Moto X 2015 "Pure Edition" [users thread]

nexuss4g

In fringe coverage or weak signal locations, it can be touch and go. 

Thanks AJ, I appreciate the specific feedback. Some days, it seems like all of San Diego has "fringe coverage"  :wacko:  But then I look at my wife's Note4 and see that she's enjoying LTE while my M8 is stuck on 3G.

Have a great day,

John

Coming from galaxy s4t which had the best radio performance of any device I've ever used, there is a small drop. Fringe LTE bounces between LTE and eHRPD. I live rurally, first floor of my house used to be LTE B41 or B25 except the center bathroom which would drop to eHRPD. Now first floor is eHRPD and B25, occasional B41. Second floor LTE B41 & B25 are fine.

In the city with urban coverage, it's rock solid.

Sent from Moto X Pure via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks AJ, I appreciate the specific feedback. Some days, it seems like all of San Diego has "fringe coverage"  :wacko:  But then I look at my wife's Note4 and see that she's enjoying LTE while my M8 is stuck on 3G.

On Sprint, HTC handsets seem prone to premature fallback to eHRPD/EV-DO.  I would put the 2015 Moto X a notch above the HTC handsets but a notch below the other handsets I mentioned.

AJ

• Like 1

I concur with that experience.  It mirrors my own.  With solid, urban coverage, cellular RF performance is quite good.  Signal strength is right up there with known strong performers, and tri band switching is seamless -- although the switch to band 41 can seem to be few seconds late at times.

AJ

• Like 1

Thanks for that. San Diego has low hills and lots of canyons, but I tend to be in business or tech corridors that have good coverage. Keeping and holding the signal is important, not just for data but also for voice.

On Sprint, HTC handsets seem prone to premature fallback to eHRPD/EV-DO.  

There ought to be a law against that  ;)

There ought to be a law against that  ;)

No, there ought to be a pill for "premature fallback."

AJ

• Like 4

No, there ought to be a pill for "premature fallback."

AJ

I thought that was the reset connection in SCP Pro or airplane mode for non-rooted devices

Sent from Moto X Pure via Tapatalk

• Like 1

lol

I better start paying closer attention to the AARP special offers in my mailbox!

If you are close to AARP age, I doubt you have to worry about "premature fallback."  That is more of an overly excited teenager problem.  Instead, you have to worry about "getting up" your "4G" in the first place.  I think the pill for that is called LTEvitra.

AJ

• Like 3

If you are close to AARP age, I doubt you have to worry about "premature fallback."  That is more of an overly excited teenager problem.  Instead, you have to worry about "getting up" your "4G" in the first place.  I think the pill for that is called LTEvitra.

AJ

You are the king of corn  ;)

My wife thought it was funny when I first got an AARP card. But the free wifi at hotels so that I can read S4GRU when my M8 can't pull in LTE (and of course the hotel & travel discounts) more than pay for the membership!

• Like 1

Coming from an LG G3, this phone has the most amazing reception I've ever experienced. Signal for voice and data show 1-3 bars more where I would normally get 0-1 with my G3. Speeds are more consistent and maintained.

Not just because it's a new device, but I love this phone!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Coming from an LG G3, this phone has the most amazing reception I've ever experienced

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I'm looking at the Nexus 6P and the iPhone 6S as well as the new Moto X. As much as I like the iPhone's quality and good radio performance, I like the freedom of Android even more.

So for me, it's coming down to the Moto X which I can get right now, the Nexus for which I'll have to wait a month, or the iPhone which will require me to change my workflow. I guess it will depend upon how much longer I can tolerate my M8.

Have a great evening!

Coming from an LG G3, this phone has the most amazing reception I've ever experienced. Signal for voice and data show 1-3 bars more where I would normally get 0-1 with my G3. Speeds are more consistent and maintained.

Not just because it's a new device, but I love this phone!

*Bars* is NOT a good representation of network strength. Bars will be displayed different on every device, and will even be different on the same device running different OS versions. Signal readings from the engineering screen, Signal Check, LTE Discovery, etc. are the only way to compare signal strength. 

For example, the latest version of Android 5.1 shows what appears to be 2 bars with a signal of -114dBm, while 5.0 show 0 bars.

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I'm looking at the Nexus 6P and the iPhone 6S as well as the new Moto X. As much as I like the iPhone's quality and good radio performance, I like the freedom of Android even more.

So for me, it's coming down to the Moto X which I can get right now, the Nexus for which I'll have to wait a month, or the iPhone which will require me to change my workflow. I guess it will depend upon how much longer I can tolerate my M8.

Have a great evening!

Of you don't care about getting the newest version of Android 1-2 months later than the Nexus' the Moto X Pure is your best option. Android, great hardware, amazing stock software with Moto added features, customization, and great reception.

Of you don't care about getting the newest version of Android 1-2 months later than the Nexus' the Moto X Pure is your best option. Android, great hardware, amazing stock software with Moto added features, customization, and great reception.

