Moto X 2015 "Pure Edition" [users thread]

nexuss4g

Main reason why I left android and went to Apple is because I felt the need to root my phone to have a good experience with it. To constantly have to keep up on what worked and what didn't was too ridiculous for me to continue down that path.

I'm really considering either a 5X or a MXPE due to comments I've seen here on how well put together the androids have become lately. From the short time I spent with a note 4 I felt it was a good experience but missed some key elements that made me want to go back to my Apple.

Waiting for more user feedback before I pull the trigger on either device.

Well, it's apparent you never really used your root so I can understand the need to not care about it.  I actually USE my rooted device (think Tasker and Secure Settings for starters.) so rooting matters to me more than just getting rid of bloat apps.

Such a gross generalization here.  Making assumptions about how and why one utilizes their mobile device.  As I've come to learn with age, to each their own...

That's a remarkably astute statement. I'm sincerely curious - what insight gleaned from my comments has enabled you to reach such an incisive conclusion?

Have a great evening,

John

I used to root them all too. My Moto X 2014 was my first device that worked great and never felt the need to root. Also never rooted my Nexus 6 after that. I don't know if modern Android devices are just that good, or I'm just over all that. But I don't miss it or feel like I need to.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This is the first device that I haven't rooted.  Unless Motorola leaves us high and dry for updates (which it doesn't appear, yet) or they break something so bad that the only way to fix is root, I'm really satisfied with this phone.  Everything just works, i honestly can't say that about any other device I've ever had.

My android experience had always been with HTC or Samsung, so there has always been massive skins.  In the early days of Android, there was that need, but not any longer.  I first rooted for custom ROMs on my HTC EVO, then CM to get the clean android experience once WiMax got working.  My next three devices were Samsungs S2, Note 2, S4T which were all good phones, but the TouchWiz OS just annoyed the crap out of me.  I rooted to either debloat, enable added features, fix Samsung bugs, or run the current CM release.

I think the oddest reason I had to root was the S2/Epic 4g Touch.  The modem was terrible from day one with dropped calls, random roaming, not connecting, etc.  Had to have custom kernels to reset the radio so it would connect.  Then the SuperBrick bug with the eMMC issues, that device was a disaster.  I still managed to sell it for $150 after 15ish months to get my Note 2.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone with a MXPE having issues with 3G data? 

Last week I activated a new Moto X Pure Edition on the Sprint network via MVNO Ting.  The phone appeared to activate just fine.  Voice, text, LTE, Wi-Fi, and 1x data are all working without any obvious issues. 

3G data is not working.  If I set Preferred Network Type to "LTE (recommended)", mobile data works on LTE but if I travel to an area that has not yet been upgraded to LTE, it will not drop back to 3G.  Further, if I choose 3G as the Preferred Network Type regardless of whether the phone is connected to an LTE tower or a non-LTE tower, I get no data connection.  Same for Global - no 3G connection.

HOWEVER, if I choose "1x" as the Preferred Network Type (whether in an LTE area or not) then the phone will establish a data connection.  The phone reports this connection as 3G in the status bar but the speed is so unusable that I doubt it can be a 3G connection.

I've done a carrier wipe a couple of times, updated the device config (profile) and updated the PRL.  Nothing changed.  I did not have this issue with my Nexus 5.

SignalCheck Pro reports that mobile data is unregistered.  Is registration of 3G data tied to the SIM card or to the MEID of the phone itself?  Why would I be able to get a 1x data connection but not 3G?

Ting is suggesting network problems but I'm not sure as the problem has persisted through several cities around west Texas and eastern New Mexico and throughout Lubbock TX which has many cell towers.

Is the SIM for the MXPE compatible with my old Nexus 5?  I'm wondering if swapping the SIM to the N5 will help with diagnosing the problem.

Thanks for any help.  This one is puzzling.

DC

Are you using the exact CSIM required for this device as listed earlier in this thread?

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

Not sure.  The phone was ordered from Motorola with a "Sprint" SIM.  Ting initially said the Sprint SIM would work. The phone arrived with the SIM installed and without any material that would identify the model number.  The only text on the SIM is: ICC Sprint 63.08a

How can I verify that this is SIM model SIMGLW446C?

DC

Ting is wanting to try manually reprogramming the phone but so far we've not been able to gain access to the manual programming screens.  Their system shows the MSL to be 000000 but that doesn't work when trying to access the manual progamming.  They also tried 123456 which didn't work.  I'm waiting on response from Motorola but wondered if anyone here knows how to find the correct MSL or how to gain access to the programming screens if the MSL really is 000000.

