Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

Supposedly got an order in to replace my 2 MBs, but no confirmation yet. The rep also kept trying to get my to change my plan, and I reportedly said no. As soon as I hung up I got a text saying that my plan was changed.... Had to call back and get a different rep to cancel the plan change. So be vigilant for shady reps when ordering the magic box.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 10/28/2018 at 9:02 AM, chamb said:

Unless you have an air conditioned attic, the high summer heat may kill the Magic Box.

My magic box sits outside year-round. I have it in the ONLY spot that I've ever been able to remotely find a usable LTE signal (B25). What amazes me is that I can unplug the Magic Box and sit my phone (note 9) in the spot where the magic box is working fine...and my phone will not latch onto a B25 signal. It will, however, pick up a 1x800 ...but just not the LTE. Plug the MB back in and it works like it should. 

Granted I only get around 7mbps down and 1mbps up...it works. And it works reliably...

The only issue I've ever encountered with having it outside, under the carport, was when one of my kids moved the towel that I draped on the front of it and rain blew in and got into the inside. At that point the box kept working but the screen was unresponsive.  

I have changed the setup and placed a piece of heavy 4x4 on top of the towel on the shelf above the MB...and it's been fine for over  a year now, sitting outside. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, jonathanm1978 said:

My magic box sits outside year-round. I have it in the ONLY spot that I've ever been able to remotely find a usable LTE signal (B25). What amazes me is that I can unplug the Magic Box and sit my phone (note 9) in the spot where the magic box is working fine...and my phone will not latch onto a B25 signal. It will, however, pick up a 1x800 ...but just not the LTE. Plug the MB back in and it works like it should. 

Granted I only get around 7mbps down and 1mbps up...it works. And it works reliably...

The only issue I've ever encountered with having it outside, under the carport, was when one of my kids moved the towel that I draped on the front of it and rain blew in and got into the inside. At that point the box kept working but the screen was unresponsive.  

I have changed the setup and placed a piece of heavy 4x4 on top of the towel on the shelf above the MB...and it's been fine for over  a year now, sitting outside. 

photo? what are the max highs/lows of your area?

12 minutes ago, though said:

photo? what are the max highs/lows of your area?

I'm on my laptop right now, but I'll grab a photo in a little bit when it gets warmer... the speeds for this area ...if within range of the donor tower....are around 35mbps down, 15mbps up. I have yet to be able to find LTE anywhere on my property, or my neighbors, using just my phone. I can go further back behind my property and I'll get decent speeds up and down.

6 minutes ago, jonathanm1978 said:

I'm on my laptop right now, but I'll grab a photo in a little bit when it gets warmer... the speeds for this area ...if within range of the donor tower....are around 35mbps down, 15mbps up. I have yet to be able to find LTE anywhere on my property, or my neighbors, using just my phone. I can go further back behind my property and I'll get decent speeds up and down.

Sorry I meant temps hi/lows.

Just ordered an extra one,  a 3rd Gen for the office as I'm always on 3G but did not get a confirmation email yet according to the rep he will call me tomorrow to confirm and provide tracking number. He mentioned that I been with Sprint since 2005 and how do I like the service, I stated that it works well for me and thanked me.

4 hours ago, Kevster1321 said:

I checked the availability of the magic box in my area and it said the address is not available for the box. I just wanted to know if it will work because sprint does have service here in CT.

From my experience, the address checker is correct. You could try it. If it doesn't work, move it to a different location/business that could use it where the address checks out.

15 hours ago, Kevster1321 said:

I checked the availability of the magic box in my area and it said the address is not available for the box. I just wanted to know if it will work because sprint does have service here in CT.

Check this site to see if it will work in your area

https://www.sprint.com/landings/magic-box-eligibility/index.html

Just received my MB3, you guys will be pleasantly surprised at the size and weight. Allowing more options for placement. 

Nice screen too. So far so good, ping times/jitter are definitely better and more stable. Also speeds got a nice lil bump.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2018 at 10:55 AM, jonathanm1978 said:

Attics can reach 130-140ºF, though. Outside might be a bit more tolerable for the MB, unless you live in the Sahara.  🙂 

So my dad got a Gen 2 (I think) in like July, never got it to pull in a signal [posted here about it, but no joy], and I haven't been home to mess with it since then.

How do I get this Gen 3? Call in and say the Gen 2 didn't work for us and we'd like to try the Gen 3? Is there a specific number to call or just tell the CSR drone what we need?

Preferably, I'd like for it to be home there when I drive back for Christmas weekend so I can set it up for them. 

34 minutes ago, mmark27 said:

So my dad got a Gen 2 (I think) in like July, never got it to pull in a signal [posted here about it, but no joy], and I haven't been home to mess with it since then.

How do I get this Gen 3? Call in and say the Gen 2 didn't work for us and we'd like to try the Gen 3? Is there a specific number to call or just tell the CSR drone what we need?

Preferably, I'd like for it to be home there when I drive back for Christmas weekend so I can set it up for them. 

Ask for the Magic Box Gold, once the order is placed, then ask for a return label for the old one.

• Like 3

My Gen2 died about a month ago.  Just called MB support and they told me the MB Gold is out of stock and to call back a week from Friday.  I'm thinking I need to call back and check tomorrow morning.  The girl kept hitting mute and didn't seem to know what she was doing.  Meanwhile, I have a return kit being sent for the Gen 2.