Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I'm not sure where you're getting that from, I stream 1080p video on Verizon just fine. There isn't anything I can say that hasn't already been mentioned by other members. #AllInDOA

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I figured it would be odd for Verizon to block higher quality YouTube content. Good to know they don't, especially since I'll be getting Verizon as soon as the Sony Xperia Z4v is available for purchase..

I figured it would be odd for Verizon to block higher quality YouTube content. Good to know they don't, especially since I'll be getting Verizon as soon as the Sony Xperia Z4v is available for purchase..

It would be nice for Sprint to offer a unique phone like a Sony.  Sharp was one example but that was a middle of the road phone.

It's not like they implemented this throttle to old plans or current plans.

If they ever did, that would be the tipping point for a lot of subs.

• Like 1

If Sprint really needed/wanted a throttle on video speed, HD video needs a minimum of 3mbps, which also is the rate flac audio seems to play best on, minimum.

No, that is baloney.  Coincidentally enough, FLAC averages about 600 kbps for CD quality (16 bit 44.1 kHz) -- the de facto standard.  And because FLAC is variable rate, lossless compression, it sometimes runs far less than 600 kbps.  So, if you need 3 Mbps to stream FLAC, then something is wrong.  You are not really getting 3 Mbps, the server is not maintaining a consistent stream, or your device is malfunctioning.

Either way, I say that mobile streaming FLAC is irresponsible.  No one needs lossless quality on their little handsets with their little earbuds or headphones.  For mobile streaming, stick with fixed rate or max rate 128-256 Kbps AAC, Vorbis, MP3, etc.  That is far more amenable to streaming.  And you cannot tell the difference.  If you tell me that you can hear the difference, then you better have personal ABX tests to back that up.

AJ

• Like 8

No, that is baloney. Coincidentally enough, FLAC averages about 600 kbps for CD quality (16 bit 44.1 kHz) -- the de facto standard. And because FLAC is variable rate, lossless compression, it sometimes runs far less than 600 kbps. So, if you need 3 Mbps to stream FLAC, then something is wrong. You are not really getting 3 Mbps, the server is not maintaining a consistent stream, or your device is malfunctioning.

FLAC can peak up to 1000-2000kbps depending on the complexity of the music. Still, that wouldn't be for long periods of time and you most definitely don't need 3Mbps
  • Like 2

If they ever did, that would be the tipping point for a lot of subs.

I do get that Sprint is trying to discourage people from using Netflix, YouTube and other video services, but there has to be a better way to do this.
  • Like 2

FLAC can peak up to 1000-2000kbps depending on the complexity of the music. Still, that wouldn't be for long periods of time and you most definitely don't need 3Mbps

For stereo 16 bit 44.1 kHz audio, the constant bit rate is 1411.2 kbps.  As such, FLAC should never peak over 1.5 Mbps.  And even that should be quite rare.  Otherwise, FLAC actually is increasing, not decreasing the bit rate.  If such instances occur, FLAC should switch to no compression for those frames, as no compression actually would be more efficient.

Plus, a 3-5 second streaming buffer should even out any bit rate peaks.  And if you cannot put up with a 3-5 second buffer, then you have a severe first world problem that requires immediate hospitalization.

AJ

No, that is baloney. Coincidentally enough, FLAC averages about 600 kbps for CD quality (16 bit 44.1 kHz) -- the de facto standard. And because FLAC is variable rate, lossless compression, it sometimes runs far less than 600 kbps. So, if you need 3 Mbps to stream FLAC, then something is wrong. You are not really getting 3 Mbps, the server is not maintaining a consistent stream, or your device is malfunctioning.

Either way, I say that mobile streaming FLAC is irresponsible. No one needs lossless quality on their little handsets with their little earbuds or headphones. For mobile streaming, stick with fixed rate or max rate 128-256 Kbps AAC, Vorbis, MP3, etc. That is far more amenable to streaming. And you cannot tell the difference. If you tell me that you can hear the difference, then you better have personal ABX tests to back that up.

AJ

I wasn't doing an exact minimum speed just for Flac, but a safe minimum a listener will definitely get a buffer-free experience from, which 3mbps will definitely do it.

Also, 3mbps is a minimum for HD video, so if Sprint wanted to have a good minimum workable download speed number that would both provide its subscribers enough spped for streaming, yet still help manage their network traffic appropriately, as they seem to be wanting to do with its current speed cap.

I'm not, nor am I trying to make a case here for Flac. It is what Tidal offers its customers, and if anyone has a problem with its usage streaming on mobile devices, take that out on Tidal, not on me, and not on other Tidal customers.

I'm not, nor am I trying to make a case here for Flac. It is what Tidal offers its customers, and if anyone has a problem with its usage streaming on mobile devices, take that out on Tidal, not on me, and not on other Tidal customers.

