Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

Thank you all for the info!  Another thing to point out...the experience I shared was of my 2nd MB (which is a replacement for my 1st MB, which worked fine except the box itself made an annoying high pitched whining noise).  When I used my 1st MB, SC lite would not even report the band, it would just say "LTE".  

Wow. Sprint sent me 2 large boxes...same as the one the MB came in. One has the RMA paper for the MB...the other, the PCS return kit envelop with the return label. Both boxes had the cardboard shell thing for the MB. It does say to keep the "battery pack" so no worries there. But now i have 2 extra brown boxes and the original MB box....LOL. what a waste.

8 minutes ago, speedingcheetah said:

How long does it take for Sprint to process the return and remove the Magic Box form your account?  

Tracking shows "Trailer Dropped" 3 days at at 9am. So its been delivered to them.

You should call Sprint and get it removed. While the MagicBox isn't charged a monthly fee, I believe there are taxes associated with it that are charged to you (or at least that was one of the claims made around the web). 

Maybe someone can verify if this is the case or not. I'd still play it on the safe side and call.

3 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

You should call Sprint and get it removed. While the MagicBox isn't charged a monthly fee, I believe there are taxes associated with it that are charged to you (or at least that was one of the claims made around the web). 

Maybe someone can verify if this is the case or not. I'd still play it on the safe side and call.

There automated system just keeps hanging up on me.

I try to use the app on phone or login into the Spritn account via website. I keep getting "Connection error try again later." or some whit page with some html code says 404 oject not found.

I was able to get the Sprint chat to work:

Sprint do not charge the customer for Magic Box, the device get receive at the ware house however it may take few more days to get it update in inventory.

Be assured there would be no charge in your account for Magic Box, as soon as the device get update in inventory the number will be remove from your account.

The process is not manual , i wish if i could do it for you right now. However it is automatic feature. The line get remove automatically from account once the device get update in Inventory.

Do not worry, the number get remove very soon.

As there is no charge for the Magic Box so there would be no difference in your account.

Only line number get remove, rest of the things would be same. 

If it is showing delivered that means the device is returned now, i was correct the inventory is not updated yet. It will take 4-5 more days to get it update in inventory.

Edited by speedingcheetah

I noticed the MB was removed from my account today. So only took 3 days since it was delivered. Not bad.

(i originally looked at the wrong tracking info, the one for the incoming return kit...oops. that the Friday before i contacted Sprint. MB was delivered to them Tues. Removed by Fri of same week.)

Edited by speedingcheetah

47 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Anyway to force yourself not to connect to this pos? Just came in the mail I don't need it I'm getting a much slower speed especially ping with this heap of junk. 

Unplug it and let the battery die.

3 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

Unplug it and let the battery die.

Two other people in my house have iphones that have terrible rf performance so I can't just unplug it. Service is just perfect on my S9+, so I have to suffer now while they don't.

Still shit, averaging 7Mbps down and .50 up ping averaging 80ms or worse. This is absolutely terrible, I was averaging 20+ and 7-8 up on an actual B41 tower ping never above 35, hell even B25 10x10 was getting me at least 15-20. Speeds don't concern me as much as ping times, 70+ is terrible and not what I am used to getting with Sprint as I average under 35 usually in the 20's, that's quite a noticeable difference. Magic box sucks and sadly I didn't even want the damn thing, but now I suffer for the times I need to be on LTE.

7 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Still shit, averaging 7Mbps down and .50 up ping averaging 80ms or worse. This is absolutely terrible, I was averaging 20+ and 7-8 up on an actual B41 tower ping never above 35, hell even B25 10x10 was getting me at least 15-20. Speeds don't concern me as much as ping times, 70+ is terrible and not what I am used to getting with Sprint as I average under 35 usually in the 20's, that's quite a noticeable difference. Magic box sucks and sadly I didn't even want the damn thing, but now I suffer for the times I need to be on LTE.

How long have you had it installed? It's way more sophisticated than most people think. Leave it alone for a few days while it self optimizes. 

