Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

That's nice of sprint to do that for folks on the IPhone forever. Too bad they aren't doing it for those like who who upgraded using easy pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha. They told me they would void our activation fees but I would have to chat them. Now they're doing it without asking. Too bad I have to pay for this activation fee for this 6. At least I don't have to pay for two tho.

• Like 1

Ha. They told me they would void our activation fees but I would have to chat them. Now they're doing it without asking. Too bad I have to pay for this activation fee for this 6. At least I don't have to pay for two tho.

That's good that sprints looking out for existing customers. I don't mind the activation fee. I just want the email saying my phone has shipped.

Isn't it obvious that Sprint just doesn't really want to be in the home ISP business?

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

And they definitely SHOULD NOT be in the home ISP business, nor should any wireless carrier.  

However, should they try and offer incentives to keep those hundreds of thousands of users on the Sprint network?  Absolutely.  Just not in a "I'm gonna tether my phone to your network to drag it to its knees" kind of way.  

They need all the subscribers they can get.

• Like 5

And they definitely SHOULD NOT be in the home ISP business, nor should any wireless carrier.  

However, should they try and offer incentives to keep those hundreds of thousands of users on the Sprint network?  Absolutely.  Just not in a "I'm gonna tether my phone to your network to drag it to its knees" kind of way.  

They need all the subscribers they can get.

But if those customers need a wireless ISP solution, and you know that, aren't you just now inviting abuse to your network?  Sprint already has lots of attractive offers to become a Sprint customer.  Also, I don't think there are as many Clear customers left as you think.  

Besides, these customers don't have a mobile phone provider problem.  They have a home ISP problem.  These customers already have wireless phone service from someone.  Many of them already have Sprint service.  Marcelo knows that.  And the ones who don't are just like customers that they are trying to attract from other providers.  Sprint already has programs to pick up customers from other providers.

So this magical picking up of mobile customers from a home ISP solution that is shutting down just is not very lucrative.  These people are not needing a new phone service because their ISP is closing.  Sprint would be saying, "hey, I know you no longer have home internet.  That's a pity.  How about a new mobile wireless plan?  You have to leave the house some time, right?  I know it doesn't meet your home ISP needs, but I need to sell some more service."

• Like 2

So this magical picking up of mobile customers from a home ISP solution that is shutting down just is not very lucrative. These people are not needing a new phone service because their ISP is closing. Sprint would be saying, "hey, I know you no longer have home internet. That's a pity. How about a new wireless plan? You have to leave the house some time, right? I know it doesn't meet your home ISP needs, but I need to sell some more service."

Same can be said about the DirectTV free year promo. Customers that have DirectTV don't necessarily need a new wireless service provider, but they still offer that incentive to switch to Sprint. Yes, the customers will still need to find anither home ISP, but they are likely sour about Sprint shutting off their affordable Wimax service. Besides, there can't be abuse if Sprint's free year promo doesn't include unlimited data options.

I know if AT&T decided to shut down my Uverse and tell me to find another provider, I'd be pissed. But I'd be less pissed if they threw in a year of free wireless service.

Sent from my M8

• Like 1

Same can be said about the DirectTV free year promo. Customers that have DirectTV don't necessarily need a new wireless service provider, but they still offer that incentive to switch to Sprint. Yes, the customers will still need to find anither home ISP, but they are likely sour about Sprint shutting off their affordable Wimax service. Besides, there can't be abuse if Sprint's free year promo doesn't include unlimited data options.

I know if AT&T decided to shut down my Uverse and tell me to find another provider, I'd be pissed. But I'd be less pissed if they threw in a year of free wireless service.

Sent from my M8

DirecTV has what, 50M customers?  Clear has thousands.  Also, DirecTV is not a home ISP and is not shutting down.

Sprint is trying to jump in and compete directly with AT&T as AT&T is going to be making a big push to convert their new DirecTV customers.  Sprint just wants this HUGE MASS of DirecTV customers that will be forced to consider AT&T (many of which are already Sprint customers) to think about Sprint at the same time.  And a very lucrative deal that they are being offered.

This is not even on the same planet as Clear being shut down.  AT&T was counting on picking up X% of DirecTV customers.  Sprint is trying to disrupt that.

