Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

1 hour ago, Brad The Beast said:

They need to get 5G on 100MHz so they're closer Verizons mmWave speed-wise. 300Mbps is what we see on LTE currently. 

They actually don't need to add more spectrum, it's more about backhaul at this point. 3xCA B41 with 4x4MIMO and 256QAM is considered gigabit class.

9 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

They actually don't need to add more spectrum, it's more about backhaul at this point. 3xCA B41 with 4x4MIMO and 256QAM is considered gigabit class.

Need to get better backhaul in these areas then.

He is talking about 5G which can go faster than gigabit

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Need to get better backhaul in these areas then.
Sprint likely doesn't have the money to get 1-2gb backhaul yet. So they are competing on coverage and reliability. It should work. Most people are not running speed tests on there devices but they do notice 5G icon. If it's there more than any other carrier and still really fast Sprint will start finally winning customers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Terrell352 said:

Sprint likely doesn't have the money to get 1-2gb backhaul yet. So they are competing on coverage and reliability. It should work. Most people are not running speed tests on there devices but they do notice 5G icon. If it's there more than any other carrier and still really fast Sprint will start finally winning customers.

I won't be satisfied until I get 1Tbps over 5G. /s

• Like 1

You guys failed to realize though, with Verizon's 5g, you have to be standing within 300 feet or less of a node to get anything, while you can drive around with Sprint's which has greater coverage.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, kg4icg said:

You guys failed to realize though, with Verizon's 5g, you have to be standing within 300 feet or less of a node to get anything, while you can drive around with Sprint's which has greater coverage.

There is potential here though that Sprint needs to capitalize on. Coverage is one of those. The other would be speed. Then they could say "hey, our 5G isn't quite as fast as Verizons but: ours is more reliable, we've got coverage that good enough to the point where you can drive around and hang onto it, and the coverage is good enough and fast enough to provide you a wireless home internet solution". But of course the last thing requires major backhaul upgrades. 

Just now, Brad The Beast said:

There is potential here though that Sprint needs to capitalize on. Coverage is one of those. The other would be speed. Then they could say "hey, our 5G isn't quite as fast as Verizons but: ours is more reliable, we've got coverage that good enough to the point where you can drive around and hang onto it, and the coverage is good enough and fast enough to provide you a wireless home internet solution". But of course the last thing requires major backhaul upgrades. 

That's where that HTC hub comes in

That's where that HTC hub comes in
The HTC hub would work if the site's had more backhaul. Once 5G is saturating the market it's going to be alot slower at current backhaul and settings. John did say that 5G upload was on the way in the coming weeks(usually translates to 3-6 months).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

They need to get 5G on 100MHz so they're closer Verizons mmWave speed-wise. 300Mbps is what we see on LTE currently. 

Saw said that once DSS becomes available they'll be able to use 100MHz of spectrum for 5G and 60MHz for LTE simultaneously.

• Like 6

Saw said that once DSS becomes available they'll be able to use 100MHz of spectrum for 5G and 60MHz for LTE simultaneously.
What is DSS?

I get it now. If TMO and Sprint have to give up spectrum to pass the merger that could make 5G deployment easier

• Like 3

So here is the mysterious Sprint B26 site in Williston, ND. I can only pick up on B26. So I suspect that's all that's broadcasting. It seems odd Sprint would just put up a 3x3 B26 site only.f43bb5ff3c0589cf5c0a4c83a8e7ea52.jpg7fe347963ebe06455a8f17e0c24456b5.jpga6d4302209e69494fb4ca7920f9f5932.jpgcd2be08afe2d3cff52db931905b72547.jpg45264587d67d852a3d48cb814b0991ad.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, bretton88 said:

So here is the mysterious Sprint B26 site in Williston, ND. I can only pick up on B26. So I suspect that's all that's broadcasting. It seems odd Sprint would just put up a 3x3 B26 site only.f43bb5ff3c0589cf5c0a4c83a8e7ea52.jpg7fe347963ebe06455a8f17e0c24456b5.jpga6d4302209e69494fb4ca7920f9f5932.jpgcd2be08afe2d3cff52db931905b72547.jpg45264587d67d852a3d48cb814b0991ad.jpg

It looks like it's 800 only. I only see a Samsung 800 RRU. 

• Like 2

It looks like it's 800 only. I only see a Samsung 800 RRU. 
Yep. Just a single C2A to a 2 port antenna. A super rare find!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

That's very encouraging news. I guess we'll see if Sprint's 5G impacts customer adds at some point.

Yep. Just a single C2A to a 2 port antenna. A super rare find!

I wonder what's the point of putting up a B26 only site up. If you're going to the expense of setting up a new site, why not do a full triband setup? To note, I suspect there are similar setups on the town's along Highway 2 through Montana, as I found B26 in some of those towns too last weekend.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bretton88 said:

I wonder what's the point of putting up a B26 only site up. If you're going to the expense of setting up a new site, why not do a full triband setup? To note, I suspect there are similar setups on the town's along Highway 2 through Montana, as I found B26 in some of those towns too last weekend.

A way of spending as little as possible and be able to deploy VoLTE..

• Like 3

$$$,$$$.

Same reason why T-mobile and Vzw and ATT throws up low band only sites in rural areas.

Optimize sites for coverage and then go back and add mid band and high band if there's demand.

• Like 4