Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

His ugly mug hurt my eyes.

Sent from my SM-N910T

Hesse? As probably the only person in this thread who actually met the guy, I can tell you that he's actually a pretty good person in general, and great to talk to.

• Like 12

His ugly mug hurt my eyes.

Sent from my SM-N910T

Dan Hesse isn't at all ugly. If any executive-level person in wireless is to be considered "ugly", the person that fits that description definitely would have to be John Legere. I'm not even talking primarily about looks, but rather about personality and attitude, especially his vicious uncalled for attacking towards others.

Dan Hesse seems relatively calm and polite in the various interviews I've seen him in, where I've never seen him attacking anyone, even when he was opposing the failed AT&T/T-Mobile merger. I know some people will disagree with me about this, and I completely understand the counterpoints to it, even agree with some of it. However, looking back at that merger and what has transpired with T-Mobile since then, I'd much rather AT&T had been successful acquiring T-Mobile, especially considering the horrible CEO that is now in charge of T-Mobile. Not having John Legere in charge of things would be better regardless.

• Like 5

Hesse? As probably the only person in this thread who actually met the guy, I can tell you that he's actually a pretty good person in general, and great to talk to.

For sure. He's not the evil person everyone thinks he is.

Network Vision and the attempted MetroPCS buyout were both extremely good moves. 

Ripping and replacing Sprint's entire network and an attempt to give it even more leverage and customers. 

• Like 5

For sure. He's not the evil person everyone thinks he is.

Network Vision and the attempted MetroPCS buyout were both extremely good moves. 

Ripping and replacing Sprint's entire network and an attempt to give it even more leverage and customers. 

I never realized how tall he was till we took a picture together, and he had a good foot and 1/2 on me. Good guy though.

But to get back on thread track, that commercial was amazing, and it was great to see Sprint advertising the network again.

• Like 3

Dan Hesse isn't at all ugly. If any executive-level person in wireless is to be considered "ugly", the person that fits that description definitely would have to be John Legere. I'm not even talking primarily about looks, but rather about personality and attitude, especially his vicious uncalled for attacking towards others.

Dan Hesse seems relatively calm and polite in the various interviews I've seen him in, where I've never seen him attacking anyone, even when he was opposing the failed AT&T/T-Mobile merger. I know some people will disagree with me about this, and I completely understand the counterpoints to it, even agree with some of it. However, looking back at that merger and what has transpired with T-Mobile since then, I'd much rather AT&T had been successful acquiring T-Mobile, especially considering the horrible CEO that is now in charge of T-Mobile. Not having John Legere in charge of things would be better regardless.

I think some are letting their personal feelings for Legere cloud their judgment a bit. The no-contract plans, overall reduction in prices, upgrade with relatively little pain, better global roaming, more widespread wi-fi calling, contract buyouts, bill credits, and better MVNO choices? None of that happens if Whitacre's heir gets T-Mobile.

If that happened there'd be a good chance we'd be posting on V4GRU.

• Like 6

I think some are letting their personal feelings for Legere cloud their judgment a bit. The no-contract plans, overall reduction in prices, upgrade with relatively little pain, better global roaming, more widespread wi-fi calling, contract buyouts, bill credits, and better MVNO choices? None of that happens if Whitacre's heir gets T-Mobile.

If that happened there'd be a good chance we'd be posting on V4GRU.

Your comment's point is what typically errks me the most around here. In that the antics of JL (as much as some hate here) really does drive the 3 other carriers to a point. Sure his network caters to primarily metro areas and none of the magenta disciples ever acknowledge that. But I personally like the competitive nature. And don't forget JL is a marketing genius.

Now I understand since this is a sprint forum folks should stay on topic but...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Your comment's point is what typically errks me the most around here. In that the antics of JL (as much as some hate here) really does drive the 3 other carriers to a point. Sure his network caters to primarily metro areas and none of the magenta disciples ever acknowledge that. But I personally like the competitive nature. And don't forget JL is a marketing genius.

I am still a firm believer that T-Mobile and Sprint should have been allowed to merge. The two combining would have been prepared to be the best LTE network in America, bar none. I would think this would have been the true merger of equals, folks.

