Moto X 2015 "Pure Edition" [users thread]

nexuss4g

And you trust Motorola support to know anything about carrier aggregation? Pardon me while I keel over laughing. That is like asking Sprint customer service about Network Vision site completion. It is naive to think that entry level workers know what you want to know.

Maybe the 2015 Moto X truly is broken, does not support 2x CA on band 41, and will not get fixed. But I would not take the word of Motorola support on anything that technical. Instead, I will go with the authorization lab testing that Motorola submitted to the FCC:

1182ik4.png

AJ

Just because the phone is physically capable of a radio feature does not mean it is currently "unlocked" or working. Look at the initial spark handsets, how long was it before the Nexus 5 and G2 had official support for band 41?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Just because the phone is physically capable of a radio feature does not mean it is currently "unlocked" or working. Look at the initial spark handsets, how long was it before the Nexus 5 and G2 had official support for band 41?

Exactly.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Exactly.

Guys, you are not being scientists -- you cannot prove a negative.

Look, I do not care if 2x CA on band 41 is or is not active on the 2015 Moto X.  However, I am a scientist.  Citing speed test results and Motorola support tweets does not pass muster.  That is my point.

The FCC OET authorization filings are the most definitive sources that we have available.  Since the LTE engineering screen lacks SCC signal metrics, we cannot determine otherwise.  So, just chill out.

AJ

Guys, you are not being scientists -- you cannot prove a negative. Look, I do not care if 2x CA on band 41 is or is not active on the 2015 Moto X. However, I am a scientist. And citing speed test results and Motorola support tweets does not pass muster. That is my point. The FCC OET authorization filings are the most definitive sources that we have available. Since the LTE engineering screen lacks SCC signal metrics, we cannot determine otherwise. So, just chill out.

AJ

Doesn't the FCC only test uplink? I'm not flat out saying to believe a tweet from customer care. However, until we either get a functional engineering screen or a speed test faster than what a single b41 carrier can produce we can't say that it is working.

Based on previous handset launches, it is not out of the ordinary to have radio features lay dormant and later be activated with a software update.

Doesn't the FCC only test uplink?

Unless an enforcement issue, the FCC does not test anything.  The OEMs or their authorized RF labs do the testing.  The FCC then accepts the results under certification and attestation.  Falsifying results could be a federal crime.

I do not have time now, but I will address the remainder of your post later.

AJ

Haven't been around for a few weeks and now that MM is live, I'll confirm that the engineering screens are broken.  They've been broken in every version of the MM software.  I was lucky enough to be in the test drive and reported this issue on every test version.  All I can say is i got confirmation the information was passed to engineering, however, no info if they are going to do anything about it.  I requested SCC for CA and fixing the band identification.

If you try to go to the debug screen after upgrade, but before your first reboot, the data is crazy funky!

I also reported what appeared to be CA not working as I had my device and a co-workers Samsung device side by side.  We validated that we were on the same carrier, he had CA and faster speed tests.  As AJ noted, this is not scientific evidence, only observations.  It could be that something on the Sprint side is not allowing CA to occur for BYOD. 

• Like 1

I'm seriously considering ordering one today with Amazon's sale. I have $100 in Amazon credit, so I'd be paying $250 for a 32GB MXPE. I just have to decide if it's enough of an upgrade from my Galaxy Note 4 to pull the trigger before it sells out.

I'm seriously considering ordering one today with Amazon's sale. I have $100 in Amazon credit, so I'd be paying $250 for a 32GB MXPE. I just have to decide if it's enough of an upgrade from my Galaxy Note 4 to pull the trigger before it sells out.

Amazing phone...but, the N4 still has plenty life left in it. Save ur money if u want.

Update.  I returned my original MXPE because it could not get 3G data.  Motorola sent me a new phone but it has the same issue. 

Since I sent the first MXPE back, I've acquired an Airave because the Sprint signals at my house are a bit weak. Strange thing is that I do get 3G data when connected to the Airave but nowhere else.  Can anyone explain this?

Is there anyone else here using the Sprint network as a customer of Ting who has this phone and is having an issue with 3G data?

Thanks,

DC

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

After two Moto X PE phones, numerous factory resets, much research and testing, there is now a work around to the problem of not getting 3G data on these phones. The problem does not appear to impact any phones on the big 4 networks. It only impacts phones on a Sprint MVNO.

