Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

1 hour ago, mirskyc said:

Does the backhaul module basically connect to the cell via Ethernet?

yes

Could someone take apart a Magic Box and use the relay for free internet? 

no

In no way am I encouraging any illegal activity I'm just wondering if its possible or this is something Sprint has implemented security features against.

yes

• Like 1

Now I am no expert and this could be wrong but I believe the box won't hand shake with cell tower unless it is registered with spring. Each magic box is linked to a account tampering with a unit would most likely get sprints attention they would surely suspend your account and ban you from their service indefinitely.

I've taken a peek inside a Gen2 magic box and didn't see anything resembling good 'ol RJ-45 ethernet, but it may use ethernet over a proprietary ribbon cable of some sort. 

Unless someone has cracked into one deeper than I have and knows otherwise! ? 

On 6/27/2018 at 11:15 PM, Bob Newhart said:

The MBs have WiFi that isn't used yet.

Yup, sure does. Sprint has no plans right now to turn it on.

On 7/3/2018 at 2:19 AM, Bob Newhart said:

Anything is possible.

Very likely we will never see the WiFi feature used if the merger goes through. And even on the slim chance the merger fails, Sprint has said they're not interested in offering WISP services.

It looks like WiFi may just be on the apparatus for diagnostic purposes.

A rep asked at Mobile World Congress, asked the fate of Sprint's Magic Box if the merger goes through... Sprint would not answer question.Sprint Magic Box Uncertain future if Merger green lighted... Sprint didn't answer  

Edited by dro1984
corrected text

31 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

A rep asked at Mobile World Congress, asked the fate of Sprint's Magic Box if the merger goes through... Sprint would not answer question.Sprint Magic Box Uncertain future if Merger green lighted... Sprint didn't answer  

It would be pretty dumb for the "new tmobile" to not adopt the MB. Since they could potentially even add other spectrum to broadcast, like MMWAVE..

I'm not a fan of the whole Magic box thing.   I always just considered it a band aid on a poorly spaced network with too few of towers and horrible low band availability.    Some areas don't even have 800.   

I had a magic box, got annoyed and sent it back.    If the merger goes through, I don't think there will be a real need for MB anymore.   New T-Mobile with have 600 mHz, 700, 800, 1700, 1900, 2100 and B41 (2500 mHz).   

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

I'm not a fan of the whole Magic box thing.   I always just considered it a band aid on a poorly spaced network with too few of towers and horrible low band availability.

Out west, where houses are made of stucco and signals can't get inside, the Magic Box would allow you to essentially place a relay in a window to get signal through that would otherwise be blocked by the stucco.  Seems pretty useful to me.

- Trip

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

I'm not a fan of the whole Magic box thing.   I always just considered it a band aid on a poorly spaced network with too few of towers and horrible low band availability.    Some areas don't even have 800.   

I had a magic box, got annoyed and sent it back.    If the merger goes through, I don't think there will be a real need for MB anymore.   New T-Mobile with have 600 mHz, 700, 800, 1700, 1900, 2100 and B41 (2500 mHz).   

Every carrier has dead zones unfortunately. Also, your experience most definirely does not reflect everyone else's. There are a couple of building in midtown that I visit that are like a fortresses, only 1x800 work on Sprint Tmobile and Att are completely dead and V can only make 3G calls, Plopped a MB now it covers two of the floors with perfect B41 signal.

• Like 1

Part of the reason why they may want get rid of it is because they want as few people using Band 41 for LTE as possible so they can use all of it for 5G services. When they decide to do fixed wireless over 5G, we may see a 5G Magic Box released instead.

5 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

Part of the reason why they may want get rid of it is because they want as few people using Band 41 for LTE as possible so they can use all of it for 5G services. When they decide to do fixed wireless over 5G, we may see a 5G Magic Box released instead.

That's exactly my point. They already mentioned a 5G MagicBox. Since it does indeed broadcast Wifi as well. Once you have 2 or 3 million of these in the wild, you could potentially add fixed wireless services to your arsenal.

5 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

so another partially baked plan by Sprint that's not fully deployed then they decide to change it.   I hope this isn't the case.   They can't afford to keep doing this. 

1 minute ago, nexgencpu said:

That's exactly my point. They already mentioned a 5G MagicBox. Since it does indeed broadcast Wifi as well. Once you have 2 or 3 million of these in the wild, you could potentially add fixed wireless services to your arsenal.

I hope you're correct Nexgen... that would be great... but I'm not believing until I see it.  

3 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

I hope you're correct Nexgen... that would be great... but I'm not believing until I see it.  

For Sprint alone, it might not make a ton of sense to deploy fixed services because you will potentially cannibalize your spectrum. But Sprint+Tmobile will have quite a bit of spectrum to go around.

3 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

It would be pretty dumb for the "new tmobile" to not adopt the MB. Since they could potentially even add other spectrum to broadcast, like MMWAVE..

It will probably be smart of them. They are planning on using the entire band for 5G, which wouldn't leave any room for the MagicBox to operate in.

If people really need in-building coverage, there will be Nationwide B71, T-Mobile Signal Boosters, T-Mobile Cellspot, and Wifi calling. 

1 hour ago, greenbastard said:

It will probably be smart of them. They are planning on using the entire band for 5G, which wouldn't leave any room for the MagicBox to operate in.

If people really need in-building coverage, there will be Nationwide B71, T-Mobile Signal Boosters, T-Mobile Cellspot, and Wifi calling. 

Unfortunately, there are scenarios where none of those are an option. Also, allocating 20mhz out of the combined Sprint+Tmobile would have minimal impact on the grand scheme of things to their spectral bottom line. Plus none of those other devices are able to broadcast a WiFi signal from a relay.

Just a heads up on my Magic Box experience as of this weekend...

Took the MB to a cabin we frequent. This is the first time I've taken the MB, since it's on fringe B25 signal, I figured I would give it a try. The MB booted and connected promptly to the donor tower. My Pixel 2 XL connected to it reasonably fast, probably within 5-10 minutes after complete. However, my wife's Pixel 2 XL (same phone as me) WOULD NOT connect to it at all the entire 40 hours we were there. I tried doing a PRL update, Update device config, Airplane toggles, reboots, etc. It simply would not connect to the MB. Instead it bounced between B25, B26, and 3G.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll share my magic box experience.  First got the magic box last winter for use in the Birmingham area.  It connected to band 25 but provided consistent 20 to 30 mb downloads.  Recently moved to Atlanta suburbs and plugged in the magic box,  and it connected to a weak band 41 signal (-118 db with poor SINR).  Speeds now are terrible,  1 mb to as high as 4 or 5 mb.  Very disappointed.