Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Marcelo Claure - CEO

And an area that we need to improve is retention. We need to get better at making sure that our customers are staying. Some of that will happen because our network is getting better. So that will happen naturally, but we can do a better job of letting our customer know our value.

And lastly, we’re going to be extremely focused on building our network that we’re going to be disciplined on the way I want that network to be built. Yes, we can run speed test that will do 50, 60 megabits per second, and if we do 3x carrier aggregation, we’ll do 100, 120. I’m not interested in that. I’m interested in providing consistency to our customers, because our customers again are not leaving because I don’t deliver 120 megabits per second. Our customers are leaving because they are lacking coverage in a certain place.

FINALLY! Someone Who Get's It. 

I can't wait to see how Marketing/Branding turns around for Sprint. Hopefully this will be a whole NEW ball game. 

• Like 17

I can't wait to see how Marketing/Branding turns around for Sprint. Hopefully this will be a whole NEW ball game.

110% on mark

Reliability of network is key.

At least in my area between the constant 1x, 3G to LTE dance that occurs & the new double 30gb promotion at att it's making me want to switch again. But I don't want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

110% on mark

Reliability of network is key.

At least in my area between the constant 1x, 3G to LTE dance that occurs & the new double 30gb promotion at att it's making me want to switch again. But I don't want to.

I remember when I first started in this forum thousands of years ago, I concluded that the most important thing to me would be consistency and reliability. I have yet to change my opinion on that, and am so happy that the CEO shares my view.

Like he said. I don't care if I can get download speeds of 100 Mbps. If it's not consistent throughout, it's not worth my money. Make sure everyone has reliable and consistent service first, then worry about making it so damn fast your eyeballs explode.

My 2.5 cents... Haha. get it, 2.5....

Sent from my iPhone 6 on Crapatalk

• Like 8

One would think that should have been the case long ago.  Whats the purpose of having 100 megabits speeds. Then walking two feet to the left and having no service.  They also need to turn up the power on 1900 Lte. Its just too weak. Two blocks away from the Tower and barely be hanging onto a signal.  Well at least now the CEO is aware of the problem.   

• Like 5

"The brand was very weak. And it continues to be very weak," Claure admitted. "It's been a very long time since the brand stood for something."

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-claure-you-aint-seen-nothing-yet-terms-value-message/2014-11-12

YES! Marcelo - Preach! Finally my Cries about Marketing have been heard. 

• Like 2

One would think that should have been the case long ago.  Whats the purpose of having 100 megabits speeds. Then walking two feet to the left and having no service.  They also need to turn up the power on 1900 Lte. Its just too weak. Two blocks away from the Tower and barely be hanging onto a signal.  Well at least now the CEO is aware of the problem.   

The power output is my major gripe.  Every other carrier, even on higher frequencies have better signal around the tower than Sprint.  T-Mobile's LTE here stretches further than Sprints in almost every case.  (Sprint's PCS vs T-Mobile's AWS.)

• Like 3

Its "turning up the power" all apart of Optimization? and we're still waiting on NYC to be Optimized, correct? 

Yes, the power output plays a huge part in optimization.  When LTE is in testing (any band), and it gives weak results, it's more than likely them altering the power output for it.  Robert even stated in a post that Samsung, when testing B26 on newer sites, they turn it on for the public, but keep the power output low to conserve energy (cash), then turn it on in clusters.  Not sure how Ericsson or Alcatel do it.

I'm actually super happy with Sprint in Austin. I just need to get my wife a triband phone so she can be as happy as I am. Her iphone 5 really can't give her the full experience as she is stuck on the slower sprint 1900 mhz LTE.

I really wish Sprint would give current customers with non-triband devices a $50 or $100 credit or something to switch to a new triband phone. I think it would go a long way in terms of retention and also overall network performance.

Robert even stated in a post that Samsung, when testing B26 on newer sites, they turn it on for the public, but keep the power output low to conserve energy (cash), then turn it on in clusters. Not sure how Ericsson or Alcatel do it.

No.

Band 26 is activated at low power because they need to optimize it correctly with drive testers and engineers versed in the 800mhz frequency.

It takes multiple tries and many months and there's a backlog due to lack of qualified engineers and thousands of sites in que.

Low power levels prevent interference issues due to improperly configured cells and asisists in offload capacity as it is an additional 5mhz lte carrier subscribers can use.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm actually super happy with Sprint in Austin. I just need to get my wife a triband phone so she can be as happy as I am. Her iphone 5 really can't give her the full experience as she is stuck on the slower sprint 1900 mhz LTE.

I really wish Sprint would give current customers with non-triband devices a $50 or $100 credit or something to switch to a new triband phone. I think it would go a long way in terms of retention and also overall network performance.

