Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

The thing I'd like to point out that I haven't seen on here is that the Sprint Direct2You is a huge mobile billboard!

Marketing, marketing, marketing. If the picture of one of the Fiats that they used online is the actual fleet car that they use for this, that logo is different and it's proven in marketing that white on black or yellow on black is the top color scheme the brain remembers. I see so many benefits of this service even beyond the fact it's a delivery and setup service. 

Deval and clbowens make a great point. If they can also have these people check the network in all these different locations that they need to go, it will make the network better optimized for the real world user. Office buildings, subdivisions, parks, downtown, the coffee shop... they are going where the average consumer will be.

Either way, it's publicity, signage and marketing for them.

And yes, it is still a "newer" service but jeez, keep an open mind people. I probably will never use it myself, but thinking in others peoples shoes I could totally see how this would make the process of getting any device easier for some. 

I agree with you on that.

Also, I think that Sprint's new service goes much further than its face value.  Yes, there may be a niche market for this new service.  However, those who are interested are bound to like it. I mean, I would never use it but, it is a cool concept!  If even just a fraction of that "niche" group use and have a good experience, they're likely to tell their friends/fam about this cool new service/experience from Sprint in a positive way. Thus improving the brand image of Sprint.  

• Like 1

Just got an interesting email from Sprint about my iPhone Forever return:

I returned the three week old iPhone 6 Plus in the return package. Can't wait to call and find out that I owe $536.79.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, just got off the phone with support. The rep said that this was an automated message that made it sound like I wouldn't get any credit for my phone turn-in, when in reality, I should get the full amount credited back. This message fired off when my bill went to print, even though Sprint Returns had my phone and was in the process of an evaluation.

I got my phone on launch day, and mailed it back the moment I got the return package from Sprint. This is going to scare the crap out of new customers.

• Like 6

Okay, just got off the phone with support. The rep said that this was an automated message that made it sound like I wouldn't get any credit for my phone turn-in, when in reality, I should get the full amount credited back. This message fired off when my bill went to print, even though Sprint Returns had my phone and was in the process of an evaluation.

I got my phone on launch day, and mailed it back the moment I got the return package from Sprint. This is going to scare the crap out of new customers.

And this is why I wish that wireless operators would get out of the consumer electronics business.  So much hassle.  Opportunity for complications or fraud runs rampant.

Over the last 2.5 years, none of my three handsets (Nexus 5, 2014 Moto X, 2015 Moto X) plus one pending handset (Nexus 5X) have I purchased through Sprint.  No subsidized upgrades.  No contract extensions.  No trade ins.

I know that many of you like the iPhone Forever idea.  But that should be on you -- not on Sprint or any other operator.  Buy your iPhone from a third party.  And if you want to upgrade every year, afford it.  Or sell your iPhone to a third party.

AJ

• Like 5

And this is why I wish that wireless operators would get out of the consumer electronics business. So much hassle. Opportunity for complications or fraud runs rampant.

Over the last 2.5 years, none of my three handsets (Nexus 5, 2014 Moto X, 2015 Moto X) plus one pending handset (Nexus 5X) have I purchased through Sprint. No subsidized upgrades. No contract extensions. No trade ins.

I know that many of you like the iPhone Forever idea. But that should be on you -- not on Sprint or any other operator. Buy your iPhone from a third party. And if you want to upgrade every year, afford it. Or sell your iPhone to a third party.

AJ

Up until this year, I paid full-freight for iPhones every year, and would turn around and sell them. Then I did the math and saw that the Forever plan was cheaper on a per-day basis, and I didn't have the hassle of selling on eBay or Swappa.

I suspect I'm not alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

And this is why I wish that wireless operators would get out of the consumer electronics business. So much hassle. Opportunity for complications or fraud runs rampant.

Over the last 2.5 years, none of my three handsets (Nexus 5, 2014 Moto X, 2015 Moto X) plus one pending handset (Nexus 5X) have I purchased through Sprint. No subsidized upgrades. No contract extensions. No trade ins.

I know that many of you like the iPhone Forever idea. But that should be on you -- not on Sprint or any other operator. Buy your iPhone from a third party. And if you want to upgrade every year, afford it. Or sell your iPhone to a third party.

AJ

I really like the idea of carriers not selling devices themselves, though for further reasons than AJ mentioned. I'd like to see far fewer stores, but like in the case of Sprint, wouldn't mind seeing Radio Shack selling devices, along with service and the other gadgets Radio Shack sells, while minimizing Sprint corporate stores.