There are now known eHRPD issues with Sprint and their MVNOs. The work around solution is to disable eHRPD. Sprint is working on changes to eHRPD that may resolve the issue permanently. Thanks to Ting for their persistence in helping get to the bottom of this problem.

I don't understand how eHRPD issues can impact my phone on Ting but not when connected directly to Sprint.  I've also acquired an Airave device and I was able to get 3G data via the Airave with no issues whether eHRPD is enabled or not.  Strange.  Anyone have any insight to offer?

Also, does anyone know of any potential issues I'll have by leaving eHRPD disabled permanently?

Thanks much,

DC

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

I was having some issues with my phone. After some time on the phone with Motorola support they gave me these 2 codes for the data and engineering screens. Not sure if this helps anyone or if this is already posted somewhere but the dial pad codes are:

*#*#data#*#*

*#*#33284#*#*

Hey everyone,

I was having some issues with my phone. After some time on the phone with Motorola support they gave me these 2 codes for the data and engineering screens. Not sure if this helps anyone or if this is already posted somewhere but the dial pad codes are:

*#*#data#*#*

*#*#33284#*#*

Thanks, yes it was previously posted by AJ a while back when I was one of the first, if not the first to get my Moto X Pure (2015) activated on Sprint: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7063-moto-x-2015-pure-edition-users-thread/page-19&do=findComment&comment=443332

• 2 weeks later...

A warning to anyone else who may be activating this phone online.  Online activation went fine recognizing the correct phone and not prompting to do a chat HOWEVER, it tried to change my plan from the $60 Unlimited Plan to a $90 Unlimited Plan.  I had to select change plans where I was presented with a $75 Unlimited Plan and in very small print, the option to keep my existing plan. After selecting that link the activation went fine and I remain on the correct plan.  Just a heads up.

• Like 2

I have a glitch after marshmallow 6.0 update that was wondering if anyone else has it too. When I raise or lower the volume, the window that pops up doesn't go away until I touch anywhere on the screen again.... That's never happened before. Normal behavior is u raise or lower the volume, box comes up and shortly after its would automatically disappear.

Anyone else has this problem? If so, do u know a fix?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking at either getting a moto x pure or a nexus 6p, both are relatively comparable. Is the 16gb moto x with a large sd card viable? Also most reviews say the two get relatively the same battery life. I'm leaning towards the moto x because I've never had a issue with a moto phone before, I've never had a Huawei before. Another thing I'm comparing is cases, I like my otterbox defender. I know the moto x has one available but not many for the 6p.

Sent from a Note 4

Thanks, yes it was previously posted by AJ a while back when I was one of the first, if not the first to get my Moto X Pure (2015) activated on Sprint: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7063-moto-x-2015-pure-edition-users-thread/page-19&do=findComment&comment=443332

how is the lte band reception on it

how is the lte band reception on it

I am very happy with it.  I found myself on LTE so much more than I was on my LG G3.

How's the battery life since 6.0. And dose the Doze feature work while it's in your pocket through out the day? I'm on my feet usually from 4am to about 2pm then home, at home I don't mind if I have to charge it. I just don't want to be half way through the day and have 20% left like my current phone.

Sent from a Note 4

How's the battery life since 6.0. And dose the Doze feature work while it's in your pocket through out the day? I'm on my feet usually from 4am to about 2pm then home, at home I don't mind if I have to charge it. I just don't want to be half way through the day and have 20% left like my current phone.

Sent from a Note 4

Battery life has been ok.  Though I have never gotten more than 2 hours of Screen on time on mine.  I don't know if that is something with Sprint and that I am stuck with a marginal (via Wi-Ex 1900Mhz repeater) B25 signal in my office all day or what exactly causes that.

Doze in Marshmallow will only work if the device is not moving around.  In Android N (Nutella?), Doze will kick in right away.  So I'm hoping we will see Android N by this fall on the Moto X Pure 2015.  But who knows with how Lenovo has been lately.

Just bought mine, and a new sd card. Kinda sucks doze only works when it sitting still, you would think it would learn how it's being used and kick in after a set amount of time not being used even in pocket. Oh well maybe the N update will be here, I was thinking about the 6p but I really like Mottola. Now just need to get a otterbox for the pure, and a screen protector.

Sent from a Note 4

• Like 1