• Like 3

Now, not only you inviting people who now have no ISP service to abuse your network, you also recommend Sprint give it to them for free?  No thank you.  This doesn't make sense on any level.  And the last time I saw the data, nearly 50% of Clear customers already have Sprint.  Sprint also already does have specials and promos for Clear customers.  They are stuffed in their bill every month.

• Like 4

Sent from my M8

And again not sure what data cap or limits clear had. But for home isp use, 2gb is nothing.

Comparing what sprint did with the directv deal and no deal to clear customers is apples to peanut butter.

sprint made the right call 10x over.

I understand both sides to the issue of offering something to Clear customers resulting from the WiMax shutdown. However, ultimately it's good for the loyalty factor to offer a discount for wireless service, because of the fact Clear customers have stuck with paying Sprint all this time for a service they were getting from Clear, yet still paying Sprint the past few years Sprint has carried Clear service.

I see it as a customer loyalty discount, if anything. Instead of offering free service, as with DirecTV, perhaps a monthly discount of sorts to any of Sprint's current plan offerings, or a discount to people who already have both Sprint and Clear.

Those Clear customers who have to go through the process of selecting an ISP and the whole new installation process, hoping the new billing doesn't get messed up, etc., will be less likely to leave Sprint, or be less likely to never go with Sprint service, if Sprint were to offer them something for the inconvenience of now having to get a new ISP.

• Like 2

That is a very good deal indeed.

If the LG G4 were to have a promotion of $249, that would get me back on Sprint pretty fast.

I think it would be a good idea if Sprint had one year contracts, as that would be great for those, including me, who really want to get a new device every year. Or expand one year leases. Since IPhones are around $20 to $35 for one year exchanges ( not trying to be exact, just essentially estimating here, acknowledging that it is a two year agreement for that deal), it would be nice to have this deal for all devices.

• Like 1

That's basically the trend. They easily land #2 or #3 in reliability, calling, and usually texting, but their data is either still a bit painful, or just getting there. Otherwise they outright win #1 or #2 as Sprint's long-goal is. 

For real world use, so long as you can pull 3-5 megabits down pretty much always, that's actually quite good. Even most red check users are unaware they can barely pull even 1 most of the time on their LTE or 3G connections, so you guys need to keep that in mind.

As such, Sprint's probably perfectly fine for everyday use in the majority of these markets, but the data just isn't all there for the e-you-know-what. 

Edited by cortney
  • Like 1

I know it is an iffy topic to mention, but I'm going to mention something about it quickly anyways.

I've read many of these reports last year and of course this year too. No offense towards anyone here who likes AT&T, but they are really slipping in these reports. So much are they, along with T-Mobile as well, that I'm increasingly believing that AT&T might try again for another merger attempt with T-Mobile.

AT&T might claim the need to do so, in order to handle the increased load in data demand for their customers, while also citing their growth in business deeming the need for more network space. AT&T could claim that without joining T-Mobile, they could need to raise prices, in order to lessen data usage, which would backfire in causing a loss of growth in the entertainment content sector, along with many other internet connected businesses which rely on AT&T's resources.

T-Mobile may claim that they need the low band spectrum which AT&T has plenty of. If AT&T offered T-Mobile another good deal to acquire it, I imagine John Legere would really increase his activism for that spectrum he really wants and so often claims the FCC's set aside of 30mhz 600mhz spectrum isn't enough. He could then claim that if AT&T and T-Mobile were allowed to merge, T-Mobile wouldn't need much of the 600mhz spectrum, allowing other "small" carriers a better opportunity to get that spectrum.

I have more to say about this later, including what I think may happen with Verizon, later.

I know it is an iffy topic to mention, but I'm going to mention something about it quickly anyways.

I've read many of these reports last year and of course this year too. No offense towards anyone here who likes AT&T, but they are really slipping in these reports. So much are they, along with T-Mobile as well, that I'm increasingly believing that AT&T might try again for another merger attempt with T-Mobile.

AT&T might claim the need to do so, in order to handle the increased load in data demand for their customers, while also citing their growth in business deeming the need for more network space. AT&T could claim that without joining T-Mobile, they could need to raise prices, in order to lessen data usage, which would backfire in causing a loss of growth in the entertainment content sector, along with many other internet connected businesses which rely on AT&T's resources.

