Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

The info has been really paltry on NGN but that's by design. SoftBank is trying to underpromise and overdeliver. It's a refreshing change from Sprint past.

Lack of info on NGN is probably due more to lack of clear funding.  A more speculatively positive possibility is a developing network sharing agreement with a strategic partner.

Lack of info on NGN is probably due more to lack of clear funding. A more speculatively positive possibility is a developing network sharing agreement with a strategic partner.

They have publically stated NGN is funded. As a publically traded company I don't think they can say that and it not be true without running into legal problems.

• Like 2

They have publically stated NGN is funded. As a publically traded company I don't think they can say that and it not be true without running into legal problems.

Public companies are legally responsible for their filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, of which there is currently nothing about NGN:  http://investors.sprint.com/docs.aspx?iid=4057219

As for "true", companies fail in their technical and financial plans all the time.  Thus, the prudent customer or investor does their due dilligence by examining the what should be detailed plans, receipts, reports, statements, tests, etc.  A quite relevant example was the once publicly-trade company called Clearwire and their public statements about Sprint and implementing 4G Wimax.

Exactly. Per the last paragraph of the letter (http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/an-open-letter-to-our-friends-at-att-and-directv.htm), the next 24 hours should be very interesting. I don't see Marcelo or Kevin backing down.

AT&T obviously views Sprint's offer as more of a threat than a gimmick or else they'd just take the money and run the ads. Perhaps an open letter should be penned to the FCC and DoJ as well. Something simple and to the point along the lines of

Dear FCC & DoJ:

Is this what you envisioned when you approved the AT&T-DirecTV merger-censorship and anti-competitive tactics? How is that in the American public's best interest?

-M

• Like 13

It's great to see him speak out on how spectrum rich, Sprint is. They need to get marketing to make ads for common folk to understand why its important.

https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/642047515248848896

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I don't think that would be a wise investment. Most people don't care about spectrum or why it's important. I think most people just care about if their phone does what they want and do it fast.

Edited by JThorson

Being "funded" might even just refer to the new off balance sheet vehicle softbank is creating for network equipment. The problem with this is that it's possibly not viewable to anyone outside the organization, so all details do not need to be disclosed in sprint's filings. (Maybe this is by design) I know this is supposed to help sprint's bottom line, but any serious investor will realize that this is just another deferment of costs until (hopefully) sprint's financials get significantly better... and is a way for softbank to provide 'money' but hedge it's bets in case it doesn't work out.

• Like 1

Public companies are legally responsible for their filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, of which there is currently nothing about NGN: http://investors.sprint.com/docs.aspx?iid=4057219

As for "true", companies fail in their technical and financial plans all the time. Thus, the prudent customer or investor does their due dilligence by examining the what should be detailed plans, receipts, reports, statements, tests, etc. A quite relevant example was the once publicly-trade company called Clearwire and their public statements about Sprint and implementing 4G Wimax.

It is true that companies fail in there financial plans all the time and Sprint may fail but that is not the same as them not having a funding plan in place. Further, I think misleading or lying to investors on a quarterly earnings call would land excs. In hot water.

Exactly. Per the last paragraph of the letter (http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/an-open-letter-to-our-friends-at-att-and-directv.htm), the next 24 hours should be very interesting. I don't see Marcelo or Kevin backing down.

I have a feeling the FCC/FTC would be interested in this...

This isn't the first time a company has refused to accept advertisements from a competitor and I don't think the government has stepped in before. A few weeks ago, there were news stories that NBC (owned by Comcast) wouldn't allow Dish Network's Sling TV to buy commercial time on the network. While it certainly seems like it's an anticompetitive practice, I don't think the companies ae breaking any laws by doing it. A company is allowed to choose which entities can and cannot buy advertising from it.

Some interesting news:

Sprint President and CEO Marcelo Claure Named Vice Chairman of CTIA-The Wireless Association

Link: http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-president-and-ceo-marcelo-claure-named-vice-chairman-of-ctia-the-wireless-association.htm

One-year term begins Jan. 1, 2016.

• Like 8

Foreshadowing???

If that is the case, Sprint most likely de-crowning T-Mobile the fastest network speed in Las Vegas.  Sprint was at 11Mbps and T-Mobile was at 12Mbps from 1H2015.

• Like 3

It's so funny how Sprint is making a comeback in the network department. John is probably shaking in his boots seeing that Sprint was actually faster than them in a major metro market. On top of that, they are already outperforming T-Mobile on a statewide and national level so it's going to be tough for T-Mobile to tout their network pretty soon.

• Like 11

It's so funny how Sprint is making a comeback in the network department. John is probably shaking in his boots seeing that Sprint was actually faster than them in a major metro market. On top of that, they are already outperforming T-Mobile on a statewide and national level so it's going to be tough for T-Mobile tout their network pretty soon.

John will just keep dissing RootMetrics for as long as he can

• Like 6

John will just keep dissing RootMetrics for as long as he can

So first Metro 2H2015 reports out.  Sprint 1, Verizon 1.  Great start!

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/map/2015-2H?category=overall

• Like 3

Saw a story earlier on Bloomberg where Masa recently tried to take SoftBank private. The number mentioned was $70 billion. I guess he's not happy with the stock price. The main reason mentioned for the depressed price was the crushing debt load and the drag from Sprint.