Also, Ting sent me a new SIM.  It's marked the same as the current one.  Haven't tried it yet as they want to be involved when I install it and trying activating again.

DC

Ting is wanting to try manually reprogramming the phone but so far we've not been able to gain access to the manual programming screens. Their system shows the MSL to be 000000 but that doesn't work when trying to access the manual progamming. They also tried 123456 which didn't work. I'm waiting on response from Motorola but wondered if anyone here knows how to find the correct MSL or how to gain access to the programming screens if the MSL really is 000000.

Also, Ting sent me a new SIM. It's marked the same as the current one. Haven't tried it yet as they want to be involved when I install it and trying activating again.

DC

It seems you can get it fairly easy, if you have root.

http://androidforums.com/threads/easiest-fastest-way-to-get-your-msl-code.470294

Sent from my Nexus 5X

It seems you can get it fairly easy, if you have root.

http://androidforums.com/threads/easiest-fastest-way-to-get-your-msl-code.470294

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Thanks.  Motorola has made it clear that unlocking the bootloader (necessary for root) voids the warranty on this phone so I won't chance rooting until I determine if the phone has to be replaced.  Not sure I'd root this phone anyway.  Not much to be gained and it makes it a hassle to get updates.

DC

• Like 1

Glad I went for the x pure over the 5x. 2 gigs of ram is used before I open any apps it seems. Although after switching to Verizon (looking out for the ban hammer) the droid turbo 2 looks great except for the price tag.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Glad I went for the x pure over the 5x. 2 gigs of ram is used before I open any apps it seems. Although after switching to Verizon (looking out for the ban hammer) the droid turbo 2 looks great except for the price tag.

Why would you be banned? It's your money. We always advocate that members do what's best for their circumstances.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Anyone knows if 2x CA is working on their Moto X Pure? I just updated my Signal Check pro app and it shows when I'm on 2x CA...but the speeds NEVER go over 78mbps no matter how perfect the conditions and my signal is...

Anyone knows if 2x CA is working on their Moto X Pure? I just updated my Signal Check pro app and it shows when I'm on 2x CA...but the speeds NEVER go over 78mbps no matter how perfect the conditions and my signal is...

Ookla doesn't recognize CA on all its servers, so there's a possibly that's the problem.

Signal Check Pro tells you when you're on the second B41 carrier.  It does not tell you when you're on CA.  Therefore, you were likely on just one carrier at a time and why your speeds have not exceeded 78Mbps.

Signal Check Pro tells you when you're on the second B41 carrier. It does not tell you when you're on CA. Therefore, you were likely on just one carrier at a time and why your speeds have not exceeded 78Mbps.

Not according to what I've seen withing the app... Also, they even stated in the app description.

ece3d4fd1087b2d75c0b8c720b2604dd.jpg

Edited by ttwiitch

As Robert stated, signal check pro can only indicate when your connected to the first or second carriers. It cannot display when your connected to the 2xCA bonded channels. 

What most have observed is that when the second carrier is available, CA is most likely enabled, but that doesn't necessarily mean your connected in CA mode.

Not according to what I've seen withing the app... Also, they even stated in the app description.

• Like 1

No, you misunderstand the second carrier designation.  The second carrier does not necessarily mean that CA is active.  If that were the case, then only CA capable devices would be allowed to use the second carrier.  It would sit idle most of the time -- that would be poor network management.  Instead, traffic is split up between the carriers.  Sometimes, you will be on the first carrier, other times on the second carrier, other times with CA on both carriers.

AJ

No, you misunderstand the second carrier designation. The second carrier does not necessarily mean that CA is active. If that were the case, then only CA capable devices would be allowed to use the second carrier. It would sit idle most of the time -- that would be poor network management. Instead, traffic is split up between the carriers. Sometimes, you will be on the first carrier, other times on the second carrier, other times with CA on both carriers.

AJ

Oh, makes sense. Thx for clearing it up. Still, kind of sad... The Moto X Pure is capable of CA yet its not 'active' :(

Oh, makes sense. Thx for clearing it up. Still, kind of sad... The Moto X Pure is capable of CA yet its not 'active' :(

Could it be plan related? I can definitely see sprint disabling CA on unlimited plans.

Could it be plan related? I can definitely see sprint disabling CA on unlimited plans.

My wife is upgrading to the iPhone 6S in a couple of days... I will find out then, but I doubt it. No difference between 50-60-70+mbps unlimited to 100+ unlimited. Those are huge chunks of data regardless.

There is no real evidence to support this theory quite yet. You need to show that other devices are connecting to CA and yours is not before you can make that statement.

Absolutely not.

Sent from my LG G4

• Like 3