Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Sprint actually has been running 40mhz

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It's actually 60

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Real world difference. This is definitely the press they need..

Also this is Tmobile 4G vs Sprint 5G

• Like 4

More! This is pretty insane..

• Like 3

Sprint is showing some good results. Granted, it’s not 1gbps but it’s exceeded Verizon in terms of coverage and reliability. Kudos to Sprint! This is the good press they needed. Playing up their strength of allowing the reviewers to walk around the city and still maintain speeds looks great on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Terrell352 said:

Proof

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PCMag said it's 60MHz of spectrum.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/368681/sprint-launches-first-broad-5g-coverage-in-4-cities

Also when Sprint was in Barcelona at MWC they said they would devote 60MHz to LTE and 60MHz to 5G. The only time they used 40MHz for 5G was in their demo at Google IO.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RedSpark said:

I hope we get an update on official VoLTE support at some point soon.

Forgive me, but it seems a bit ridiculous that Sprint’s talking about launching 5G when VoLTE isn’t officially available nationwide or on popular phones like the S9/S9+/Note 9/Pixel 3 series, etc.

Maybe 5G is the best way for VoLTE for Sprint minus a merger.  When your this late for the party, might be better to be early for the next one.

• Like 2

To all the people crying about VoLTE availability on certain existing phones and trying to relate that with the requirement for VoLTE being turned on for access to 5G need to realize that none of the devices they are crying about will ever see 5G and none of the 5G devices will have to "wait" for VoLTE to be accessible in settings. Two unrelated things. As for VoLTE not being nationwide, neither is the current deployment of 5G

1 hour ago, cyclone said:

To all the people crying about VoLTE availability on certain existing phones and trying to relate that with the requirement for VoLTE being turned on for access to 5G need to realize that none of the devices they are crying about will ever see 5G and none of the 5G devices will have to "wait" for VoLTE to be accessible in settings. Two unrelated things. As for VoLTE not being nationwide, neither is the current deployment of 5G

Taking your statement on its face. What do you expect the uptake for 5G devices to be on Sprint as part of the customer base?

The LG V50 is the only 5G handset on Sprint until the Samsung Galaxy S10 5G launches. Note that the LG V50 is only available in the four initial 5G Launch Markets to start off.

We probably won’t have an iPhone 5G until Fall 2020 given the Intel/Qualcomm issues, in addition to the fact that 5G isn’t widely available enough for Apple’s liking. Of course, VoLTE is supported on iPhone 8 and later models, so that’s not a concern here.

So yes, some folks will upgrade to these 5G devices and have VoLTE right away.

In short, there are more current customers who have relatively current devices like the S9/Note 9/Pixel 3 series who don’t yet have VoLTE supported than the people who are upgrading to 5G devices.

Why would Sprint want to show off how awful their LTE network is in actual use? Having 1 network run at 3 Mbps which 99.99% of your customers use seems pretty embarrassing to me.

Why would Sprint want to show off how awful their LTE network is in actual use? Having 1 network run at 3 Mbps which 99.99% of your customers use seems pretty embarrassing to me.
Dude come on you know that's a false claim. Sprint hits faster DL speed than that

• Like 2

Yes. Agreed. This speed test shows the stark difference between LTE and 5G: 

Either there was a super low signal, or B41 LTE was very congested. While 5G was empty. Not really impressed with the 5G speed seeing as no one else was on it. Maybe the site doesn't have enough backhaul?

And that definitely looks like B41 LTE for upload on 5G.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, ingenium said:

Either there was a super low signal, or B41 LTE was very congested. While 5G was empty. Not really impressed with the 5G speed seeing as no one else was on it. Maybe the site doesn't have enough backhaul?

While its peak speeds might not be super duper impressive(im ok with its 800mbs peak so far), since it seems to have super smooth handoff from LTE this will be just like as if you just added 40-60Mhz of spectrum which is awesome. Plus, as you mentioned, not many users on it, so it will be like taking a freeway with a toll and way less congestion. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ingenium said:

Either way though, 5G is doing what it’s supposed to do here.

They should add capacity to that LTE site, if it’s picking up a different one.

I seem to recall that the footprint for 5G from Massive MIMO sites will essentially be the same as the LTE footprint from them, given that Sprint is using similar frequencies and running it off of the same Massive MIMO gear. Of course, not every site will be Massive MIMO.

• Like 2

1e335202dd671fba641715b046bef34c.jpg

The speeds we are seeing are with hardly any phones on the 5G network.. once more phones got on to the network... mmmmm [emoji848], just throwing that out there.. I just hope the total of 120mhz will be used as stated by John that 5G phone can makes use of all the spectrum

The speeds we are seeing are with hardly any phones on the 5G network.. once more phones got on to the network... mmmmm [emoji848], just throwing that out there.. I just hope the total of 120mhz will be used as stated by John that 5G phone can makes use of all the spectrum

They will have to at some point. That's the plan under new Tmobile. Not sure how Sprint is going to do it on there own

8 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

The speeds we are seeing are with hardly any phones on the 5G network.. once more phones got on to the network... mmmmm emoji848.png, just throwing that out there.. I just hope the total of 120mhz will be used as stated by John that 5G phone can makes use of all the spectrum

They can eventually dynamically allocate spectrum from LTE to 5G. So not really a big concern. If I can enjoy 100mbs+ speeds as an early adopter (vs 5-10mb on LTE) I'll take it.

• Like 1

They can eventually dynamically allocate spectrum from LTE to 5G. So not really a big concern. If I can enjoy 100mbs+ speeds as an early adopter (vs 5-10mb on LTE) I'll take it.
I still think that 5G will work better by combining with TMO. That way all 2.5 can be used along with B71. Then in the future when everyone gets 5G devices reframe B25 to 5G

• Like 1

I want to see how the Samsung and Nokia equipment handles 5G. 

• Like 1

Hmmm, just dawned on me that the 4G is the primary and 5g is the 4th carrier (channel), hence the slow upload speeds.

9 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

Hmmm, just dawned on me that the 4G is the primary and 5g is the 4th carrier (channel), hence the slow upload speeds.

Ah ok makes sense. It seems to be limited to a single upload carrier. 

@Terrell352 You weren't completely wrong. It appears Sprint is using either 40 or 60MHz of spectrum depending on the market according to FierceWireless.

For 5G, Sprint is using up to 120 MHz: 60 MHz for LTE and from 40-60 MHz on the 5G NR side at launch.

At a demonstration of its new 5G network in Dallas this morning, speed tests delivered 100 Mbps on the low-end with peak speeds up to 1 Gbps. “You should see 5G speeds about five times above LTE,” said Saw.

• Like 2