RadioShack Said to Be in Talks to Sell Stores to Sprint

mhammett

In the Chicago suburbs and this part of North Carolina, the remaining Radio Shack stores are not usually situated in ideal locations.  I am very happy to hear that they are looking to expand their retail presence.  IMO, that is one of at least two areas where Sprint needs to improve.  The other is expanding and increasing the density of their native coverage beyond what the RRPP will do for them.

Someone is going to have to buy Radioshack here in the near future as they are on the verge of bankruptcy.

Would you buy a boat that is sinking, in hopes of patching it up, and pumping the water before it sinks? I know I wouldnt. Radio shack is going the way of Circuit city. Sad to say.

Would you buy a boat that is sinking, in hopes of patching it up, and pumping the water before it sinks? I know I wouldnt. Radio shack is going the way of Circuit city. Sad to say.

Well the boat hasn't sunk...yet.  Considering they are going to file for restructuring bankruptcy (Chapter 11) they can emerge as a more lean company, now if they were filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy "liquidation" well then they are past the stage of restructuring and it would be safe to say the boat has sank, this is not the case...yet.    

Well the boat hasn't sunk...yet.  Considering they are going to file for restructuring bankruptcy (Chapter 11) they can emerge as a more lean company, now if they were filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy "liquidation" well then they are past the stage of restructuring and it would be safe to say the boat has sank, this is not the case...yet.    

Radio shack has a failed business model. There is no coming back for them unless they radically change how they do business. They may manage to keep a few retail locations but I think their best hope is in becoming a full fledged internet business like the Sharper Image.

• Like 1

Wonder if they'll still carry all the electronic "stuff" if this happens. There's nowhere else to go when you need rabdoms cables, connectors, or adaptors of any type!

Based on the article, it sounds like Sprint is only looking at taking the leases over, so I bet they will be remodeled into corporate stores.

Wonder if they'll still carry all the electronic "stuff" if this happens. There's nowhere else to go when you need rabdoms cables, connectors, or adaptors of any type!

Electronics hobbyists have long since moved online...

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102

AJ

• Like 1

AJ

I think there is still room for a local store to carry electronic stuff if you are in a big enough market. Sometimes your really want/need something right now.

• Like 2

Their filings are only small patches. I have never seen a busy radio shack. When number of employees out number customers, thats bad. There is reason they dumped target mobile.

Wonder how many of the stores will be in Sprints new Montana market area?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I'd be cool if Sprint kept RadioShack stores as part of a Southern Illinois expansion. I think now that's there's two network actors here there could be a third. Southern Illinois supported ATNI for that long...

I always thought Radio Shack was overpriced and had poor customer service. I won't be sad if they close.

In some cases, yes, especially when they were franchises. I saw prices drop when my local Radio Shack franchise was closed and a corporate store came in a few years later to replace it. Got my Linksys Router for a good price there too.

AJ

I love Monoprice. I have so many cables, cases, hardware, etc it's almost embarrassing. I really want one of those large IPS monitors.

• Like 3

I would have been sad a few years ago when they actually carried a lot of electronics, capacitors, relays, connectors, etc. - but over the past couple of years they have steadily gotten rid of those sorts of things and replaced them with overpriced accessories and things that aren't really hard to find elsewhere. It would be nice if they made it, but at this point I don't know who they cater to.

Tommy

• Like 1

I would have been sad a few years ago when they actually carried a lot of electronics, capacitors, relays, connectors, etc. - but over the past couple of years they have steadily gotten rid of those sorts of things and replaced them with overpriced accessories and things that aren't really hard to find elsewhere. It would be nice if they made it, but at this point I don't know who they cater to.

Tommy

They just opened a new RS store in my town, and it does in fact have a selection of some of the more basic electronics stuff. They are still trying to sell cell phones too, but they have gone "back to basics" a little bit. I don't know how that is going to work out for them.