Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

To clarify. ..is the stream throttle only for new plans or will this affect everyone regardless? I currently have the 2 for 100 unlimited plan since the day it became available.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I'm not even sure if 600 can stream 480p. They should go the Verizon route and instead of a set throttle just kill the options for streaming above 480p. Much more subtle and devious.

73e47f15f4ab75ab9aea9a879bd7dab8.jpg

According to Netflix, that's enough for the lowest setting. I think they get as low as 240p.

Sent from my M8

• Like 1

When a customer sees a carrier rated number 1 or 2 for network quality they seem to put up more with the carriers bs. So if in the case Sprint actually does become number 1 or 2 in network quality in 18-24 months and still have that 600kbps streaming limit. Some won't care cause the network is top ranked and in Sprints cause at a cheaper cost. But with that cost you get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm not even sure if 600 can stream 480p. They should go the Verizon route and instead of a set throttle just kill the options for streaming above 480p. Much more subtle and devious.

According to YouTube, 600Kbps is only sufficient for 240p. It can't even handle the default 360p used in Sprint's YouTube channel...which is slightly ironic. Lol.

• Like 4

To clarify. ..is the stream throttle only for new plans or will this affect everyone regardless? I currently have the 2 for 100 unlimited plan since the day it became available.

I believe on your plan, it can be throttled to 1mbps for videos, but I don't think it's enforced unless it's under specific circumstances.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that the legacy plans are unaffected.

And even if legacy plans aren't effected today, I wouldn't be quick to assume that will continue indefinitely.

Previous "network load reduction" changes have sometimes hit legacy plans (such as the double compressing of images).

Yes, Sprint may change their existing plans. Just like Tmo may change their existing plans. Any carrier might change their existing plans. You're just trying to stir the pot.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

I believe on your plan, it can be throttled to 1mbps for videos, but I don't think it's enforced unless it's under specific circumstances.

How do I check? Do need to call? I changed plans over the phone.

I found the info on back of promo letter over a month ago. Its states "other plans may recieve prioritized bandwidth availability. Streaming video speeds may be limited to 1 mbps."

Is this what sprint eliminated when they said they would follow net neutrality and end throttling?

Saying streaming is limited "at all times" seems to be the only lawsuit proof way of throttling after net neutrality.

Side note: Is 600kb/s video streaming really bad (when everything else is on the screen is downloading at Mb/s)...has anyone tried it? 

Sprint knows what position they are in...it would seem silly to purposefully degrade network quality when it is showing so much improvement.

There must have been internal testing prior to making this announcement. 

• Like 1

Just streamed youtube at 1440p just to be certain. Streamed without a hitch..phew!.. LOL

No wonder my lights flickered.  :lol:

Holy moly!

• Like 3

It's not new...

$50 iPhone unlimited plan

$20 iPhone 6

Now I'm all for making profits. But don't say hey new mind blowing plan

T-MOBILE unlimited plan is $80 too but you'll need to pony up $15-28 more! So that's value here at sprint.

But with T-Mobile you get 7gb teathering, and free swap of phone 3 times a year...

Options are good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yet another plan which is not an improvement.

vs

+ $50 unlimited iphone plan

+ $20 iphone6/16 *and keep it*

• Like 4

I found the info on back of promo letter over a month ago. Its states "other plans may recieve prioritized bandwidth availability. Streaming video speeds may be limited to 1 mbps."

Is this what sprint eliminated when they said they would follow net neutrality and end throttling?

Yes.  And now Sprint, in an effort to treat all traffic equally, is imposing 600kbps streaming limitations on new plans.  Unintended consequences?

• Like 2

Yet another plan which is not an improvement.

vs

+ $50 unlimited iphone plan

+ $20 iphone6/16 *and keep it*

Sprint's increasing prices and removing features, while T-Mobile is adding features.  As stated, legacy customers aren't affected *yet*, but Sprint's really shooting themselves in the foot with these new plans that they hype, all while removing their better, cheaper alternatives.

• Like 5

Marcelo has got a lemon of a plan, here.  It's blowing up before he can even get back stateside.  This one is DOA.  The tech media is going to eat him alive.  

We are now going to see how nimble Sprint can be with fast changes.  Because this one is going to go over worse than Framily.

Fix it!  Fix it!  Fix it!  Fix it!

• Like 13

Marcelo has got a lemon of a plan, here.  It's blowing up before he can even get back stateside.  This one is DOA.  The tech media is going to eat him alive.  

We are now going to see how nimble Sprint can be with fast changes.  Because this one is going to go over worse than Framily.

To be fair, they made fun of Framily, but the reason it's not longer offered is that it was too successful.  Too many people got to that magic 7 number. 

• Like 4

I totally agree, damage control is in order! 

If the site is congested, it would be totally fine to do this, but "at all times" is pretty extreme and will not bold well with the media.

• Like 6

There's no way I'm leaving my ED1500 plan now.

I'm going to use the loyalty credit they are offering (which I'd lose strangely enough if I left ED1500) on my last 2 GS3 lines and bump them to GS5s and ride it out for the next 24 months and see where the network is at.

What's funny is that I remember the old EVO when I got it an people were like "no way I'd watch videos on a phone, it's too small" and now it's a defacto standard media device where people are watching so much video that it's causing all this uproar.

• Like 5