Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

How do you guys "Like" my posts so quickly? I hit "Post," and by the time it uploads, I often have at least one "Like." Am I unknowingly living in a pod in The Matrix?

AJ

Tapatalk notifications.

I dunno...which pill did you take - red or blue?

I am not answering that question.  Your S4GRU avatar looks like Agent Smith.

AJ

• Like 6

New Orleans at least was historically a decent Sprint corporate market and should not be confused with the admitted crapfest that is the ex-affiliate markets surrounding it (most notoriously Baton Rouge, which even made/makes US Unwired's Mississippi markets and nTelosland seem good by comparison).

That said Sprint can and should do better in Baton Rouge. Any market with a large university (particularly those with students with money to burn, like most of the SEC schools do) has prime customers who haven't established brand preferences yet - but they will remember when they have more money down the road that they had a bad experience and won't go back even when they end up living and working somewhere Sprint's service is far better.

Same argument could be made for T-Mobile too. I'm kind of surprised T-Mobile hasn't hit the college towns hard for marketing in a way. Those places literally are producing future T-Mobile customers and employees. College towns hit so many of the Magenta check marks that it's not even funny. Yet it's a neglected market for them. A market where they could gain huge growth.

• Like 2

New Orleans at least was historically a decent Sprint corporate market and should not be confused with the admitted crapfest that is the ex-affiliate markets surrounding it (most notoriously Baton Rouge, which even made/makes US Unwired's Mississippi markets and nTelosland seem good by comparison).

That said Sprint can and should do better in Baton Rouge. Any market with a large university (particularly those with students with money to burn, like most of the SEC schools do) has prime customers who haven't established brand preferences yet - but they will remember when they have more money down the road that they had a bad experience and won't go back even when they end up living and working somewhere Sprint's service is far better.

Sprint seems to agree, as they've recently added several new macro sites and a B25/B26 DAS with at least 5 nodes to Tiger Stadium. Gaps in discovered GCIs are also indicative of future expansion.

That said, with AT&T having twice as many tri-band sites in the area as Sprint has sites altogether, they still have a long way to go.

• Like 1

What is everyone's take on this? Some of is said seems plausible such as in 2018 when Softbank may try and merge Sprint and T-Mobile again but what I disagree with is with Softbank purchasing more Sprint shares to squash concerns about Sprints future.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-credit-ratings-get-downgraded-moodys-amid-unease-about-its-long-ter/2015-09-16

Sprint will always have a AAA+ rating in my mind even if they get downgraded to BBB-.

Speaking of Triple A....

Port St. Lucie is on the list too. That could be a tough one because Magenta and Big Red were both over 30 Mbps there in the first half of 2015.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/port-st-lucie-fl/2015/1H

Why are we calling out Port St. Lucie now? 

I was just mentioning it because it was on the list. Pardon me.

LOL...I didn't realize we were on the schedule for the next update...My apologies...:-P 2.5 has been lighting up on the east side of town, but still many coverage holes here...

New Orleans results are in, and they don't look pretty for Sprint . they have their work cut in the Big Easy.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/new-orleans-la/2015/2H

So Verizon is in first with 12.9 Mbps down...that's pretty slow compared to Pittsburgh where Sprint came in last place with 11 Mbps down.

Also it looks like Sprint's download speed was slower than their upload - congestion? B41 should help with that

So Verizon is in first with 12.9 Mbps down...that's pretty slow compared to Pittsburgh where Sprint came in last place with 11 Mbps down.

Also it looks like Sprint's download speed was slower than their upload - congestion? B41 should help with that

That market is just a flaming pile. Sprint would basically tie with Verizon with their performance in St. Louis, where they finished third. That's just one example. NOLA should be asking for better results out of all the carriers.

There's an opportunity for Sprint there if they just reach out and GRAB IT.

I think they are trying to make Sprint it's own way out first, and then see what they're short before investing anymore capital directly.  If they had just dumped a bunch of money on the old management scheme, it could have been largely wasted.  Marcelo needs to finish cleaning house and getting on the right path before Masa and SoftBank double down.