What they should do is push the upgrade up (and have her in exchange trade her phone in) to get upgrade eligibility back.

Yes, the power output plays a huge part in optimization. When LTE is in testing (any band), and it gives weak results, it's more than likely them altering the power output for it. Robert even stated in a post that Samsung, when testing B26 on newer sites, they turn it on for the public, but keep the power output low to conserve energy (cash), then turn it on in clusters. Not sure how Ericsson or Alcatel do it.

In my area optimization for 800 and 1900 lte was completed 4-6 months ago. Can't stay on lte or even 3G - very sporadic sadly.

What they should do is push the upgrade up (and have her in exchange trade her phone in) to get upgrade eligibility back.

I'm on Family share (technically a "new" customer) so it wouldn't help me necessarily. I'll probably be getting her an iphone 6 for Christmas at any rate but there are tons of Sprint customers on older phones that complain about coverage and speed.

In my area optimization for 800 and 1900 lte was completed 4-6 months ago. Can't stay on lte or even 3G - very sporadic sadly.

No optimization here for B26, every time I connect to it (on the same tower) the signal is a lot worse and data is almost unusable.

Sent from my Nexus 5 running Android 5.0 Lollipop

• Like 1

No.

Band 26 is activated at low power because they need to optimize it correctly with drive testers and engineers versed in the 800mhz frequency.

It takes multiple tries and many months and there's a backlog due to lack of qualified engineers and thousands of sites in que.

Low power levels prevent interference issues due to improperly configured cells and asisists in offload capacity as it is an additional 5mhz lte carrier subscribers can use.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I wish I had a contact because I'd be interested I pursuing a career as a technician optimizing cell sites.

Sent from my LG-LS980

The power output is my major gripe.  Every other carrier, even on higher frequencies have better signal around the tower than Sprint.  T-Mobile's LTE here stretches further than Sprints in almost every case.  (Sprint's PCS vs T-Mobile's AWS.)

That's actually my only gripe about Sprint LTE too. I just wish that they'd increase power to have a better signal in general.

Unless optimization has yet to occur, I highly doubt that increasing base station ERP/EIRP would have the desired effect.  Remember that wireless coverage is not about broadcasting a downlink signal but rather about balancing a link budget between downlink and uplink signals.  In coverage areas where Sprint LTE signal is weak, I also typically see my handset slamming up against its 23 dBm conducted power limiter.  At that point, increasing the downlink ERP/EIRP would not help the uplink, which is already at the verge of failure.

Like it or not, LTE is a fragile airlink.  And that is true for all operators and bands.  For example, VZW has overlaid its entire network with band 13 LTE 750.  That is a lower frequency band than any of VZW's CDMA2000 band classes, hence has path loss advantages.  But take a sample of VZW network discussion somewhere online, and note how many users post about where they still fall back to "3G."  Absent higher EIRP at both the base station and the handset, the only fix for that fallback "problem" is increased site density.

AJ

• Like 8

Unless optimization has yet to occur, I highly doubt that increasing base station EIRP would have the desired effect. Remember that wireless coverage is not about broadcasting a downlink signal but rather balancing a link budget between downlink and uplink signals. In coverage areas where Sprint LTE signal is weak, I also typically see my handset slamming up against its 23 dBm conducted power limiter. At that point, increasing the downlink EIRP would not help the uplink, which is already at the verge of failure.

Like it or not, LTE is a fragile airlink. And that is true for all operators and bands. For example, VZW has overlaid its entire network with band 13 LTE 750. That is a lower frequency band than any of VZW's CDMA2000 band classes, hence has path loss advantages. But take a sample of VZW network discussion somewhere online, and note how many users post about where they still fall back to "3G." Absent higher EIRP at both the base station and the handset, the only fix for that fallback "problem" is increased site density.

AJ

very good info.

I'd be less upset if AT&T or VZW had the same issues where I live. That sprint does.

• Like 1

Remember this moment and then let us know where you see a change. Hopefully your wait will be less than mine.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/new-haven-ct

Marcelo's dream come true. Average speeds went from 1Mbps to 10Mbps and their reliability score is a 99.0. They tied for first with Verizon and AT&T in reliability, but it was still higher than both in the raw score.

• Like 1

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/new-haven-ct

Marcelo's dream come true. Average speeds went from 1Mbps to 10Mbps and their reliability score is a 99.0. They tied for first with Verizon and AT&T in reliability, but it was still higher than both in the raw score.

How is it that when the scores are (S) 98.7 - (V) 97.2 - (A) 96.4, it's a three way tie

But when they are (A) 96.6 - (V) 95.6 - (S) 95.6, AT&T is the clear winner? That seems fishy to me.

• Like 9