. One idea T-Mobile has floated is to help fund a similar program to the federally-subsidized wireless program for low-income people, known as the Lifeline Assistance Program. The program allows eligible people to buy mobile telephone services at a discount and could potentially offer people in the program broadband service as well."

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/t-mobile-sprint-open-door-213234891.html

• Like 1

What is the likelihood of current handsets and modems gaining the support to aggregate bands 2/66/71/12/5 with band 41?

Since band 25 is capable it seems possible on the network side of course.

Unfortunately I am unable to find an example of these combinations and what kind of process it would take to make this happen for users.

5 hours ago, belusnecropolis said:

What is the likelihood of current handsets and modems gaining the support to aggregate bands 2/66/71/12/5 with band 41?

Unfortunately I am unable to find an example of these combinations and what kind of process it would take to make this happen for users.

I don't think there are any devices that can do more than 5 CA DL just yet anyway. 

I don't think there are any devices that can do more than 5 CA DL just yet anyway. 
S10 and note 10 can do 6x. Not sure about 7

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Since 26+41 is already they could do MFBI and broadcast that B5 as 26 and do 26+41

• Like 2

Just like I suggested:
"The companies are considering a number of ways to appease the AGs. One idea T-Mobile has floated is to help fund a similar program to the federally-subsidized wireless program for low-income people, known as the Lifeline Assistance Program. The program allows eligible people to buy mobile telephone services at a discount and could potentially offer people in the program broadband service as well."
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/t-mobile-sprint-open-door-213234891.html
What ever it is, it will just end up on everyone who pays bill as a $3 fee so the company has nothing to lose by giving it up.
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

Hey Brad, I just meant with any of those, but all together would be a great second step. I have a few embedded radios and available band combinations in generic firmware tend to be broad. Unfortunately Band 41 has limited FDD aggregation band support. Band 25/26 is available so Ideally 2 and 5 fall in there like dood mentions below.

15 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

Since 26+41 is already they could do MFBI and broadcast that B5 as 26 and do 26+41

Great solution! Super nice. My guess is development will gear more towards n41 but in the meantime this would be fantastic. I wonder if we will see a solution that allows us to aggregate channels from differing eNodeB or sectors. This would help in the transitional period of the merger. 

I also wonder if this is possible with that fancy virtualized dual action but one end point core all the software magicians speak of. I believe the canadien carriers have an example of what I am referring to.

6 hours ago, belusnecropolis said:

Great solution! Super nice. My guess is development will gear more towards n41 but in the meantime this would be fantastic. I wonder if we will see a solution that allows us to aggregate channels from differing eNodeB or sectors. This would help in the transitional period of the merger. 

Inter-eNB carrier aggregation is possible and standardized (in the more recent releases) although it requires a unified backend core, so it won't be of much help until the transitional period has ended. 

On 8/14/2019 at 2:26 PM, bigsnake49 said:

makes me not want to be with Sprint / T-Mobile then - because it is the customers that are going to pay this. Might as well switch to a company that doesn't have to pay. 

What I don't get about the states suing is that they don't seem to understand that no matter what, at some point Sprint is going away.

IMHO...if the Sprint/T-Mobile Merger does not go through, then eventually Sprint will be broken up into pieces and auctioned off to Verizon and AT&T and T-Mobile and now possibly Dish.

In my mind, no matter what, Sprint will be going away at some point.

So essentially Sprint is going way one way or another.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

If the merger goes forward, we’ll get a nice new 5G device lab out of it!: https://www.t-mobile.com/news/5g-device-lab

Additional Background: https://www.fiercewireless.com/operators/t-mobile-launches-5g-lab-to-test-device-performance-across-technologies

Given the dual networks, what will the device testing protocol/timeline be for the merged company?

41 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

If the merger goes forward, we’ll get a nice new 5G device lab out of it!: https://www.t-mobile.com/news/5g-device-lab

Additional Background: https://www.fiercewireless.com/operators/t-mobile-launches-5g-lab-to-test-device-performance-across-technologies

Given the dual networks, what will the device testing protocol/timeline be for the merged company?

I watched the B roll. The facility looks super nice!

I bet we won't see any Huawei engineers there! Poor tappy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, belusnecropolis said:

I watched the B roll. The facility looks super nice!

I bet we won't see any Huawei engineers there! Poor tappy.

Lol!

Have a link to the B-Roll?

32 minutes ago, belusnecropolis said:

That first link you posted, go almost all the way to the bottom at 'for journalists' click and it will give you a splash page to download.

Ahhh... Thanks! 👍

• Like 1

I am encouraged by the fact that Google Fi is able to run on both Sprint and T-Mobile already.  Unlike the old Nextel network that we could never integrate properly. Looks like the technology is there to hit the ground running this time.  Still a lot of work to actually merge and shut down Sprint, but looks like a transition path could be available.

7 hours ago, belusnecropolis said:

That first link you posted, go almost all the way to the bottom at 'for journalists' click and it will give you a splash page to download.

Wow! That was really cool! Great behind the scenes video.

Pretty awesome facility!