2 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

How long have you had it installed? It's way more sophisticated than most people think. Leave it alone for a few days while it self optimizes. 

A few hours too long at this point, no chance on unplugging it so it will have plenty of time to annoy me.

Edited by BlueAngel

9 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

A few hours too long at this point, no chance on unplugging it so it will have plenty of time to annoy me.

Leave it alone, the pings will improve. I've seen my pings go from 70-80 to 30-50 after a while on the MB.

23 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Have you read anything about it or generally about LTE UE Relay in particular?

A Magic Box, and most relay fed small cells adds a hop due to the fact it has to convert the connection from an LTE donor signal into a data ethernet connection for the small cell unit as a backhaul. As a result, latency is added which is usually twice that of the donor. 

Not sure why you're disparaging the MB like you did when it's working as described...

• Like 3

Just now, nexgencpu said:

Leave it alone, the pings will improve. I've seen my pings go from 70-80 to 30-50 after a while on the MB.

Hopefully they go down to the 30's otherwise I might just disable B41, it's THAT bad at least to me. 70-80ms on LTE feels like fast 3G which is terrible.

1 minute ago, lilotimz said:

Have you read anything about it or generally about LTE UE Relay in particular?

A Magic Box, and most relay fed small cells, by definition adds an hop due to the fact it has to convert the link from an LTE donor singal into a data ethernet connection for the small cell unit as a backhaul. As a result, latency is added due to the hop.

Not sure why you're disparaging the MB when it works as described. 

Wasn't my choice to get this box, was the other people in my house who have Sprint. I wouldn't have ever ordered this thing, no need I get great service unlike the shit iphones they have which is now making my experience worse.

Just now, BlueAngel said:

Wasn't my choice to get this box, was the other people in my house who have Sprint. I wouldn't have ever ordered this thing, no need I get great service unlike the shit iphones they have which is now making my experience worse.

With regards to slower data speeds, aim the back of the unit towards the 2.5 cell site you know works well. It sounds like you've accidentally aimed it at a slower site. The UE Relay antennas are extremely directional. 

1 minute ago, lilotimz said:

With regards to slower data speeds, aim the back of the unit towards the 2.5 cell site you know works well. It sounds like you've accidentally aimed it at a slower site. The UE Relay antennas are extremely directional. 

The data speeds aren't the issue pings are, they have more than doubled. I would gladly take 5Mbps with a 20ms ping over 50Mbps and 80ms.

Ping times do not self optimize on magic boxes. That's the magic boxes biggest flaw is it's bad ping times. For the people that though this is good for volte I don't think so.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The data speeds aren't the issue pings are, they have more than doubled. I would gladly take 5Mbps with a 20ms ping over 50Mbps and 80ms.
It may get better over time as it self optimizes but the increase in ping is to expected as I explained previously due to the additional hop as a result of the UE relay action.

I typically get 30-40 ms on the macro network and 60-70 ms on the MB and relay fed small cells.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've relocated the device to a different spot where I am pulling right now on B41 3xCA 90 down 2 up and 28ms ping. Hoping it improves when it finishes setting up. Yep still shit, max of around 40 down and 2 up ping is still the same at 75. So going to the magic box cut my download speed in half and ping more than doubled.

Edited by BlueAngel

31 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

Ping times do not self optimize on magic boxes. That's the magic boxes biggest flaw is it's bad ping times. For the people that though this is good for volte I don't think so.

I have found that after it's latest update my MB pings have improved by quite a bit. Used to be in the 70-90's. Now I'm seeing pings in the 40's (mind you, I do hit pings in the 20's directly from macro site so MB hop is adding 20-30ms) regardless of speed. 

I have found that after it's latest update my MB pings have improved by quite a bit. Used to be in the 70-90's. Now I'm seeing pings in the 40's (mind you, I do hit pings in the 20's directly from macro site do MB hop is adding 20-30ms) regardless of speed. 
Still though not the best solution for VoLTE. It is a technical marvel though and very innovative.