Take the wideband LTE networks that T-Mobile has, deploy B41 on that macro grid, then add small cell expertise on SoftBank's end? Game over. The combined entity would have added so many sites that I don't even think that CDMA would have been needed. Essentially all that would have been need was to run UMTS and LTE with GSM tossed in for M2M. Aggregating TD and FD together and I believe the entity that combined would have placed a major hurt on AT&T and Verizon, even if B41 spectrum would have had to have been sold off at some point.

Sure some on here would worry about rural but with the economies of scale no one would care in the long run as Sprint rural sites were converted to Nokia or Ericsson UMTS/LTE. Just look at New York as an example. Put B41 in Salim's (the lead RF engineer in NY) hands... Just see what happens.

And Legere's antics benefitting us would change people's hearts and minds.

• Like 3

I am still a firm believer that T-Mobile and Sprint should have been allowed to merge. The two combining would have been prepared to be the best LTE network in America, bar none. I would think this would have been the true merger of equals, folks.

Take the wideband LTE networks that T-Mobile has, deploy B41 on that macro grid, then add small cell expertise on SoftBank's end? Game over. The combined entity would have added so many sites that I don't even think that CDMA would have been needed. Essentially all that would have been need was to run UMTS and LTE with GSM tossed in for M2M. Aggregating TD and FD together and I believe the entity that combined would have placed a major hurt on AT&T and Verizon, even if B41 spectrum would have had to have been sold off at some point.

Sure some on here would worry about rural but with the economies of scale no one would care in the long run as Sprint rural sites were converted to Nokia or Ericsson UMTS/LTE. Just look at New York as an example. Put B41 in Salim's (the lead RF engineer in NY) hands... Just see what happens.

And Legere's antics benefitting us would change people's hearts and minds.

^^^^ this is spot on! Nice post

That said I think SoftBank is still trying to recover from the "failed" merger.

• Like 2

I used to get that same impression from this site as well, but you'll soon understand that a lot of people are just tired of the unfair treatment from media and fanboys towards Sprint. Some of it has been warranted, but a LOT has been just unfair.

I have no emotional attachment to Sprint, or any carrier for that matter. I just like to keep up with the technological developments of the wireless industry and the carrier I use. One thing nobody can deny is that no other site comes close to what S4GRU provides for knowledge seekers. Sure, the random John Legere bashing does get old, but to be fair he does come across as an arrogant cunt when he bashes other carriers. Having said that, nobody should deny that he has done some things that have benefited consumers across the board. Like it was stated earlier, I don't believe Sprint would have given us Open World roaming for free had John Legere not done it.

John Legere has done good things for this industry and hardcore fanboys of At&t, Verizon or Sprint need to admit that.

• Like 8

Basically it would give the combined company free reign to be both Uncarrier and Supercarrier. The Supercarrier part is what would scare some people though. Especially the duo though.

That said the combination would have likely brought out the world's fastest carrier as far as LTE speeds. Coverage would also likely go to VZW like levels when one combines the T-Mobile and Sprint footprints with CCA partners.

• Like 2

Basically it would give the combined company free reign to be both Uncarrier and Supercarrier. The Supercarrier part is what would scare some people though. Especially the duo though.

No doubt -- not to go all tin hat, but I envision Randal calling Lowell --- this can't happen, while petting a cat.

Back to being semi seriousness, but this is all old news.

• Like 1

No doubt -- not to go all tin hat, but I envision Randal calling Lowell --- this can't happen, while petting a cat.

Back to being semi seriousness, but this is all old news.

I have to assume some of that went on behind the scenes. No way to prove to though.

I'll be first to say thank you to Legere for shaking things up.  Granted, he did it because he thought he could make money by shaking things up and doing things that no one else was doing.  Something that the Duopoly was never going to do, and Sprint probably thought they couldn't do for financial reasons (even if they wanted to).  It was risky.  It seems to have worked...at least so far.  We all are reaping the reward of it.  Even Sprint goes on the offensive now occasionally trying to move the bar themselves.

I don't kid myself that Legere is doing it all for us, though.  He thinks this is his best strategy for ultimate profitability for his shareholders.  And I hope that Legere and Marcelo think this is the best bet going for a long time.  True competition.

As a consumer, I want to pay the lowest price possible...WHILE STILL PROVIDING ENOUGH FUNDING TO KEEP IMPROVING THE NETWORK at an acceptable rate.

