Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

They are continuing what they already planned for 2015. They aren't pulling back. But as far as the big NGN additional spending spree, that won't happen until 2016. They are just now getting all their money in place, and planning finalized. It's going to take that long to get started.

Nothing surprising here at all. What would be surprising is if they could get started with all that now. That would be shocking.

We're in the calm before the storm
  • Like 5

What is everyone's take on this? Some of is said seems plausible such as in 2018 when Softbank may try and merge Sprint and T-Mobile again but what I disagree with is with Softbank purchasing more Sprint shares to squash concerns about Sprints future.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-credit-ratings-get-downgraded-moodys-amid-unease-about-its-long-ter/2015-09-16

• Like 2

AFAIK sprint orders equipment and etc a quarter or two in advance. So the rest of this year is already set in stone if marcelo got his plans approved in early quarter 3.

No surprise really.

Sent from my Nexus 5

What is everyone's take on this? Some of is said seems plausible such as in 2018 when Softbank may try and merge Sprint and T-Mobile again but what I disagree with is with Softbank purchasing more Sprint shares to squash concerns about Sprints future.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-credit-ratings-get-downgraded-moodys-amid-unease-about-its-long-ter/2015-09-16

Why do you disagree that the major shareholder buy more of a stake in its investment?  Heck, what would be wrong with SoftBank buying out the whole company?  Nothing.  That's what.

• Like 9

There is nothing new being said in that story.  It's just Moody's and Craig Muppet's opinions of the known data.  Move along.  He said the same things back in 2012 that Sprint would be bankrupt in a year or two.  And here we are.  Things are actually looking better.  Not worse.

Sprint's position is difficult.  But less difficult than two years ago.  And all Sprint's problems can be fixed with capital and proper management.  The proper management is just about worked out.  And SoftBank can add capital any time it wants.  It's the want to part that leaves us all in a cliff hanger.

• Like 10

There is nothing new being said in that story. It's just Moody's and Craig Muppet's opinions of the known data. Move along. He said the same things back in 2012 that Sprint would be bankrupt in a year or two. And here we are. Things are actually looking better. Not worse.

Sprint's position is difficult. But less difficult than two years ago. And all Sprint's problems can be fixed with capital and proper management. The proper management is just about worked out. And SoftBank can add capital any time it wants. It's the want to part that leaves us all in a cliff hanger.

Moody/Craig: *Puts short-sell order in on S.*

Moody/Craig: "Hey everyone! Sprint stock is not worth buying!"

*Stock goes down.*

Profit?!

Sent from my M8

Why do you disagree that the major shareholder buy more of a stake in its investment?  Heck, what would be wrong with SoftBank buying out the whole company?  Nothing.  That's what.

Robert, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that. I was disagreeing with what Moody was saying. I agree with you, I think it's a great idea with Softbank buying more shares.

• Like 1

I don't think Softbank will add capital otherwise they would had done it shortly after Marcelo took over.

The Japanese banks will give Softbank billions on borrowing to buy stakes in Ventures like Alibaba but will decline funds to Sprint.

• Like 1

I don't think Softbank will add capital otherwise they would had done it shortly after Marcelo took over.

The Japanese banks will give Softbank billions on borrowing to buy stakes in Ventures like Alibaba but will decline funds to Sprint.

I think they are trying to make Sprint it's own way out first, and then see what they're short before investing anymore capital directly.  If they had just dumped a bunch of money on the old management scheme, it could have been largely wasted.  Marcelo needs to finish cleaning house and getting on the right path before Masa and SoftBank double down.

• Like 7

So...According to analysts, don't expect much on network deployment from Sprint (or AT&T for that matter) until 2016....

http://www.fierceinstaller.com/story/analysts-att-sprint-not-expected-ramp-network-spending-during-rest-2015/2015-09-14?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=internal

Take it for what it's worth...

Well, it looks like it didn't take long for Fabian to chime in on that.

Essentially, this is so near the beginning of the holiday season, it makes much more sense for a company to spend this time on planning/finalizing planning and preparing on starting the new year with a big project. This way, Sprint could even associate 2016 as their big year.

New Orleans results are in, and they don't look pretty for Sprint . they have their work cut in the Big Easy.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/new-orleans-la/2015/2H

They still did far better in call performance, reliability, and texting. The data speeds are sadly a bit on the rough side, but with the physical coverage being superior to T-Mobile, it just takes the overlaying. 

• Like 1

NOLA has always been a garbage market for T-Mobile, I am not shocked by that. Sprint's improvement is decent. 

Travis where you at?  :)

digiblur is not a Magentan, but he is with their mob, posting potshots in a FierceWireless comments section somewhere.

AJ

• Like 2

digiblur is not a Magentan, but he is with their mob, posting potshots in a FierceWireless comments section somewhere.

AJ

The chief error he makes is assuming that Louisiana is any sort of national indicator for the mobile market in the US. It isn't.

• Like 1

Port St. Lucie is on the list too. That could be a tough one because Magenta and Big Red were both over 30 Mbps there in the first half of 2015.

Big Red?  You mean Andy Reid?  Over 30 Mbps?  I doubt that he has ever moved that fast in his life -- unless the buffet had chicken wings.

:P

AJ

• Like 3

Port St. Lucie is on the list too. That could be a tough one because Magenta and Big Red were both over 30 Mbps there in the first half of 2015.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/port-st-lucie-fl/2015/1H

I'm seriously doubtful they'll be able to maintain that speed for this upcoming testing. But I am open to being proven wrong.

• Like 1

How do you guys "Like" my posts so quickly?  I hit "Post," and by the time it uploads, I often have at least one "Like."  Am I unknowingly living in a pod in The Matrix?

AJ

• Like 10

Port St. Lucie is on the list too. That could be a tough one because Magenta and Big Red were both over 30 Mbps there in the first half of 2015.http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/port-st-lucie-fl/2015/1H

It's all good for competition. And Sprint is definitely, finally now able to compete as well. Even if Sprint doesn't win there in speeds, improvements of any sort are welcome and are sure to come to pass.

I'm seriously doubtful they'll be able to maintain that speed for this upcoming testing. But I am open to being proven wrong.

It isn't a market with great congestion IIRC. It's not that Sprint's performance in that area is bad, it was pretty good. The problem is that pretty good has to go up against that. 2x carrier aggregation will help though.

• Like 1

New Orleans at least was historically a decent Sprint corporate market and should not be confused with the admitted crapfest that is the ex-affiliate markets surrounding it (most notoriously Baton Rouge, which even made/makes US Unwired's Mississippi markets and nTelosland seem good by comparison).

That said Sprint can and should do better in Baton Rouge. Any market with a large university (particularly those with students with money to burn, like most of the SEC schools do) has prime customers who haven't established brand preferences yet - but they will remember when they have more money down the road that they had a bad experience and won't go back even when they end up living and working somewhere Sprint's service is far better.

• Like 5