Owning both the G3 and G4, and comparing with AJ's Moto x, I would counter that the reception on the Moto X is average. The G4 bests it by 1 or 3dB at times (b26) while at other times they are very close (b41). The G4 gets only slightly better reception than the G3. Given that observation, I would put the reception on the Moto X and the G3 at nearly equal. Your perception based on bars is inaccurate. 

Of you don't care about getting the newest version of Android 1-2 months later than the Nexus' the Moto X Pure is your best option. 

This is one of my requirements - direct updates from the manufacturer, not held hostage by the carrier. I'm worried about Moto's commitment to timely Android updates since their purchase by Lenovo.

Owning both the G3 and G4, and comparing with AJ's Moto x, I would counter that the reception on the Moto X is average. The G4 bests it by 1 or 3dB at times (b26) while at other times they are very close (b41). The G4 gets only slightly better reception than the G3. Given that observation, I would put the reception on the Moto X and the G3 at nearly equal.

Thanks for the added insight and comparison.

I so wished for the Nexus 5X to be spec'd a bit better in the RAM and memory departments, because the LG Nexus phones were so well done. 2GB RAM might be just enough, but I want a little better. And there's just no way I can get by with only 32GB and no SD card. Sprint's network in San Diego is just not reliable enough for me to depend entirely on Google Drive while I'm out and about!

So far it's either going to be Moto X wtih 64GB and SD card, or Nexus 6P with 128GB. Best radios win!

• Like 1

This is one of my requirements - direct updates from the manufacturer, not held hostage by the carrier. I'm worried about Moto's commitment to timely Android updates since their purchase by Lenovo.

As you should be.

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2015/10/marshmallow-and-smore.html

If you look at the list you will see that the 2014 Moto x is not on there. Also missing is the 2014 AND 2015 Moto E

Now I am pretty sure the Pure will be better supported but I would be a rich man if I won every bet I was pretty sure of.. and I am not a rich man.

• Like 2

So, has anyone rooted the Moto X 2015 yet? :)

Haven't found a need.  If you want to just unlock to bootloader and flash TWRP, then SuperSU.

Motorola Forum Reps have confirmed that unlocking voids your warranty as this is not a developer device

• Like 1

There is a halfway decently popular thread over at XDA about a soak test or "test drive" for new software for the Moto X Pure.  Sounds like invitees got two emails, the first a longer survey about thier device, then a second about encryption.

Typical NDA talk, hopefully none of them get whacked due to posting.

Assuming the work towards Marshmallow for the Pure/Style is well under way :)

As you should be.

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2015/10/marshmallow-and-smore.html

If you look at the list you will see that the 2014 Moto x is not on there. Also missing is the 2014 AND 2015 Moto E

Yes, saw that. Very disappointing. Last year's flagship is left high and dry.

Haven't found a need.  If you want to just unlock to bootloader and flash TWRP, then SuperSU.

I've rooted every Android device I've ever owned. And I've jailbroken each of my iPhones. You know what, I'm kinda tired of it. I just want a clean, unbloated phone that will do what I want and will get reasonably fast OS upgrades for a reasonable length of time. At least two years, right?

I don't want to flash a custom ROM anymore just to get a clean phone, or to bring a one-year old phone up to the current OS level. Because custom ROMs often mean mismatched radio software, flakey APNs, and a raft of ROM-chef bloat that I don't want either. If I had time, I would probably learn how to make my own ROM, but unfortunately I never have time for that kind of fun any more.

So I think you're right on the money. With unlocked, clean phones there shouldn't be a need to root. Not even for a good, complete backup.

Have fun!

John

• Like 4

So I think you're right on the money. With unlocked, clean phones there shouldn't be a need to root. Not even for a good, complete backup.

Well, it's apparent you never really used your root so I can understand the need to not care about it.  I actually USE my rooted device (think Tasker and Secure Settings for starters.) so rooting matters to me more than just getting rid of bloat apps.

Well, it's apparent you never really used your root so I can understand the need to not care about it.

That's a remarkably astute statement. I'm sincerely curious - what insight gleaned from my comments has enabled you to reach such an incisive conclusion?

Have a great evening,

John

• Like 3

Yes, saw that. Very disappointing. Last year's flagship is left high and dry.

I've rooted every Android device I've ever owned. And I've jailbroken each of my iPhones. You know what, I'm kinda tired of it. I just want a clean, unbloated phone that will do what I want and will get reasonably fast OS upgrades for a reasonable length of time. At least two years, right?

I don't want to flash a custom ROM anymore just to get a clean phone, or to bring a one-year old phone up to the current OS level. Because custom ROMs often mean mismatched radio software, flakey APNs, and a raft of ROM-chef bloat that I don't want either. If I had time, I would probably learn how to make my own ROM, but unfortunately I never have time for that kind of fun any more.

Have fun!

John

I used to root them all too. My Moto X 2014 was my first device that worked great and never felt the need to root. Also never rooted my Nexus 6 after that. I don't know if modern Android devices are just that good, or I'm just over all that. But I don't miss it or feel like I need to.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 4