RadioShack Said to Be in Talks to Sell Stores to Sprint

mhammett

Doesn't look that good in my area of NJ. I can't believe they are passing on having locations in Menlo Park Mall and Bridgewater Commons Mall. Just a dumb move. Especially Bridgewater where they used to have a store. Kiosks run by idiots will be left to lead the charge in this highly competitive and lucrative market.

Hopefully they reconsider.

Waterloo, IL is not on the list...That's surprising. Benton, Mt. Vernon, and Harrisburg are shutting down. Not a shock considering that most Sprint service in those areas are confined to I-57 and no native exists at all around Harrisburg.

Cape Girardeau is also shutting down. Sprint already has a reseller there.

I'm shocked that my local radio shack isn't closing. It's in a shopping mall that already has a third-party sprint store and there's a corporate store in the strip mall across the street.

There's some good news for me. The Pahrump Radio Shack isn't on that list, so it looks like we will finally get a corporate Sprint store. :)

Commence a tease from AJ in 3.... 2.... 1....

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk 3.1.1

• Like 1

There's some good news for me. The Pahrump Radio Shack isn't on that list, so it looks like we will finally get a corporate Sprint store. :)

Commence a tease from AJ in 3.... 2.... 1....

Is that the Pahrump RadioShack, Liquor & Brothel?

Now, that could be a fun Sprint Store.

:P

AJ

• Like 3

Is that the Pahrump RadioShack, Liquor & Brothel?

Now, that could be a fun Sprint Store.

:P

AJ

No liquor. Too many of those in Pahrump as it is.

Glad to see it looks like my local store isn't on the list since the nearest corporate Sprint store is about 45 minutes away. it'll be interesting to see what happens to the third-party store down the street from the Radio Shack location.

No liquor. Too many of those in Pahrump as it is.

Just Pahrump RadioShack & Brothel then?

"Welcome to Sprint, sir.  Can I interest you in a Samsung Galaxy S5 and an hour with Desiree?"

AJ

• Like 2

Glad to see it looks like my local store isn't on the list since the nearest corporate Sprint store is about 45 minutes away. it'll be interesting to see what happens to the third-party store down the street from the Radio Shack location.

Yeah, I really wonder how many of those third-party contracts are non-renewed in the next year or so. We have a couple of nice third-party stores in the area, but most look less than savory.

• Like 2

Cool the radioshack down the street from me isn't closing. Hopefully they can make this one provide better service in all categories than the very crappy Sprint affiliate store that's 20 minutes away. 

Looking at the potential store closure list, I am surprised to see the Radioshack in Tenleytown, Washington, DC closing. Sprint has zero retail presence in upper northwest and Georgetown, two large shopping areas. The other DC closings kind of make sense because of their close proximity to a Sprint corporate store. Hope the bankruptcy court will move swiftly.

Potential store closing list: http://radioshackcorporation.com/pdfs/RS-Store-Closure-List_020415.pdf

Wow, a few stores on there I remember, used to work there.

RE the Android Central hit piece, as I put it on Twitter, I think Marcelo Claure knows more about how to run Sprint than a writer on some random tech site.

I just have to conclude that Andrew Martonik has no clue of what Sprint's real problems are. The stores are an issue. This can, if executed right, be a fix.

I just don't think he has a good grasp of the business. Sprint has problems other than network and network is good enough now to where it simply isn't the biggest problem any more. Not even close to the biggest issue, when I analyze it.

• Like 4

Looking at the potential store closure list, I am surprised to see the Radioshack in Tenleytown, Washington, DC closing. Sprint has zero retail presence in upper northwest and Georgetown, two large shopping areas. The other DC closings kind of make sense because of their close proximity to a Sprint corporate store. Hope the bankruptcy court will move swiftly.

Potential store closing list: http://radioshackcorporation.com/pdfs/RS-Store-Closure-List_020415.pdf

Looks like they're planning to close all of the locations in central Georgia, except the location in Houston County Galleria. A few are pretty close to the two existing Sprint preferred retailer stores; one is close to the location of the old corporate store in Warner Robins which they closed (leaving us with no corporate stores at all).

I really hope none of this has RadioShack's branding at the end. So far it sounds like co-branding, which I have reservations about. That said, I also will allow for the possibility of Claure having an ace up his sleeve.

The RadioShack closest to my house is staying open, which is a big relief as there isn't anywhere else to get "hard to find" items around here.  In all honesty, Sprint can take up 1/3 of the store and not even touch the regular RadioShack inventory.  Out of the three RadioShack stores in the small-ish Hickory metro area, only one RadioShack is closing and that is located at Valley Hills Mall.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes. From what i understand they are hoping for a mid april opening. Each store will have a lead retail consultant and 2-3 retail consultants employed. They have even begun scavaging extra computers and printers and other equipment from other corporate stores.

• Like 1

Is this one of the first Radio Shack to Sprint store?

Note that there are two different stores in this folder.

https://drive.google.com/folder/d/0BwjoW3wFn2LrYkhZUDIxSVZBRU0/edit

Yes. From what i understand they are hoping for a mid april opening. Each store will have a lead retail consultant and 2-3 retail consultants employed. They have even begun scavaging extra computers and printers and other equipment from other corporate stores.

I found at least 5-7 stores in Nevada alone.

• Like 2

Anyone find any in Montana or Alaska?

Nothing in Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota or Idaho yet. I didn't check Alaska.

It appears they started adding jobs on the 13th of March, so I assume they aren't done yet.