HTC EVO 4G LTE

P_M_G

NFC operates in the HF band at 13.56 MHz. At that frequency, wavelength is 75 feet. By comparison, 1900 MHz wavelength is roughly 6 inches. So, I am dubious that NFC could have been made to work in a full metal shell. And, personally, I think that HTC and Sprint should have stuck with the solid polycarbonate body.

AJ

Does this mean its reception will be less than the original EVO 4G? As is I only get 1-2 bars at home.. Less would be a killer for me

Does this mean its reception will be less than the original EVO 4G? As is I only get 1-2 bars at home.. Less would be a killer for me

I don't believe so, but I would inquire with customer service on getting an Airvana (femtocell). They might offer one to you if your coverage is poor.

I don't believe so, but I would inquire with customer service on getting an Airvana (femtocell). They might offer one to you if your coverage is poor.

Yah I have thought about that one. Then again whenever they get NV up and running the reception at home should improve. Hopefully

Anyone find it funny the One S is listed full price at BB the same as Duff listed the evolte being?....also the S is same price as oneX on contract at tmobile and ATT.....odd pricing to me...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Yes it will be interesting to see what Verizon will say when they are still lighting up new LTE areas when Sprint finishes. I'm sure that will hurt their stockholder confidence in some way that a carrier less than half their size one upped them! :D

Hey man-- you know Visalia gets LTE from Verizon turned on tomorrow! They have committed to upgrade their entire 3G nationwide footprint and have it completed by the end of 2013-- they plan on VoLTE starting up this year and they are moving to phase out CDMA starting in late 2014.

Hey man-- you know Visalia gets LTE from Verizon turned on tomorrow! They have committed to upgrade their entire 3G nationwide footprint and have it completed by the end of 2013-- they plan on VoLTE starting up this year and they are moving to phase out CDMA starting in late 2014.

Yes, I know they are lighting up Visalia tomorrow. I plan on taking an opportunity to try out the new LTE network here by early next week.

Edit: I didn't know that thy were planning on killing off CDMA already. I thought they were going to keep it going for the foreseeable future. Thanks for the update.

Sent from Joshs iPhone 3Gs using Forum Runner

The May timeline is getting very interesting. A decision will have to be made, as I am due for an upgrade.

Ok, May 3rd is the next Galaxy unveiling extravaganza. May 7th is when Sprint takes pre-orders for the EVO LTE. May 18th is the rumored release of the this phone. May 22 has been bandied about for the Galaxy S3/M availability, but who knows.

I think, for me, it's going to boil down to how I feel about the screen. I played with a Galaxy Note today for about an hour. The device is amazing, but the SAMOLED display is so hyper-saturated that it's kind of annoying. I much prefer the more natural look to the SLCD display. Unless Samsung blows my socks off on May 3rd, I'm sticking with the EVO.

Plus, the HTC build quality puts Sammy to shame, but that's a whole other issue. Discuss.

I have yet to see an SLCD-2 screen. What are the advantages and disadvantages? All I hear is how great they look.

LCD2 Has warmer more natural colors, has great whites. Say you can see it in sunlight better. Is backlit.

Amoled screens have real backs, more saturated colors(some prefer), and uses less power for dark screens/themes.

Its really just personal choice, and up till now samsungs screen has been pentile which gave slcd2 a clear edge. New samsung is non pentile, but no one has seen it yet.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

LCD2 Has warmer more natural colors, has great whites. Say you can see it in sunlight better. Is backlit.

Amoled screens have real backs, more saturated colors(some prefer), and uses less power for dark screens/themes.

Its really just personal choice, and up till now samsungs screen has been pentile which gave slcd2 a clear edge. New samsung is non pentile, but no one has seen it yet.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

As far as Samsung branding goes, anytime you see "plus" after AMOLED it means it's a non-pentile display. The galaxy S II has a non-pentile display. I believe the the Galaxy Note and Nexus however use HD super AMOLED screens which are pentile. But the new SGSIII may have an HD super AMOLED plus display.

On a side note, I have an Epic 4G which has the original super amoled screen. I love the colors. Anytime I look at my wife's EVO the display just looks washed out and bland. My boss has an Incredible 2 which has an SLCD screen. It still looks blah. Have not seen a phone with the new SLCD2 screens yet. Will definitely have to look at EVO LTE when it's out.

I know it was mentioned the EVO 4G LTE should be $549 off contract, but I thought I would mention T-Mobile is selling the HTC One S for $600 off contract and $199 on contract.