Sure, Legere can come off as a douchebag.  He makes a great target to make fun of.  Sometimes he may be given too much credit.  And I can't stand the cult of personality and the Tmo Fanboy worship of Legere.  But hey, as long as I still benefit, I'm going to tolerate him.  But I don't think I will stop Lampooning him when he leaves the door wide open.   :devilangel:

• Like 10

I'll be first to say thank you to Legere for shaking things up. Granted, he did it because he thought he could make money by shaking things up and doing things that no one else was doing. Something that the Duopoly was never going to do, and Sprint probably thought they couldn't do for financial reasons (even if they wanted to). It was risky. It seems to have worked...at least so far. We all are reaping the reward of it. Even Sprint goes on the offensive now occasionally trying to move the bar themselves.

I don't kid myself that Legere is doing it all for us, though. He thinks this is his best strategy for ultimate profitability for his shareholders. And I hope that Legere and Marcelo think this is the best bet going for a long time. True competition.

As a consumer, I want to pay the lowest price possible...WHILE STILL PROVIDING ENOUGH FUNDING TO KEEP IMPROVING THE NETWORK at an acceptable rate.

Sure, Legere can come off as a douchebag. He makes a great target to make fun of. Sometimes he may be given too much credit. And I can't stand the cult of personality and the Tmo Fanboy worship of Legere. But hey, as long as I still benefit, I'm going to tolerate him. But I don't think I will stop Lampooning him when he leaves the door wide open. :devilangel:

Also agree and in typical fashion well stated!

In all honesty I suspect that DT hired Legere for one thing only. To add subscribers at all costs - to attract a buyer.

Oddly it seems he did that job too well. I don't see how that can scale though. Both financially nor network capacity. We see one already hitting the wall.

• Like 2

And therein lies the rub.  Legere is the Pied Piper leading a march to the bottom.  If this handing out of candy keeps up, profit margins will become so slim that CAPEX will have to suffer, leading to industry consolidation down to three or even two national operators.  Legere is gambling on T-Mobile gaining enough groundswell to be one of the survivors or a merger target.

AJ

• Like 7

And therein lies the rub. Legere is the Pied Piper leading a march to the bottom. If this handing out of candy keeps up, profit margins will become so slim that CAPEX will have to suffer, leading to industry consolidation down to three or even two national operators. Legere is gambling on T-Mobile gaining enough groundswell to be one of the survivors or a merger target.

AJ

I said this after the merger "failed" but in reverse. Where SoftBank would run Sprint into the proverbial ground. Then state in order to survive they must be allowed to merge with T-MOBILE. And the cherry on top would be that DT was going to sell T-Mobile to a Chinese provider ;-)

Hey it's late so maybe I should stop posting again

And therein lies the rub. Legere is the Pied Piper leading a march to the bottom. If this handing out of candy keeps up, profit margins will become so slim that CAPEX will have to suffer, leading to industry consolidation down to three or even two national operators. Legere is gambling on T-Mobile gaining enough groundswell to be one of the survivors or a merger target.

AJ

Oh and I highly doubt many team magenta customers understand the above logic. All they see is a super star in the process.

But will it be the next new direction or a modern day Milli Vanilli

And therein lies the rub.  Legere is the Pied Piper leading a march to the bottom.  If this handing out of candy keeps up, profit margins will become so slim that CAPEX will have to suffer, leading to industry consolidation down to three or even two national operators.  Legere is gambling on T-Mobile gaining enough groundswell to be one of the survivors or a merger target.

AJ

The problem is that I don't see the real erosion of duopoly profit, even with VZW's Vodafone debt adventures and AT&T's DirecTV and Mexican adventures. If VZW drops the next shoe and sells off the remaining landline operations, that means they could be shopping themselves to Comcast. In the past I would have scoffed at this. Now? Not so much. 

• Like 1

The problem is that I don't see the real erosion of duopoly profit, even with VZW's Vodafone debt adventures and AT&T's DirecTV and Mexican adventures. If VZW drops the next shoe and sells off the remaining landline operations, that means they could be shopping themselves to Comcast. In the past I would have scoffed at this. Now? Not so much.

Oh God No!

My dad still has a landline on Verizon and I have Broadband Internet through Verizon.

Verizon is bad enough to deal with, but Comcast sux!

• Like 2