Moreover, I think that Masa wants Sprint to try to grow organically. If Hesse/Marcelo were given a cash injection up front, it could of made them complacent, knowing that SoftBank's pile of cash was just a phone call away.

Moreover, I think that Masa wants Sprint to try to grow organically. If Hesse/Marcelo were given a cash injection up front, it could of made them complacent, knowing that SoftBank's pile of cash was just a phone call away.

Does he even have any money to give even if he wanted to? He seems to be in debt up to his eyeballs and people don't seem to eager to lend to him now.

• Like 1

Every time you spell doom and gloom, you never cite any numbers. Just like churn - you always said that Legere is gaining customers with marketing gimmicks and that churn will go up, yet that hasn't been the case either (churn is down in the 1.3x% from 1.5%+ over the previous years).

I'll just compare 2011/12/13/14 and current 12M through 6/30/15:

Revenue, Adj 4,847.4 5,101.3 24,420.0 29,564.0 31,461.0 Growth %, YoY 19.1 5.2 378.7 21.1 14.1 Gross Profit, Adj 1,934.0 2,171.2 12,165.0 14,155.0 15,338.0 Margin % 39.9 42.6 49.8 47.9 48.8 EBITDA, Adj 1,290.0 1,474.4 4,785.5 5,287.0 5,909.0 Margin % 26.6 28.9 19.6 17.9 18.8 Net Income, Adj 309.5 361.3 140.5 -128.7 486.9 Margin % 6.4 7.1 0.6 -0.4 1.5 EPS, Adj 1.69 1.96 0.21 -0.16 0.58 Growth %, YoY 19.9 16.3 -89.5 -- 80.5 Cash from Operations 1,061.8 1,181.5 3,545.0 4,146.0 4,067.0 Capital Expenditures -951.6 -817.2 -4,025.0 -4,317.0 -4,603.0 Free Cash Flow 110.2 364.2 -480.0 -171.0 -536.0

(eh, it wont let me paste in a table, sorry)

Cash from operations has increased 4x (from 1billion in 2011 to 4 billion for LTM) and they've invested in their network and are projecting free cash flow of 2.5 billion by 2016.

The numbers move in the opposite direction of what you claim. They are becoming more profitable and generating more cash from operations, not less. Please explain how they are racing to the bottom. Again, they are increasing their cash from operations not lowering. This totally goes against what you are saying. I am utterly confused.

I agree, I never understood the overzealous churn talk around here. Thanks for the details.

Sent from my SM-N910T

• Like 1

If you haven't already seen it, this

with Sprint's Marcelo Claure and Cisco's Chuck Robbins from the recent CTIA Super Mobility Conference is definitely enjoyable viewing. Go Sprint Go!

While I have only been able to watch a bit of the video so far, it is good, and Marcelo seems to have some good ideas.
  • Like 3

I just want to say Assurion sucks. I wish Sprint had a different option for insurance. I have best buy on my G4 ( haven't used it yet) but my other line still has Assurion. Made a claim Sept 11 and I'm still waiting for approval. I even called Sprint even though it wasn't their fault they gave me a credit anyway. It really shouldn't take a week for a replacement.

There's more to add but I don't want too long of a rant.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I just want to say Assurion sucks. I wish Sprint had a different option for insurance. I have best buy on my G4 ( haven't used it yet) but my other line still has Assurion. Made a claim Sept 11 and I'm still waiting for approval. I even called Sprint even though it wasn't their fault they gave me a credit anyway. It really shouldn't take a week for a replacement.

There's more to add but I don't want too long of a rant.

What's the deductible?

Unless it's water or pure destroyed-- a screen replacement is around $100...

Just trying to understand why I should pay $10 a month or so AND a high deductible .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What's the deductible?

Unless it's water or pure destroyed-- a screen replacement is around $100...

Just trying to understand why I should pay $10 a month or so AND a high deductible .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$150. Which is ridiculous when the screen is probably like $10.