Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

14 minutes ago, ingenium said:

I *think* that the 5G spec allows carrier aggregation between 5G and LTE. I'm not sure if Sprint has implemented that yet.

So guess is that it will work natively on 5G without dropping to LTE. The fact that they can be aggregated and are fully backwards compatible implies that they have the equivalent of EUTRA sessions. One of the big selling points of 5G is the ability to do fine grained QoS and such. So VoLTE (or VoNR?) seems perfect for 5G.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Sprint has enabled EN-DC on their NR network. N2500 will be aggregated with L2500 from launch day. 

VoNR will be deployed, although I don't know if it will be live on launch day. 

• Like 2

While we are on the conversation of 5G. It seems that Verizon is using LTE for uploads, I wonder if Sprint will do sometime similar.

Hope not ! Would be good to see faster true 5G upload

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

While we are on the conversation of 5G. It seems that Verizon is using LTE for uploads, I wonder if Sprint will do sometime similar.  

This the first sprint 5G test a841bd06c1d61289dcd0fa7a4c3345ba.jpg

Enjoy

Don’t think sprint has the operational cost to run multi gigabit backhaul on all 5G sites..

Few people I spoke with say this is the biggest leap sprint has ever made in terms of how the network is now performing under 5G using massive Mimo and how good volte is operating.. the team is not convinced that they will creat a ton of foot traffic because Of this .. they are still expecting customer to leave at a faster rate than what they are gaining

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

Enjoy

Don’t think sprint has the operational cost to run multi gigabit backhaul on all 5G sites..

Few people I spoke with say this is the biggest leap sprint has ever made in terms of how the network is now performing under 5G using massive Mimo and how good volte is operating.. the team is not convinced that they will creat a ton of foot traffic because Of this .. they are still expecting customer to leave at a faster rate than what they are gaining

Wonder what the engineering screens look like?!

• Like 2

Wonder what the engineering screens look like?!

I will ask.... to see if the team will send me a screen shot 

Opps was not supposed to share that link my bad

Also, the team is not confident that many of sprints customers are going switch to the LG v50 or any of the 5G devices coming right of the back..

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

I will ask.... to see if the team will send me a screen shot 

Opps was not supposed to share that link my bad

Also, the team is not confident that many of sprints customers are going switch to the LG v50 or any of the 5G devices coming right of the back..

Requiring that people upgrade to Unlimited Premium certainly won’t help with the uptake numbers for 5G or the devices. They should reconsider this.

Also, the device isn’t available outside of the four initial launch cities right now. They’re using a location filter of some kind on the Sprint website.

Edited by RedSpark
Added detail
  • Like 2

Requiring that people upgrade to Unlimited Premium certainly won’t help with the uptake numbers for 5G or the devices. They should reconsider this. Also, the device isn’t available outside of the four initial launch cities right now. They’re using a location filter of some kind on the Sprint website.

Yup, so on the network side it will be a successful launch.. but that’s about it .. most of the us won’t get to try it .. hopefully sprint does what Verizon did and send some of the CNET’s and some blogs out to test the networks. If not it will be a very quiet and unnoticed launch imo.. other than of course what sprint announces and that’s about it

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Requiring that people upgrade to Unlimited Premium certainly won’t help with the uptake numbers for 5G or the devices. They should reconsider this.

Also, the device isn’t available outside of the four initial launch cities right now. They’re using a location filter of some kind on the Sprint website.

In my opinion, this isn't a bad compromise. Shoot for higher arpu customers and limit it to markets that actually have 5G deployed.

Just seems sensible considering Sprint's position and that it isn't free to deploy.

• Like 1

Yup, so on the network side it will be a successful launch.. but that’s about it .. most of the us won’t get to try it .. hopefully sprint does what Verizon did and send some of the CNET’s and some blogs out to test the networks. If not it will be a very quiet and unnoticed launch imo.. other than of course what sprint announces and that’s about it  

I doubt it but they’ll be certainly making a video after they purchase a device. Sprint already made claims that their 5G coverage is going to broader in cities than that of Verizon so that within itself will draw attention from CNET. I really really hope this goes good for Sprint. I think it’ll bring much needed good press about their 5G network.

• Like 3

If Sprint can just prove to CNET and others that you don't need to be within line of site of a cell site to get decent speeds, they'll already be ahead of the pack even if they can't provide gigabit peaks like VZW.

