Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

My device on my account says Airspan Magic Box Gen 3, does that mean I received a Gen 3?  I ordered it on Sunday 9/16/18 and received it today 9/19/18 but my wife won't let me open it until the weekend.  The label has the AU545/U545 numbers on the cardboard box which I found it saying that it is Gen 2.  Is the Gen 3 the only one with 2 USB ports for charging other devices?

3 minutes ago, TimmyTwo2 said:

My device on my account says Airspan Magic Box Gen 3, does that mean I received a Gen 3?  I ordered it on Sunday 9/16/18 and received it today 9/19/18 but my wife won't let me open it until the weekend.  The label has the AU545/U545 numbers on the cardboard box which I found it saying that it is Gen 2.  Is the Gen 3 the only one with 2 USB ports for charging other devices?

Take a look inside and see what's in there. 

AU545 is the Gen 1 public release. The AU544 is GEN2 public release. The AU587 is the expected Gen 3.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

Take a look inside and see what's in there. 

AU545 is the Gen 1 public release. The AU544 is GEN2 public release. The AU587 is the expected Gen 3.

That's why I'm confused.  The order said Gen 2 (CPO was in the description so thinking it is Certified Pre Owned?) but my Sprint Account says Gen 3.  I checked in the box and it says AU544, so I want to say it's a Gen 2.

23 minutes ago, TimmyTwo2 said:

That's why I'm confused.  The order said Gen 2 (CPO was in the description so thinking it is Certified Pre Owned?) but my Sprint Account says Gen 3.  I checked in the box and it says AU544, so I want to say it's a Gen 2.

Gotta love Sprints device backend!

As far as we are told, GEN 3's aren't shipping out til November time frame. 

Good to put your name on the list now if you need one. These used Magic Boxes allows Sprint to work off some of the backlog. Magic boxes don't work for everyone or needs change (moving, site improvements, etc) so some do get returned. Certified previously owned sounds reasonable as some did fail as well.
I think you are correct on the usb ports.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

What changes do they enable?
VoLTE support, better uplink, better stability and reliability, and wifi. WiFi is disabled and can't be user enabled, but the menu for it is there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ingenium said:

VoLTE support, better uplink, better stability and reliability, and wifi. WiFi is disabled and can't be user enabled, but the menu for it is there.

Does the also apply for the first gen ones as well? 

Does the also apply for the first gen ones as well? 
By first gen, do you mean the 540 (color screen) that wasn't generally available to the public? Or the 545 (e-ink non-backlit display)? I have it on my 545, but haven't powered on my 540 in a while.

I would imagine that it would apply to all versions.

8 hours ago, ingenium said:

Neat! Why would WiFi be currently disabled?

Neat! Why would WiFi be currently disabled?
I believe it's the management interface for the hospitality version. Or it's possible that Sprint has plans to offer arrangements to businesses to provide them with non-public or public wifi in exchange for installing magic boxes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ingenium said:

By first gen, do you mean the 540 (color screen) that wasn't generally available to the public? Or the 545 (e-ink non-backlit display)? I have it on my 545, but haven't powered on my 540 in a while.

I would imagine that it would apply to all versions.

The 545.

3 hours ago, cyclone said:

To keep heavy data usage by computers/laptops from connecting to the MB. It's purpose is not a free for all unlimited hotspot

I thought the WiFi was for backhaul. Am I mistaken on this?

At my previous apartment I unplugged my Magic Box because I was receiving higher speeds without it. At my new apartment, I only have Band 25 with speeds that top out around 9Mbps. Yesterday I decided to plug in my Magic Box. It set up way faster than I remember and speeds were initially pretty bad at around 4Mbps with super high pings. Today I ran a speed test and my Magic Box is getting 46.3Mbps down and 4.11Mbps up with a ping of 57ms. I don't know what type of adjustments it did overnight but WOW!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Member21 said:

I have confirmed that my magic box has received the latest update.  However, interestingly, WiFi does not show up in the menu (not that it matters, since everyone is saying it shows as disabled).  

What Model Number of Magic Box do you have?

21 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

I don't know what type of adjustments it did overnight but WOW!

Active smartphones in cars are followed by MIMO which can bring the Band 41 to your Magic Box, which then locks onto that signal. Unlike a smartphone, the Magic Box does not let go.  Just do not unnecessarily reboot the Magic Box.  

• Like 1