Hope that is just a T-Mobile thing and Sprint will price the EVO 4G LTE right.

I know it was mentioned the EVO 4G LTE should be $549 off contract, but I thought I would mention T-Mobile is selling the HTC One S for $600 off contract and $199 on contract.

Hope that is just a T-Mobile thing and Sprint will price the EVO 4G LTE right.

Yup mentioned this a few posts above this actually...

Yup mentioned this a few posts above this actually...

Right on.... yeah... i just found that kinda crazy that tmobile had the One S that high. Hope the Evo 4G LTE is priced at the $550... or less! :D

After seeing some reviews on the Qualcomm S4 Krait on Anandtech, I am definitely going to get this phone. It blows all others out of the water. On a lot of the gpu tests, it even topped the iPhone 4s. I got out of my contract to get this phone pre-ordered on May 5th. I am sure others can do it too. Just call retentions and complain that you are not happy with your phone and give a few examples. I have done this twice now: once with my wife's phone since she wanted an iPhone 4s and had a HTC EVO 3D, and now with my HTC EVO 3D. It cost me $165 to do it but when I sell back my phone to Sprint for $100, I will only be out $65 plus the $199 for the EVO 4G LTE.

I am so unhappy with the EVO 3D. The radio on this thing is just horrible and didn't know just how bad until my wife got here iPhone 4s. Here signal strength is more stable it seems than mine. Mine would go from 4 bars to zero bars as soon as I pick the thing up. Anyway hopefully the 4G LTE will have a better radio.

I have read that the S4 does LTE on chip, which would save a lot of battery power. Other LTE phones have a second chip to do LTE, draining a lot of battery. I think Anandtech was talking about it.

I am in Charlotte, NC, and I hope they start upgrading the towers around here. So far my area, 28214, I get terrible data speeds. Although, I do get very decent WiMax speeds of 6-10Mbps.

Anyway I am so psyched about getting this phone!!

I am so unhappy with the EVO 3D. The radio on this thing is just horrible and didn't know just how bad until my wife got here iPhone 4s. Here signal strength is more stable it seems than mine. Mine would go from 4 bars to zero bars as soon as I pick the thing up. Anyway hopefully the 4G LTE will have a better radio.

If ERP is any indication, the EVO 4G LTE has an even weaker radio than does the EVO 3G. Sorry.

AJ

If ERP is any indication, the EVO 4G LTE has an even weaker radio than does the EVO 3G. Sorry.

AJ

Wouldn't it be a wash when NV comes online? From what I read here even 1900mhz will be more efficient because of tower reconstruction.

I am in Charlotte, NC, and I hope they start upgrading the towers around here. So far my area, 28214, I get terrible data speeds. Although, I do get very decent WiMax speeds of 6-10Mbps.

Anyway I am so psyched about getting this phone!!

I hear ya man. I was just in downtown charlotte for a few days the beg of this week. I sat in the hotel room near the window and watched my phone go from 1bar to full bars over and over with me not doing anything to it at all...musta been between towers....Wimax covererage was decent in town though...

Now that I've started a new job here in raleigh my location has horrid coverage. Zero bars or 3 bars roaming....hence the device always sits on zero bars usually lol...NV can't come soon enough here.

AJ

Bummer. I hope that that won't be the case.

I hear ya man. I was just in downtown charlotte for a few days the beg of this week. I sat in the hotel room near the window and watched my phone go from 1bar to full bars over and over with me not doing anything to it at all...musta been between towers....Wimax covererage was decent in town though...

Now that I've started a new job here in raleigh my location has horrid coverage. Zero bars or 3 bars roaming....hence the device always sits on zero bars usually lol...NV can't come soon enough here.

If I didn't have Roam Control, I don't know what I would do. Had the Airwave but had texting issues with it and sometimes calls not reaching me. However here recently, say in the past month or so, I have had multiple texting issues with 3 different EVO 3Ds. When I force roam, I will get multiples of the same text message (like 30 times!!!) even when there are new messages in the queue. It will just keep sending me the same message over and over again and never give me the new messages. I roam on Cricket, so I don't know if it is a Cricket or Sprint issue. It is really irritating. I have to go back to the Sprint Network to get the new text messages and then go back to Roam so I can receive/make calls. Crazy...

I really hope that the issues I am having is because they are upgrading the towers in my area. At least I would know there would light at the end of the tunnel...