For these Verizon tests the press were encouraged to stand a certain distance away from the site and to face the antenna, etc. Sprint should just give the device to them and tell them they can roam free.

• Like 4

These M-MIMO are going to be a huge hit to the backhaul limits. Are there any plans to use a network cache at the sites that get the most used traffic instead of rising the backhaul limits? 

I know you can make a steam cache on your home LAN. So you only reach out to steam once for the game the first time then everyone else gets redirected to the cache after it is downloaded. I think Netflix has something similar where they deploy something to the ISP a "Netflix Open Connect". Netflix Open Connect looks like it is a 2U NAS with everything Netflix on it. It won't help video chatting but it should be able to take the two data hogs(Netflix and youtube) off the back haul.

On 5/17/2019 at 3:24 PM, RedSpark said:

It says this in the FAQ’s:

VoLTE is a simple toggle switch and will be set to “ON” as the default setting for 5G capable devices that become available. But in case it’s turned off, you can easily switch it back on by following the steps below.

Android Phones: Go to Settings > Connections or Network & internet > Voice Networks.  Set the VoLTE toggle to On.

iOS Phones:  Go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Enable LTE > Select Voice and Data

VoLTE (Voice over LTE) is the next generation of voice service for your phone. VoLTE will direct your voice calls over Sprint’s advanced LTE network instead of the our traditional wireless voice network. VoLTE will provide superior voice quality and allow you to browse the Internet and use data-driven apps while on a call. VoLTE must be enabled on your device to experience our 5G network where available.

The way this is worded implies support for on;y two Gs at a time, ie 3g & 4g or 4g & 5g.

Interestingly enough, i can only seem to find B26 up here in Williston, I have not found any 25 or 41, no matter where in town I go. I have a suspicion what tower it's on, but not for sure.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

On 5/18/2019 at 3:55 PM, tyroned3222 said:

Enjoy

This looks like a screen shot from a galaxy phone. I guess they have the S10 5G already for testing? 

9 hours ago, bretton88 said:

Interestingly enough, i can only seem to find B26 up here in Williston, I have not found any 25 or 41, no matter where in town I go. I have a suspicion what tower it's on, but not for sure.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Post pictures.  Triangulate by getting three sectors.  Switch phone to CDMA may also help if 1x800 is active, which might  give the GPS for the actual site.

On 5/18/2019 at 3:55 PM, tyroned3222 said:

Enjoy

I can get this speed on Sprint's LTE network now.  Without 5G.  🙂

Just now, Yuhfhrh said:

Verizon also is showing pretty low upload speeds on 5G. Are they both just aggregating NR on an LTE carrier?

Verizon's NR deployment is NSA (non-standalone). They are using LTE for uplink. 

Think of it as an LTE PCC aggregated with a downlink-only NR SCC. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Verizon's NR deployment is NSA (non-standalone). They are using LTE for uplink. 

Think of it as an LTE PCC aggregated with a downlink-only NR SCC. 

Is this what Sprint is also doing? Or do we know yet?

26 minutes ago, Yuhfhrh said:

Is this what Sprint is also doing? Or do we know yet?

Sprint's plan is to deploy standalone NR with EN-DC, as they don't suffer from the same uplink issues mmWave deployments do. This is effectively an NR PCC aggregated with LTE SCCs.

That being said, I don't know if we'll see SA or NSA NR for the initial launch. Judging from the upload speeds in the screenshots I've seen on various Sprint engineers twitters', I doubt the initial launch will be SA NR...

• Like 5

Verizon also is showing pretty low upload speeds on 5G. Are they both just aggregating NR on an LTE carrier?
Accept sometimes vzws uploads are not that slow. It's possible to get 50-60 up on VZW. I don't think we will ever see that on Sprint. Tmobile yes. They could use LTE for upload and then NR for down and TMO has much more spectrum to use for uploads

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Accept sometimes vzws uploads are not that slow. It's possible to get 50-60 up on VZW. I don't think we will ever see that on Sprint. Tmobile yes. They could use LTE for upload and then NR for down and TMO has much more spectrum to use for uploads

Sprint could easily achieve comparable uploads with 1.9 or 2.5.

Sprint could easily achieve comparable uploads with 1.9 or 2.5.
On B41 wouldn't it need 3xca up and 64qam? B25 in areas that have higher BW then 5x5.