The corporate stores there are, say one within 25 miles, is plenty. They could be downsized, only to deal with certain large-scale sales, while being a hub for Direct2You, which could sell services to people, along with selling a device which the driver/salesperson picked up at a nearby Radio Shack for these customers

I think by doing this streamlined, more efficient sales process would significantly help resolve much of Sprint's financial woes, while being unique and innovate that would help go towards improving Sprint's image and reputation.

Ouch. Logistics on these things must be a nightmare. I imagine they write off quite a bit that is just lost or mishandled. T-Mobile had the same issue with their program. They told lease customers NOT to return in the mail like their EIP upgrade program. But nobody at support or store knew what to do the first couple days.

Interesting that Sprint so far in 2H seems to be losing some momentum on RootMetrics.  I thought CA being activated would be improved some scores, but the last three markets posted have all been worse scores than in the 1H.  Maybe it's because of the 6 month period of ordering/planning for NGN?

Charolette, NC,

1H - 93.5

2H - 89.9

Pittsburgh, PA,

1H - 96.6

2H - 91.2

Seattle, WA,

1H - 95.4

2H - 95.2 (not that big of a drop.)

EDIT: The good thing is it must be from Sprint adding customers in these locations.  Perhaps Sprint's Q3 numbers will look really good.

• Like 2

Interesting that Sprint so far in 2H seems to be losing some momentum on RootMetrics.  I thought CA being activated would be improved some scores, but the last three markets posted have all been worse scores than in the 1H.  Maybe it's because of the 6 month period of ordering/planning for NGN?

Charolette, NC,

1H - 93.5

2H - 89.9

Pittsburgh, PA,

1H - 96.6

2H - 91.2

Seattle, WA,

1H - 95.4

EDIT: The good thing is it must be from Sprint adding customers in these locations.  Perhaps Sprint's Q3 numbers will look really good.

Some have already pointed out that CA became available after some of these markets were tested..

• Like 1

Interesting that Sprint so far in 2H seems to be losing some momentum on RootMetrics. I thought CA being activated would be improved some scores, but the last three markets posted have all been worse scores than in the 1H. Maybe it's because of the 6 month period of ordering/planning for NGN?

Charolette, NC,

1H - 93.5

2H - 89.9

Pittsburgh, PA,

1H - 96.6

2H - 91.2

Seattle, WA,

1H - 95.4

EDIT: The good thing is it must be from Sprint adding customers in these locations. Perhaps Sprint's Q3 numbers will look really good.

Agreed. Device-wise, it's a busy time for Sprint with iPhone Forever, and Sprint has been getting positive press for going all-in on iPhone 6s/6s Plus with a great offer/plan. However, as far as the network is concerned, it seems like we've entered a "quiet period" where it doesn't seem like much is happening on the surface.

Perhaps there's a lot going on behind the scenes we can't see (Project Ocean/Project Cedar, etc.), but as you said, these RootMetrics scores would hopefully show CA deployments or NGN progress.

Interesting that Sprint so far in 2H seems to be losing some momentum on RootMetrics. I thought CA being activated would be improved some scores, but the last three markets posted have all been worse scores than in the 1H. Maybe it's because of the 6 month period of ordering/planning for NGN?

Charolette, NC,

1H - 93.5

2H - 89.9

Pittsburgh, PA,

1H - 96.6

2H - 91.2

Seattle, WA,

1H - 95.4

EDIT: The good thing is it must be from Sprint adding customers in these locations. Perhaps Sprint's Q3 numbers will look really good.

It could be the devices that they are using.

Phones used during testing: AT&T - Galaxy S5 , Sprint - Galaxy Note Edge , T-Mobile - Galaxy Note 4 , Verizon - Galaxy S5

Does the note edge have CA?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It could be the devices that they are using.

Phones used during testing: AT&T - Galaxy S5 , Sprint - Galaxy Note Edge , T-Mobile - Galaxy Note 4 , Verizon - Galaxy S5

Does the note edge have CA?

Yes. And the T-Mobile device lacks Band 12 FWIW, which is a sticking point for Legere and Co....

Yes. And the T-Mobile device lacks Band 12 FWIW, which is a sticking point for Legere and Co....

That's true. Sprints biggest downfall in the rootmetrics testing is either network speed. When Sprint gets NGN rolling and get multi carrier band 41 activated Sprint should at least move up to second place overall.

The Note 4 for T-Mobile does have band 12.  Rootmetrics used the Galaxy S5 in the first half of 2015 which didn't have Band 12 but have now switched to the Note 4 for the second half of the year.

