Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

4 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

Still though not the best solution for VoLTE. It is a technical marvel though and very innovative.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jitter is actually more important for VoLTE. Pings do affect response time, but QOS with 30-50ms should work ok.

• Like 1

My pings on my magic box are in the mid 60s usually. It got better after the latest software update, down from the 80s. It might take a couple days for the software to push to yours.

Honestly, I don't really notice a difference at pings that low as long as the speed isn't slow. I can't tell when I'm on my MB, my Airave (about the same ping due to the ipsec tunnel), or the macro unless I get on b25/26 which are both congested (20ms-ish pings, but super slow, often sub megabit).

What are you doing where pings of 60-80 ms are causing you noticeable problems?

Also, if you're concerned about speed, run multiple speed tests back to back. Your phone is pretty aggressive at engaging CA immediately, but the magic box is "lazy" and will only engage it once there's been sustained data use for a bit. I would guess this is by design actually, so resource blocks aren't unnecessarily tied up by a high priority UE (the MB).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

I've relocated the device to a different spot where I am pulling right now on B41 3xCA 90 down 2 up and 28ms ping. Hoping it improves when it finishes setting up. Yep still shit, max of around 40 down and 2 up ping is still the same at 75. So going to the magic box cut my download speed in half and ping more than doubled.

Use Wi-Fi. Problem solved.

• Like 2

Works very nice for me using call continuity. It’s not volte but better than 1x. 

I start the call in WiFi and after it connects I drop WiFi and the call transfers to the MB with barely a hiccup. 

J

• Like 2

I've had the MB for awhile now and up till today I haven't really seen many improvements except for increased battery life on my phone. Typically would see 8-25Mbps down whether connected to the MB or not. 

Randomly did a speed test and found speeds have increased quite dramatically with my highest being 60Mbps down / 4.5 up with a 50 ping  I restarted the MB to see whether my phone would grab any new towers but I just connected to b25 10x10 and had a speed test of  5 Mbps down.  (edit:  managed to connect to band 41 nearby and got similar speed improvements, so I guess something in my surrounding area has changed)

Not sure whats changed but I'm impressed. 

I'm curious, has anyone stumbled upon a MB connection in the wild?.  Also, I've had many calls with voLTE/callingplus with the hidden VoLTE setting enabled on the galaxy S8 while connected to the MB and haven't noticed any delays or quality issues while speaking...although I haven't been looking for it either.

Does the MB retain it's optimization across power outages (planned or unplanned).

If yes, are the settings stored in non-volatile memory or is there a battery backed storage
with a time limit before the settings are lost?

Not sure whats changed but I'm impressed. 
I'm curious, has anyone stumbled upon a MB connection in the wild?. 

Yes, I've connected to probably 10+ in the wild.

Does the MB retain it's optimization across power outages (planned or unplanned).
If yes, are the settings stored in non-volatile memory or is there a battery backed storage
with a time limit before the settings are lost?

Yes, it's stored, since it doesn't rerun the initial setup. It's "sticky" and will reconnect to the same donor and same band as it was on previously. Only if this isn't found will it look for something else to connect to.

Most models don't have batteries, and they behave the same. So it's stored on flash storage internally.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Amazing how my MB will use ANY B41 signal over a B25. I’m in a very marginal B41 area CINR as low as -120 perhaps lower. Once it latched on to a -100 B25 signal but only for a short time when it switched back to the much poorer B41 signal. 

I got my MB in January and noticed the B41 signal getting progressively worse beginning in March. My guess is the foliage is blocking the signal. Hopefully it can still find a useable signal when the trees are full. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2018 at 10:37 PM, SeanK_ said:

You forgot something.

:)

But look at these links, connect the dots.

http://s4gru.com/entry/431-psa-4th-iteration-gen-3-magic-box-incoming/

http://s4gru.com/forums/topic/7758-official-airave-3-lte-s1000-nsc-thread/?do=findComment&comment=514904

Look at the spec page.

https://www.airspan.com/airunity/

Look at what it can do, that it isn't doing now.

Have any specs been released by anyone yet?
WIll it have CDMA voice support?

That would be awesome if the next generation Magic Box had voice support. That would help me out at my cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Bob Newhart said:

Have any specs been released by anyone yet?

http://s4gru.com/forums/topic/7711-official-magic-box-discussion-thread/?do=findComment&comment=529863

I have a good lead on what the Relay module will be but will not state anything until further confirmations. 

16 hours ago, Bob Newhart said:

WIll it have CDMA voice support

24 minutes ago, bookertdub said:

That would be awesome if the next generation Magic Box had voice support. That would help me out at my cabin.

No. Airspan is strictly a LTE RAN and future NR RAN provider. 

Voice will be supported when opt in VoLTE becomes available this coming fall.

• Like 1

We'll I'd guess I'll keep the current Magic Box then. Has anyone figured out the advantages the next generation Magic Box has that the current one doesn't.

• Like 1

how does one return a magic box? I cancelled my sprint service about a month ago and haven't heard anything from them about returning it.  I also emailed booster@sprint.com a few weeks ago asking how to return it, but so far haven't heard anything back

15 minutes ago, happyGuy said:

how does one return a magic box? I cancelled my sprint service about a month ago and haven't heard anything from them about returning it.  I also emailed booster@sprint.com a few weeks ago asking how to return it, but so far haven't heard anything back

Try 844-463-3194. 

On 6/19/2018 at 1:39 PM, lilotimz said:

http://s4gru.com/forums/topic/7711-official-magic-box-discussion-thread/?do=findComment&comment=529863

I have a good lead on what the Relay module will be but will not state anything until further confirmations. 

What do you mean by relay module?

Random question and didn't know where to post but just saw this thread and its perfect. Not sure if its been answered yet. I know the Magic Box is basically two components. 1. the small/pico cell itself and 2. the backhaul relay. I was wondering how they connect. Does the backhaul module basically connect to the cell via Ethernet? Could someone take apart a Magic Box and use the relay for free internet? In no way am I encouraging any illegal activity I'm just wondering if its possible or this is something Sprint has implemented security features against.