Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

The Note 4 for T-Mobile does have band 12.  Rootmetrics used the Galaxy S5 in the first half of 2015 which didn't have Band 12 but have now switched to the Note 4 for the second half of the year.

Oops! Appreciate the correction.

There is absolutely no excuse why the hell there's so many damn holes still and why the much publicized lte 800 has not fixed them. Hell in most markets b26 is not any better than band 25 and the root metrics scores no doubt shows that.

Sent from my LG-H790

Why isn't B26 showing the results that was hyped?  B26 should have relatively similar coverage/performance as B17, B12, and B13.  I always say I believe it's the power output but that has been refuted numerous times the discussion has come up. 

Also, isn't that phone in your signature the new 5X?

How many times will this come up?? As Tim has said numerous times, Sprint places equipment orders 6 months in advance. They're coming to the end of this round of deployment, so there will be a lull in activity until the NGN order is fulfilled. Sprint's deployment plans haven't changed since these plans were in place at the beginning of the year.

I don't recall people bringing up RootMetrics scores that are decreasing for Sprint.  That is something I've just noticed, and is new since Sprint's been known for constantly improving service ie: #GettingBetterEveryDay.  The different here that stands out is the fact that network upgrades have come to a noticeable halt, and we were speculating what the cause is.

• Like 1

I don't recall people bringing up RootMetrics scores that are decreasing for Sprint.  That is something I've just noticed, and is new since Sprint's been known for constantly improving service ie: #GettingBetterEveryDay.  The different here that stands out is the fact that network upgrades have come to a noticeable halt, and we were speculating what the cause is.

The 2H 2015 RootMetrics market sample size is limited thus far.  Unless most market results have declined, we should not jump to conclusions so soon.  In the end of 2H 2015, if most results have declined, we have to look at all factors.  Is Sprint getting better but just not as fast or as much as its competitors?  Or are its competitors declining, too?  Are existing users consuming disproportionately greater resources on an improved Sprint network?  Has Sprint started acquiring positive net additions again?  Etc.  These are all factors not easily apparent in the RootMetrics results.

AJ

• Like 6

Tim is a young guy.  Probably premature phonelation.

AJ

• Like 5

With regards to the root metrics scores, it's a combination of numerous factors but the biggest one is the lack of consistency of the sprint network. There is absolutely no excuse why the hell there's so many damn holes still and why the much publicized lte 800 has not fixed them. Hell in most markets b26 is not any better than band 25 and the root metrics scores no doubt shows that.

Any idea why b26 isn't filling in those coverage holes? Could it be because they still have the power output turned down and not all sites are optimized yet? If this is the case, than I think that is where the NGN will come into play.

The entire plan for deployment for almost the entire 2015 was marcelo prioritizing certain markets or regions for most deployments. Certain regions were given the Lions share of funding, equipment allocations, manpower, and all the good stuff while others (most other markets) only had equipment deployed in specific sites on a need to have basis and even then they did not touch most secondary and tertiary sites until mid 2015.

Right now we are coming to the end of this prioritization where they've filled out the secondary and tertiary markets and are now doing the chosen sites one by one across the nation as they need it. They were never ever going to deploy 2.5 on every single site possible everywhere as that was originally Hesse plan that was thrown out in 2014 and will only come back to play late this year and q1 2016.

Sprint orders and plans deployments approximately 6-9 months ahead. This is about industry standard from initial ordering to deployment.

So is there going to be an improvement lull until this recent deployment is picked up on the 1H 2016 RootMetrics testing?

And as for NGN, sounds like that won't be reflected until the 2H 2016 or 1H 2017 RootMetrics scores at the earliest based on the 6-9 month timeframe you mentioned.

• Like 1

Any idea why b26 isn't filling in those coverage holes? Could it be because they still have the power output turned down and not all sites are optimized yet? If this is the case, than I think that is where the NGN will come into play.

In Feb. 2015, Saw said: "In addition, we now have 800MHz LTE on air across more than 60% of our LTE footprint" ... And "Our goal is to finish the 800MHz LTE build by the end of this year where rebanding is complete". (http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/sprints-network-gets-back-in-the-game.htm)

• Like 1

The 2H 2015 RootMetrics market sample size is limited thus far.  Unless most market results have declined, we should not jump to conclusions so soon.  In the end of 2H 2015, if most results have declined, we have to look at all factors.  Is Sprint getting better but just not as fast or as much as its competitors?  Or are its competitors declining, too?  Are existing users consuming disproportionately greater resources on an improved Sprint network?  Has Sprint started acquiring positive net additions again?  Etc.  These are all factors not easily apparent in the RootMetrics results.

AJ

Of the markets that's been tested, all but 2 have seen decreased performance.  Maybe it is the Galaxy Note Edge they're using on Sprint?

