Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

imo Sprint is bloated, and Japan is infamous for pioneering lean business practices. this looks like a step to increase efficiency and profitability, not a sign of trouble..

I absolutely agree. This is fantastic. Their operating costs are way too high when compared to their other "big four" peers. I've helped turn around (much smaller!) businesses in this position before and cutting operating costs is one of the first steps that should be taken. They took too long to do it but it's still a great move on their part. Happy to be an investor in S. :)

• Like 3

See, my $.02 is this: why didn't Son hit the ground running with cost reductions? Think of all the money he could have put into the network with a much more efficient cost structure.

• Like 1

See, my $.02 is this: why didn't Son hit the ground running with cost reductions? Think of all the money he could have put into the network with a much more efficient cost structure.

Initial strategy was to merge with TMUS.  When that didn't pan house they needed to clean out all C-suite offices and find strong external leaders to do that sort of reform. It took time to do that, but they are moving pretty quick.

• Like 2

Initial strategy was to merge with TMUS. When that didn't pan house they needed to clean out all C-suite offices and find strong external leaders to do that sort of reform. It took time to do that, but they are moving pretty quick.

That was never going to happen until at least after the 600 MHz auction.

The stock is up ~5%, even after the news of the layoffs.  Maybe the investors like it.  Typically layoffs are usually bad, from the analysts point of view.

Unless, as is the case here, the company is seen to have higher than industry average/competitor operating costs. Then the outlook is generally more positive.

• Like 7

That was never going to happen until at least after the 600 MHz auction.

The goal for a merger pre-auction was that Sprint and T-Mobile would not compete against each other and waste money.  Once the merger outlook began to stall, Sprint and T-Mobile then explore joint bidding together before the FCC ruled that out.

• Like 1

The stock is up ~5%, even after the news of the layoffs.  Maybe the investors like it.  Typically layoffs are usually bad, from the analysts point of view.

I think it's usually the opposite. Stock price normally jumps somewhat at the news of layoffs

(not in every case, obviously. But usually.)

http://buzz.money.cnn.com/2013/10/01/layoffs-stocks/

http://money.stackexchange.com/questions/38856/why-is-it-that-stock-prices-for-a-company-seem-to-go-up-after-a-layoff

http://www.bankrate.com/financing/investing/do-layoffs-always-boost-stocks/

• Like 2

Someone over on the Sprint Reddit made mention that the new $70 Unlimited Plan comes with 3GB of hotspot data. Finally, something we've been asking for forever is finally being given to us! I guess that means that the $70 plan is now a better value overall.

I'm on board with that. Great add for another $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wish they would tack on that tethering option for unlimited plans.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

They did.  That's what happened with the new plan.  Unless you meant existing unlimited plans.

• Like 1

Existing plans yes.

The "unlimited" price went up $10.  You are not getting the tethering allotment unless you pay the extra freight.  No free lunch.

AJ

• Like 7

The option alone is great, if you want the tethering swap to a new plan. If you prefer your current contracts TOS then stay on it. So many plans, so little time....what shall everyone do?

The option alone is great, if you want the tethering swap to a new plan. If you prefer your current contracts TOS then stay on it. So many plans, so little time....what shall everyone do?

I'm on the unlimited family plan two phones for $100, don't think there is a better plan for me and my two lines.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That's cool sprint is adding tethering to their revamped unlimited plan. I'm on the unlimited my way since 2014. I like my plan but the tethering isn't enough for me to give up my plan even though it's $10 cheaper. When I switched to T-Mobile in 2013 because Sprints network I couldn't deal with, I didn't even use the tethering on my plan. I tried it out but I didn't have any real use for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A little off topic, but hopefully this is okay here. My sister currently has an iPhone 6 lease which expires in December. She wanted to upgrade to the Galaxy S6 Edge and was willing to pay the remaining lease payments.

On MySprint there is some sort of option where you can add a "delegate" who is suopposed to be able to add Easy Pay or Lease phones to an account at the store without the account holder being present. Said they only needed to be over 18 and show photo ID.

We go to the Sprint store, without the account holder, and they basically had NO idea what we were taalking about, even after showing a screen shot of the webpage. They insisted her name was not listed on the account and the only way we could proceed was to have the account holder call Customer Care and add her as an authorized person. We ended up leaving because it just seemed so ridiculous, and the girl was pretty rude about it.

Why have this option on the website if they don't honor it? Anyone else experience something similar?

• Like 1

A little off topic, but hopefully this is okay here. My sister currently has an iPhone 6 lease which expires in December. She wanted to upgrade to the Galaxy S6 Edge and was willing to pay the remaining lease payments.

On MySprint there is some sort of option where you can add a "delegate" who is suopposed to be able to add Easy Pay or Lease phones to an account at the store without the account holder being present. Said they only needed to be over 18 and show photo ID.

We go to the Sprint store, without the account holder, and they basically had NO idea what we were taalking about, even after showing a screen shot of the webpage. They insisted her name was not listed on the account and the only way we could proceed was to have the account holder call Customer Care and add her as an authorized person. We ended up leaving because it just seemed so ridiculous, and the girl was pretty rude about it.

Why have this option on the website if they don't honor it? Anyone else experience something similar?

this is a new program, much like all of sprint lately, new programs for leases phone trade in easy pay new plans, loyalty discounts, and the list goes on and on... chances are she truly had no clue what this is, most sprint customer service reps are under trained and this flood of new rules, pricing and promotions is not helping, this is well documented problem with sprint.  chances are you know more about sprints new policies and plans than she does.  honestly i recommend people reach out to the ceo help line, use twitter tweet sprint care and marcello, say you want a pone call.  that team is prompt and professional, they can arrange an in store pick up, with min interaction with the store reps, then correct your account after you leave the store. trusting the store reps is a very hit and miss experience....             

• Like 1

This is a great point about Sprint store reps, mrknowitall526 (though I know not likely your intent). I'm lucky enough to have two pretty good Sprint corporate stores near me, but the others I've been to are terrible. In general (I know I'm making a blanket statement that is not true in 100% of cases), Sprint retail employees are simply horrible. That's why the news of cost cuts excites me....I think it's going to light a fire. There are still many unemployed people in this country who would thrive and excel as employees of Sprint retail - I'm hoping that with talk of cost cuts existing store employees have been put on notice to shape up or ship out!

• Like 4