• Like 1

Charolette, NC,

1H - 93.5

2H - 89.9

Pittsburgh, PA,

1H - 96.6

2H - 91.2

Seattle, WA,

1H - 95.4

We're a weak market, but Sprint did worse than I expected. We have at least 70% of sites with B41 (and that's just the sites I'm able to spot easily; there are probably quite a few in the northern half of the city I don't know about). I was hoping the speed index would be a lot higher as a result. Maybe things would have been different if the tests had been done after the second carrier went live on most of our sites? Either way, Sprint has a lot of work to do here and I haven't seen any hardware work being done in months. That needs to change in 1H16 if not sooner. Sprint is the only carrier that hasn't added any macros in my area over the past 3 years. Verizon has added at least 5 and both AT&T and T-Mobile have added 2 each. And those were all entirely new leases for those carriers. One of the AT&T adds was a new monopole tower build. Sprint has it easy; they already have leases for over half of the non-Sprint towers here through Clearwire. They just need to take advantage of that.

• Like 3

This was posted in a reddit thread by an employee in the returns dept.  These are the guys you want to talk to.  They helped me out.

I'm with the team you would have spoke to about that, Returned Equipment Escalations. We do have to submit an Equipment Return Ticket to our back office team to contact the warehouse, but while that's happening, the ticket freezes the balance - it's on ice, and won't accrue any late fees, collections or impact the account negatively. It takes 2-4 business days, so if you haven't heard back from us by Friday, call us directly at 855-299-6151. If you have any further questions about the ERT ticket, you can ask me here.

And I agree, this process has not been smooth.  I had an over $600 balance on my bill before I even got the return kit.  Everything is good now and that dept helped out. 

• Like 1

I want GMO conversions instead of NGN. Still alot of GMOs in the testing area. The tunnels is a bunch of lawyers because Penndot only want one carrier doing the work.

I think just more B41 sites will honestly do the trick. CA is great, but it's really the amount of spectrum live on average in all areas (for example, Sprint will have 10Mhz of B25 + B26 whereas At&T/T-Mobile have 20+Mhz off the same site.)

I've looked at quite a few more markets that were tested in 2H and almost all of them have seen a decrease in performance. Definitely looks like they've halted upgrades in favor of the NGN plan.

I think just more B41 sites will honestly do the trick. CA is great, but it's really the amount of spectrum live in certain areas (for example, Sprint will have 10Mhz of B25 + B26 whereas At&T/T-Mobile have 20+Mhz off the same site.

I've looked at quite a few more markets that were tested in 2H and almost all of them have seen a decrease in performance. Definitely looks like they've halted upgrades in favor of the NGN plan.

Sent from my MotoG3

Halted upgrades? Why would Sprint have to do that?

How many times will this come up?? As Tim has said numerous times, Sprint places equipment orders 6 months in advance. They're coming to the end of this round of deployment, so there will be a lull in activity until the NGN order is fulfilled. Sprint's deployment plans haven't changed since these plans were in place at the beginning of the year.
  • Like 1

How many times will this come up?? As Tim has said numerous times, Sprint places equipment orders 6 months in advance. They're coming to the end of this round of deployment, so there will be a lull in activity until the NGN order is fulfilled. Sprint's deployment plans haven't changed since these plans were in place at the beginning of the year.

At the end of what deployment?

How much equipment was ordered? For what number of markets?

At the end of what deployment?

How much equipment was ordered? For what number of markets?

They're coming to the end of what was planned at the beginning of the year. NGN ramps up Q1 2016.

I have no idea.

The entire plan for deployment for almost the entire 2015 was marcelo prioritizing certain markets or regions for most deployments. Certain regions were given the Lions share of funding, equipment allocations, manpower, and all the good stuff while others (most other markets) only had equipment deployed in specific sites on a need to have basis and even then they did not touch most secondary and tertiary sites until mid 2015.

Right now we are coming to the end of this prioritization where they've filled out the secondary and tertiary markets and are now doing the chosen sites one by one across the nation as they need it. They were never ever going to deploy 2.5 on every single site possible everywhere as that was originally Hesse plan that was thrown out in 2014 and will only come back to play late this year and q1 2016.

Sprint orders and plans deployments approximately 6-9 months ahead. This is about industry standard from initial ordering to deployment.

With regards to the root metrics scores, it's a combination of numerous factors but the biggest one is the lack of consistency of the sprint network. There is absolutely no excuse why the hell there's so many damn holes still and why the much publicized lte 800 has not fixed them. Hell in most markets b26 is not any better than band 25 and the root metrics scores no doubt shows that.

Then there is the unfortunate fact that most 2nd carrier (both band 41 and a lot of b25)+CA markets started being fired up late August and early to mid September. Just a tad Too late and not widespread to affect the test scores. Data usage eats up 5-10 mhz of spectrum every 6 or so months so if you don't increase density or add more lte carriers... Scores are going down.

TLDR: The scores reflect on Sprints consistent lack of consistency in their network in the tested markets.

Sent from my LG-H790

• Like 16