Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Sprint's new $70/month Unlimited Plan includes 3 GB of tethering and has a 23 GB usage threshold at which de-prioritization applies.

Full Details Here: http://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs_about_Sprint_60_Unlimited_Plan/e8bc59f3-1893-4482-895a-38b7ed69ab65#!/

Sprint's new Unlimited Family pricing is $70/month for first line and $60/month for lines 2-5.

EDIT: Per the FAQ you can have up to 10 lines on this plan. Perhaps the website only supports ordering a max of 5 lines?

• Like 8

Sprint's new $70/month Unlimited Plan includes 3 GB of tethering and has a 23 GB usage threshold at which de-prioritization applies.

Full Details Here: http://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs_about_Sprint_60_Unlimited_Plan/e8bc59f3-1893-4482-895a-38b7ed69ab65#!/

Sprint's new Unlimited Family pricing is $70/month for first line and $60/month for lines 2-5.

Good:  3 GB mobile hotspot is included

Bad:  Off-network roaming is limited to 100MB

• Like 2

It usually takes a while to find executives. It's not like Sprint will put the job on Monster.com and have a glut of applicants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally, yes. Yet, considering the history of Sprint's recent past Executive resignations, Sprint has announced replacements together, or actually I should say Softbank, since it seems these are people relating to them more than Sprint.

EDIT: Per the FAQ you can have up to 10 lines on this plan. Perhaps the website only supports ordering a max of 5 lines?

I'm totally fine with a 23GB threshold to de-prioritize ONLY in congested areas.  That sounds more than reasonable to me.

I also like the 3GB of tethering.  Wish it would have stayed at $60, but you can't have everything.  :-)

• Like 4

Not bad of a plan at all. More of an offering than my current my way plan but I think I'll hair stick with my current plan. But these plans are a sign of the condition of the network.

It isn't odd at all.

Perhaps in your opinion, it isn't. Although, I related how in the past, Sprint/Softbank announced replacements along when there were resignations, this one seems quite a bit different. It is odd considering that it hasn't followed that recent track record.

• Like 1

Geez, for an unlimited data family plan, with 5 lines, you're looking at 70 + 60 + 60 + 60 + 60 = $310, and this doesn't even cover device subsidy!!!  With a 5 person family plan, all with new phone leases, you're looking at over ~$440/month after taxes on Sprint.  The ED 1500 is roughly about ~$45-$50 per line, and include device subsidy.  The legacy customers should really feel good now for sticking around with Sprint this long.

• Like 8

Are there any other legacy holdover folks left?

While I can't answer that question since I don't know, you brought up an interesting issue I was thinking of when I made my comment of this being odd, since it seems this guy who resigned was on that old board for a short time, which is strange he wasn't immediately replaced by someone else as the past shows an almost "planned" aspect to the resignations.

• Like 1

Geez, for an unlimited data family plan, with 5 lines, you're looking at 70 + 60 + 60 + 60 + 60 = $310, and this doesn't even cover device subsidy!!! With a 5 person family plan, all with new phone leases, you're looking at over ~$440/month after taxes on Sprint. The ED 1500 is roughly about ~$45-$50 per line, and include device subsidy. The legacy customers should really feel good now for sticking around with Sprint this long.

I agree, Ascertion.

The Everything Data Plan is a great plan which these new plans are so much more expensive than, it really shows how much rates have increased.

What I'm wondering, though I certainly hope this does not happen, is if Sprint will raise the rates on the Everything Data Plan, similar to how Verizon raised rates on their unlimited data.

• Like 1

I agree, Ascertion.

The Everything Data Plan is a great plan which these new plans are so much more expensive than, it really shows how much rates have increased.

What I'm wondering, though I certainly hope this does not happen, is if Sprint will raise the rates on the Everything Data Plan, similar to how Verizon raised rates on their unlimited data.

If they did that, they would risk losing their most loyal customers. Sprint can't afford to do that.

• Like 5

If they did that, they would risk losing their most loyal customers. Sprint can't afford to do that.

Hopefully Sprint doesn't change it. Besides, I know of some people who are on lines belonging to the main account holder who really depend on this plan, considering the rates.

Surely there is an issue with overusage of data in ways which violate T.O.S., etc which need to be dealt with, and networks are being clogged by data. Yet, raising the rates so high actually is hurting people who are mid-range users, say around 10gb-15gb of data Monthly, who don't necessarily use that data for entertainment, but also can't afford the high overage rates in cheaper plans MVNOs offer.

• Like 1

I forgot to add in my prior response, from what I've read online there seems to be more people still on Everything Data with Sprint than there are on unlimited data with Verizon. So my comparison between them before wasn't exactly accurate to use in this situation.

Besides, Sprint isn't exactly in the best shape where they can afford to upset their loyal customers, which I acknowledge. Although I think Sprint ought to allow legacy customers to get on new promos, etc., as that has been a common complaint I've read online.

• Like 1

John Saw (Sprint CTO) just posted this: Protecting the 97%

This is a nice detail that shouldn't go unnoticed..

"Prioritization is applied or removed every 20 milliseconds. And performance for the affected customer returns to normal as soon as traffic on the cell site also returns to normal, or the customer moves to a non-constrained site."

• Like 2

This is a nice detail that shouldn't go unnoticed..

"Prioritization is applied or removed every 20 milliseconds. And performance for the affected customer returns to normal as soon as traffic on the cell site also returns to normal, or the customer moves to a non-constrained site."[/size]

Agreed. But this shouldn't last for the rest of the billing cycle. Someone using 23 GB in San Francisco has no localized effect on someone using 23 GB in Chicago. Having it apply for the remainder of the bill cycle means that even if someone travels to a new area without congestion, this de-prioritization tag follows them.

Agreed. But this shouldn't last for the rest of the billing cycle. Someone using 23 GB in San Francisco has no localized effect on someone using 23 GB in Chicago. Having it apply for the remainder of the bill cycle means that even if someone travels to a new area without congestion, this de-prioritization tag follows them.

If someone travels to a new area that's not congested, how and why would the de-priortization tag affect them?

• Like 2

Frankly, if a user is truly abusing the network, kick them off.  Make them suffer with Magenta.

And if they have a plan with phone subsidies, too, AJ will come and personally remove them! :)

bouncer-o.gif

AJ

• Like 2

I think this is an immensely fair way of network management. It shouldn't matter if you used 23 gigs in one location and then you are in another. You've utilized a lot of data on sprint's network and if you are on a busy site others who haven't consumed as much data should not see their experience suffer because of a small fraction of users (ps I am part of the three percent). It only applies to busy sites and times and only after you've consumed what is a large amount of data compared to others in the sprint user base.

• Like 5

If someone travels to a new area that's not congested, how and why would the de-priortization tag affect them?

Because it's for the remainder of the bill cycle and if a tower becomes congested, they're affected, even though their usage in that new location could be low.

Because it's for the remainder of the bill cycle.

That doesn't actually answer the question though. I'll rephrase slightly: If someone travels to a new area that's not congested, how and why would the de-priortization tag affect their service?

• Like 1