Improved Performance Markets,

Colorado Springs, CO

92.4 -> 96.1

New Orleans, LA

91.4 -> 92.6

Decreased Performance Markets,

Concord CA

94.3 -> 92.6

Las Vegas, NV

97.1 -> 92.8

Salt Lake City, UT

96.9 -> 96.7

Tucson, AZ

92.1 -> 90.5

Albuquerque, NM

91.1 -> 90.6

Denver, CO

94.9 -> 94.5

Omaha, NE

95.6 -> 93.6

Baton Rouge, LA

94.1 -> 91.6

Cincinnati, OH

96.2 -> 95.0

Dayton, OH

96.2 -> 91.2

Ann Arbor, MI

93.5 -> 90.5

Sarasota, FL

95.4 -> 93.1

Pittsburgh, PA

96.6 -> 91.2

Charolette, NC

93.5 -> 89.9

Charleston, SC

94.9 -> 91.8

Durham, NC

93.7 -> 89.8

Port St Lucie, FL

94.9 -> 94.8

Harrisburg, PA

96.3 -> 93.7

Scranton, PA

95.7 -> 90.7

Hampton Roads, VA

93.2 -> 90.0

Seattle, WA

95.4 -> 95.2

• Like 2

In Feb. 2015, Saw said: "In addition, we now have 800MHz LTE on air across more than 60% of our LTE footprint" ... And "Our goal is to finish the 800MHz LTE build by the end of this year where rebanding is complete". (http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/sprints-network-gets-back-in-the-game.htm)

That's right, I completely forgot he mentioned that. Thanks. Here is hoping they are close..  :fingers:

• Like 1

Why isn't B26 showing the results that was hyped?  B26 should have relatively similar coverage/performance as B17, B12, and B13.  I always say I believe it's the power output but that has been refuted numerous times the discussion has come up. 

Sprint engineers, as was explained to me, will not increase Band 26 cell coverages if increasing the coverage range detrimentally impacts the capacity of the B26 cell. In a lot of areas they cannot increase the Band 26 cell as it would completely collapse the Band 26 carrier in capacity (I would've thought they'd offload users from B26 more aggressively...). Just observe your own devices in regions with Band 26 and you will notice your devices will hardly be on Band 25 but it's almost always on Band 41 (if available) or 26 (if available). IMO devices should always be on Band 25/41 if available with people rarely seeing Band 26 unless absolutely needed but that is not the case in my observations. 

They probably can fix that by doing super aggressive offloading from Band 26 (no evidence of that) but Band 26 is operating as a capacity band in most regions so.... no dice I suppose. I assume this can be fixed by more Band 41 offloading users off both 25 and 26 so they can increase the range of B26 sectors without collapsing the LTE carrier due to congestion. 

TLDR: MORE SITE DENSITY NEEDED (or band 41)!

• Like 7

Of the markets that's been tested, all but 2 have seen decreased performance.  Maybe it is the Galaxy Note Edge they're using on Sprint?

Good work.  Nice data collation.

I will have further comment when I have more time later this afternoon.  And as much as I respect RootMetrics' methodology, its scale appears arbitrary and capricious, always pegged to 100, not truly comparable across different timeframes or markets.

AJ

• Like 2

Just observe your own devices in regions with Band 26 and you will notice your devices will hardly be on Band 25 but it's almost always on Band 41 (if available) or 26 (if available). IMO devices should always be on Band 25/41 if available with people rarely seeing Band 26 unless absolutely needed but that is not the case in my observations.

Maybe it varies by market but in Milwaukee I generally am on 25 or 41 unless I can only get 26. There have been a few sporting events where B41 is too weak and I'm parked on 25. When I would occasionally be on 26, speeds were much better.

I don't think we have any Note Edge users here on S4GRU to gauge performance. I think it was the first CA device on Sprint. Maybe it isn't working properly?

However, Sprint in the RM test scored first in speeds in Denver. So we can't just automatically blame it on the phone.

So far the test results show Sprint in far dead last in speeds in a number of markets :(

• Like 1

That's right, I completely forgot he mentioned that. Thanks. Here is hoping they are close..  :fingers:

Hoping they meet their target, but it may not be turned up it seems to prevent overloading until enough Band 41 is deployed.

Good work.  Nice data collation.

I will have further comment when I have more time later this afternoon.  And as much as I respect RootMetrics' methodology, its scale appears arbitrary and capricious, always pegged to 100, not truly comparable across different timeframes or markets.

AJ

I want to look at it a bit more too, but this was my suspicion of what was going on as well. Sprint's speed score here dropped 7.4 points despite the fact they were the only one of the 4 to have an increase in download speed (upload fell slightly in full-disclosure).

I'm curious why RootMetrics doesn't just use an Unlocked iPhone for measuring results across the 4 carriers. It would remove hardware variation as a contributing factor.

iOS doesn't give them enough to work with for data collection.
  • Like 6

We know that our phones still drop to 3G occasionally when they shouldn't.  I'm guessing RM doesn't look at the network indication, they just test.  They don't wait 5 minutes for a Sprint LTE signal to come back if it has dropped.

I'm curious why RootMetrics doesn't just use an Unlocked iPhone for measuring results across the 4 carriers. It would remove hardware variation as a contributing factor.

The 6 (newest iPhone available at the start of testing for this round) doesn't support Band 41 carrier aggregation on Sprint or T-Mobile Band 12. Not to mention they likely need an android device to get the data they need running their program.

• Like 4

The 6 (newest iPhone available at the start of testing for this round) doesn't support Band 41 carrier aggregation on Sprint or T-Mobile Band 12. Not to mention they likely need an android device to get the data they need running their program.

True. Seems like the iPhone 6s would be a good bet though: Band 12, CA, CCA compliant

http://www.lightreading.com/business-employment/customer-experience/the-woman-behind-sprints-chicago-shakeup-/d/d-id/717858

I know this article is a couple of months old, but really interesting.  Sorry if it has been posted already.

It is an interesting article. They need more of these managers nationwide. NYC/DC/LA would be a good follow-on to Chicago.

• Like 1