Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/new-haven-ct

Marcelo's dream come true. Average speeds went from 1Mbps to 10Mbps and their reliability score is a 99.0. They tied for first with Verizon and AT&T in reliability, but it was still higher than both in the raw score.

Maybe I'm missing something; why is it that if Sprint gets the actual top score, Root Metrics makes it a tie, even if the other scores are nowhere near as close? But when Verizon/AT&T wins by even less margin, the call it for Verizon/AT&T??

Root Metrics is borderline illegitimate at this point, in my view.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Crapatalk

• Like 3

I was just at ikea in NH and inside on top floor only 3G on the bottom floor no service.

In parking lot on lte took apple maps about 2 minutes to load.

On the way to Waterbury - phone went into 3G and lte all the way.

My vzw work phone stayed lte the whole time.

So I assume Roots is rating on over all actual use ability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how he is going to make the service more consistent. I've seen areas (like Dallas) which still struggle even though B26 is already deployed. In my opinion, Sprint will have to be OK with adding towers or moving existing towers as part of NV.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how he is going to make the service more consistent. I've seen areas (like Dallas) which still struggle even though B26 is already deployed. In my opinion, Sprint will have to be OK with adding towers or moving existing towers as part of NV.

b41 b41 b41! If you can get 200 handsets within range off of b25 and b26, that instantly makes the speeds jump.

Sent from my iPhone 6 on Crapatalk

I really like his ideas. I just listened to the whole Web cast. I'm interested in what he plans to do over the next few weeks. I'm hoping it isn't just all advertising though... I hope these smaller mergers are part of it.

b41 b41 b41! If you can get 200 handsets within range off of b25 and b26, that instantly makes the speeds jump.

Sent from my iPhone 6 on Crapatalk

But that only gives speed. Not reliability. Especially if I can't lock onto 800mhz lte now - 2500mhz surly won't do anything.

I understand that the theory is to remove some burden from 800 and 1900 but I don't see it working in real life.

• Like 1

I was just at ikea in NH and inside on top floor only 3G on the bottom floor no service.

In parking lot on lte took apple maps about 2 minutes to load.

On the way to Waterbury - phone went into 3G and lte all the way.

My vzw work phone stayed lte the whole time.

To some extent, you guys are cherry picking locales where Sprint is not the best -- and probably never will be the best.  In fact, Sprint may never be better than mediocre in those locations.  Now, you may happen to live in or at least frequent those places.  If so, consider another provider.  But realize that the shoe is on the other foot in plenty of other places.  VZW and AT&T are not the end all, be all.  They have plenty of locales where one or both provide subpar service.  If they truly have fewer such sore spots, that is largely a product of their quarter century history of oligopolistic mergers and acquisitions.  And nothing in the next decade is ever going to equalize that.

AJ

• Like 6

To some extent, you guys are cherry picking locales where Sprint is not the best -- and probably never will be the best. In fact, Sprint may never be better than mediocre in those locations. Now, you may happen to live in or at least frequent those places. If so, consider another provider. But realize that the shoe is on the other foot in plenty of other places. VZW and AT&T are not the end all, be all. They have plenty of locales where one or both provide subpar service. If they truly have fewer such sore spots, that is largely a product of their history of oligopolistic mergers and acquisitions. And nothing in the next decade is ever going to equalize that.

AJ

Very logical and I assume sadly correct.

Places I frequent in CT and southwestern MA - I've yet to be impressed with reliability. It has greatly improved speed wise no doubt. But staying locked on - no.

Not being sarcastic but I'd like to spend time in a really good built out reliable Sprint market. The Sprint contact I have has been amazing at helping me. Latest network ticket came back with zero issues for this area. I asked what that meant and the answer pretty much aligns with what you stated. He told me my best option was going back to VZW. I really don't want to though. Sigh....

Thanks for the info.

Very logical and I assume sadly correct.

Places I frequent in CT and southwestern MA - I've yet to be impressed with reliability. It has greatly improved speed wise no doubt. But staying locked on - no.

Not being sarcastic but I'd like to spend time in a really good built out reliable Sprint market. The Sprint contact I have has been amazing at helping me. Latest network ticket came back with zero issues for this area. I asked what that meant and the answer pretty much aligns with what you stated. He told me my best option was going back to VZW. I really don't want to though. Sigh....

Thanks for the info.

Come to Kansas city for a weekend. Barbeque and great cell service....what more could you ask for [emoji6] .
  • Like 4

Be on the look out for a new Family Share commercial featuring this screaming sheep!! And also Usher's song, "OMG"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evudEwVvq5o

As soon as I find the true commercial online, I'll post it! It's hilarious! I died laughing...

• Like 1

Also worth noting is that they tied for second with T-Mobile in Columbus, OH. Sprint's median speeds increased from 1Mbps to 11Mbps. And upload went from .9 to 5Mbps.

Yea Sprint is wonderful here in Columbus. Truly a night a day difference from a year ago.

Be on the look out for a new Family Share commercial featuring this screaming sheep!! And also Usher's song, "OMG"...

As soon as I find the true commercial online, I'll post it! It's hilarious! I died laughing...

I've seen it like 5 times on various channels tonight.

How is it that when the scores are (S) 98.7 - (V) 97.2 - (A) 96.4, it's a three way tie

But when they are (A) 96.6 - (V) 95.6 - (S) 95.6, AT&T is the clear winner? That seems fishy to me.

Maybe I'm missing something; why is it that if Sprint gets the actual top score, Root Metrics makes it a tie, even if the other scores are nowhere near as close? But when Verizon/AT&T wins by even less margin, the call it for Verizon/AT&T??

Root Metrics is borderline illegitimate at this point, in my view.

Lol. We were typing almost the same thing, at the same time.

I really don't get how Root Metrics is calling this stuff.

Look at the uncertainties

I did. Sprint's uncertainties were tighter than Verizon or AT&T's. Less uncertainty, higher score. How is that a tie? How is the next one not a tie?

Because AT&T and Verizon's uncertainties are larger and encompass Sprint's upper limit. That's why they must call it a tie.

Read the bottom part of their methodology

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/methodology

• Like 1

It is a Magentan conspiracy to keep the Sprint man down. Face it, so many of the tech press are Pinkos.

;)

AJ

• Like 2

I think that's unfair. I believe I know the ad derrph's friend is referring to. Other than briefly showing a picture of the new iPhones, there was zero indication that the plan is only for those phones. Just flashes of "Unlimited" and "$50."

The only reason I would be aware of the advertised plan's limited nature is because I follow this stuff. This obfuscation is exactly the sort of thing that rubs people the wrong way, when they take the time to go to the store, only to leave disappointed or upset that they can't get that price with the phone they'd prefer to buy or already have.

The ad that it replaced (that featured Judy Greer and her girlfriends shattering all their dishes before they eat) I found annoying, but at least they made it "crystal" clear the plan was for iPhones only.

That was only a joke. Simply and totally. Nothing more. I really wasn't even referring to the subject matter.

Come to Kansas city for a weekend. Barbeque and great cell service....what more could you ask for [emoji6] .

As a Kansas City resident, barbeque lover (Oklahoma Joes), and happy Sprint customer I couldn't possibly agree more.
  • Like 2

As a Kansas City resident, barbeque lover (Oklahoma Joes), and happy Sprint customer I couldn't possibly agree more.

Correction:  Oklahoma Joe's is no longer.  It is now Joe's Kansas City.  Even with the name change, Arthur Bryant's and Gates far better represent the legendary Kansas City BBQ tradition.  For better, for worse, Oklahoma Joe's and Jack Stack are BBQ for suburban white people.

AJ