No, people have a choice.  Do or do not use Tidal while mobile.  Own up to responsibility for that choice.

The whole "if it is possible, then it is okay or even necessary for me to do" attitude among people is the crux of the problem that has come to the forefront today.

AJ

• Like 3

Darn, people fail to forget what all that beautiful full video that people were streaming to there iPads during march madness when the iPad LTE came out and how fast they went thru there data. In a couple of hours, they consumed 5gb and yes you could call them bandwidth hogs. That's what it sounds like what some of you want to do but on a unlimited factor. Like I said earlier, dammed if you do, damned if you don't. Can't have it both ways. Not like your streaming to a 55 inch 4k tv or are you?

• Like 1

I'm not too familiar with tidal, but when I was looking at it I remember seeing the ability to change the bit rate. Why not use something more reasonable while mobile? I haven't seen a pair of headphones that I would wear while out and about that I could even hear the difference in quality.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Also, 3mbps is a minimum for HD video, so if Sprint wanted to have a good minimum workable download speed number that would both provide its subscribers enough spped for streaming, yet still help manage their network traffic appropriately, as they seem to be wanting to do with its current speed cap.

If Sprint set a maximum of 3 Mbps for video, then it would defeat the entire purpose of having bandwidth limits to begin with.

That's like saying "Don't blame me for shooting you...blame the gun manufacturer. They created the gun"

It's all about responsible network usage.

• Like 1

I'm not too familiar with tidal, but when I was looking at it I remember seeing the ability to change the bit rate. Why not use something more reasonable while mobile? I haven't seen a pair of headphones that I would wear while out and about that I could even hear the difference in quality.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I cancelled Tidal yesterday, due to cost. The account was at the end of the month, and I decided for me, it wasn't worth keeping anymore, as I also have a $4.99 monthly account with Deezer for 320k mp3, which I'll keep until Deezer's Flac exclusive with Sonos ends, hoping Deezer will then offer Flac as an option for all subscribers.

I use a Belkin car audio Bluetooth connection for car speakers, which Flac sounded better to me than compressed mp3. That is, in the car's speaker system my mother's car has. Simpler audio devices that don't produce a difference between Flac and mp3, such as listening through a smartphone's speakers, it would be better on the network not to take advantage of something that is not going to give an audio quality difference, yet be taxing to the network.

However, if there is an audio setup a person has where Flac does produce a difference, then it is worth using. I ended up using around 8gb per month of Tidal during the few months I had it, so essentially I wasn't abusing the network with it. I can see how others might though, which is where mobile carriers and content providers should work out these usage issues. For some reason though, they encourage its use more than not.

As exampled, T-Mobile offers Tidal as part of their Music Freedom program. If they wanted to, they could limit that to the lesser, non-Flac service. Yet, they don't.

• Like 1

If Sprint set a maximum of 3 Mbps for video, then it would defeat the entire purpose of having bandwidth limits to begin with.

That's like saying "Don't blame me for shooting you...blame the gun manufacturer. They created the gun"

It's all about responsible network usage.

Personally, I don't like these usage type-specific bandwidth limits, though if Sprint is going to have one, they could at least have it be at a useable rate. Many here have differing opinions as to what that rate could be. I'm thinking 3mbps would be sufficient, even though it would be better not to have a rate at all.

Regarding network usage, everyone has different opinions about this issue, which ultimately the carriers are going to need to decide on, as they are the providers. I think my monthly 10-15gb usage is fine and acceptable, which my current provider, T-Mobile seems to agree with, since I use well under 21gb monthly.

Im curious about the last plan with the 1mbs video streaming limit. Has anyone actually experienced this? Also curious to know what apps were affected and how did you verify the throttle?

When I switched to the family share pack, back in October. They had a one megabyte per second limit on video during peak times and tower congestion but I've never have not experienced it personall.y It's always been active even when there's been more than enough bandwidth available. This is mostly on Netflix in my use when at work on break times. Or general testing at home to see if I would be throttled to that locked speed. One reason I had to upgrade from my one max at the time is that it had a bug where it couldn't stream low quality video without the audio coming out of sync and I called sprint about it and they couldn't do anything. One max still hasn't been updated to fix that issue as far as I know.

@marceloclaure: We heard you loud and clear and we are removing the 600 kbps on streaming video. #Allin and we won't stop

m.twitter.com/marceloclaure

Sent from my LGLS990

Just noticed it's already posted...I also sent a tweet to him from my Twitter, which Sprint care follows me so I tagged both

• Like 1

So moving forward on plans with just regular data allotments that are not unlimited. Will the cap remain? Or will they retroactively remove it.

No more video throttles at all...per Marcelo

@marceloclaure: @nexgencpu sorry to have let you down. Was sleeping in Tokyo and when I found out took immediate action. No more limits on streaming video

• Like 2