T-Mobile may claim that they need the low band spectrum which AT&T has plenty of. If AT&T offered T-Mobile another good deal to acquire it, I imagine John Legere would really increase his activism for that spectrum he really wants and so often claims the FCC's set aside of 30mhz 600mhz spectrum isn't enough. He could then claim that if AT&T and T-Mobile were allowed to merge, T-Mobile wouldn't need much of the 600mhz spectrum, allowing other "small" carriers a better opportunity to get that spectrum.

I have more to say about this later, including what I think may happen with Verizon, later.

For the sake of everyone I hope you're wrong! I personally feel that AT&T has just lost interest in keeping their network tip top while instead focusing on DTV and their new project in Mexico.

I do agree that they're slipping all over the country. Chicago is not one of those places though.

• Like 2

The execs can claim all they want. I don't see how any of those points invalidate the government's insistence on four competitive carriers. Neither AT&T nor T-Mobile are going bankrupt anytime soon. They have both grown bigger since the 2011 merger attempt. Sprint on the other hand...
  • Like 4

For the sake of everyone I hope you're wrong! I personally feel that AT&T has just lost interest in keeping their network tip top while instead focusing on DTV and their new project in Mexico.

I do agree that they're slipping all over the country. Chicago is not one of those places though.

I also hope I'm wrong about this too, despite there being some advantages to this, though not many. My main want for a merger, is for Sprint or Dish to acquire T-Mobile, but then eventually having Softbank/Sprint owning both Dish and T-Mobile.

However, I have some thoughts of what I think is likely to happen, despite my not necessarily liking them. The AT&T/T-Mobile merger being one of them. My other thought I'll mention later, is even worse. Although, I'm putting together what I've been reading, then looking at the possibilities that may be the outcome of these. Either good or bad, I 'm curious what ideas people here have of them. I definitely like the feedback of the ideas themselves. Makes this a great place for learning and sharing information, which S4GRU certainly is a great site!

I believe they'll slip in many cities for a couple-few more quarters until they get both high-band (WCS) rolling and phone to use on it. That will look ugly, but it won't mean their service is useless, IMO. It's basically up to the user to wait or leave. I do agree it's arguably inexcusable, but every carrier has bad markets and areas and you have vote with your wallet. 

They are furiously overlaying mid-band and I doubt me and digiblur (not to bring him into this but I happened to see his comment on FW) are the only people on earth who've noticed this. And the pace has increased very much in the last few months, I've also noticed that.

If one cannot wait, that's absolutely understandable, just leave. 

I don't think AT&T is so unaware of their issues, and by the increased pace, it shows DTV / Mexican operations have nothing to do with it. Sadly, people in rural areas or on that "one bad tower" in the "wrong place at the wrong time" are not going to absolutely see the improvements tomorrow. So in that regard, oh well for you. 

I'm not saying they'll fix it all, or improve in notoriously problematic areas, and I'm not saying everyone is going to see the improvements. 

Ok not trying to be an *** but are you serious? The just bought dtv. Going after Tmo again would get killed again. And certainly with the auction coming the gov isn't going to allow any merger. - yet. Att would by spectrum from dish or sign some agreement with dish if they became that crunched. Dish is the one who HAS to do something soon. I also believe somewhere it was mentioned att and sprint could swap some spectrum to give themselves wider bands.

as spectrum gets thin the new tech is how to add capacity with what they have.

All the carriers have a plan for dishes spectrum they are just waiting for Charlie ... Which they might be waiting a while on. But believe me. The first one to officially not bid is probably because they are going after dish and /or their spectrum.

The execs can claim all they want. I don't see how any of those points invalidate the government's insistence on four competitive carriers. Neither AT&T nor T-Mobile are going bankrupt anytime soon. They have both grown bigger since the 2011 merger attempt. Sprint on the other hand...

Very good points, and if the government didn't consist of so many lying, sneaky, deceptive, etc. politicians, I can certainly see them keeping their word. However, I definitely can see them flip flopping on this, just takes some with the deal itself - of course, along with the approach - T-Mobile has John Legere now, even the possibility of a shift of politicians, along with other changes and not to neglect mentioning, other exchanges it might take to get the deal to go though.