Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

Sprint stock still getting hammered today.  The market now believes Sprint is worth $1 billion less than T-Mobile US.

Yeah, because T-Mobile still has an offer from Illiad and possibly other companies are interested and is thus fairly stable for now while Sprint not only canceled the merger but also replaced their CEO. Not that I necessarily agree with the negative outlook for Sprint but I did feel that a merger with T-Mobile was the quickest and easiest way for them to catapult forward.

• Like 2

But the app preloading songs should be useful in that regard. When I'm on Google Play Music, I can drop to legacy 3G and the song will keep playing because my device already loaded it.

Oh, trust me, I have upwards of 14gb of music cached, I'm no stranger to that and I love it :D

The market now believes Sprint is worth $1 billion less than T-Mobile US.

I wouldn't read that much into it. More likely, investors weren't pleased with Masa's comments on the Softbank earning call about aggressive pricing (great for consumers, not so much for investors). As Cletus said, T-Mobile has a bit of an artificial price floor right now with the Iliad bid on the table.

At the time, TMobile was at 33 a share in which Sprint was willing to pay 40 a share, than comes Illiad offering 33 a share, than sprint back out, TMobile dropped to 30 a share, and is currently now sitting at 29.82 a share

The ICC-200 was supposed to help reduce traffic on 495. Thus helping the bypass for 95. But, hardly anyone uses the ICC because it has a ridiculous toll lol

What I'm really curious about now is Comcast. A friend of mine that has worked for Comcast for a long time tells me that they are actually planning to return to the wireless biz, which is something I doubt. I'm interested to see how that unfolds along with the changes at Sprint and T-Mobile. Maybe Verizon and AT&T will finally have a run for their money in 2015-2016.

Comcast is supposed to be firing up a WiFi/cellular network.... As soon as they get enough of their wireless routers out.

Initially they will be using vzw.

Keep your eye on Dish now that T-Mobile is out of the picture. I don't foresee carrier aggregation beyond 3 20Mhz channels. In suburban/rural areas, they don't even need that. Dish/Sprint can use the leftover spectrum for fixed wireless/VOD. In urban/suburban they can use it for OTT video. Dish has been working on OTT video licenses since the beginning of the year. That is where the play will be. There will be some interesting horse trading of spectrum for spectrum and spectrum for network access/revenue sharing. Both Son and Charlie Ergen are very shrewd businessmen. They will get it done.

• Like 2

Keep your eye on Dish now that T-Mobile is out of the picture. I don't foresee carrier aggregation beyond 3 20Mhz channels. In suburban/rural areas, they don't even need that. Dish/Sprint can use the leftover spectrum for fixed wireless/VOD. In urban/suburban they can use it for OTT video. Dish has been working on OTT video licenses since the beginning of the year. That is where the play will be. There will be some interesting horse trading of spectrum for spectrum and spectrum for network access/revenue sharing. Both Son and Charlie Ergen are very shrewd businessmen. They will get it done.

If Son bought Dish - it would allow Sprint to be more equal to att and vzw.

But I don't see it. But would welcome it.

• Like 5

I don't think masa would want to get into the television business

Agreed

But in the market place of deep discounts on triple play deals - it may need to happen in the distant future.

Not to mention Dish ' s new over the top (Internet tv) it may be a nice fit.

I certainly don't agree Sprint has to hit certain data speed in order not to upset customers. What they need is usable data which is 1M~2Mbps. Those who try to test data speed every day are not the group to make Sprint recover financially. Nothing against those speedtest fans but just try to say most customers don't do that instead of caring if they can open webpage/email/app in acceptable time.

The problem is that alot of customers see the marketing/advertising being fed to them by other carriers and media outlets as what is needed when in reality they don't need 23mb download speeds. 

"He looks just like a street fighter or a bandit," said Mr. Son, pointing to a photo of the Bolivian billionaire and founder of mobile phone distributor Brightstar Corp.

:hmm:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/sprint-purchase-shrinks-softbank-net-profit-1407483154

I still don't know how to take that statement as many times as i read the original comments. Whats wrong with being a street fighter or a bandit for that matter. Anything is better than being a Legere.

Off-topic

what is it with Masa and big tall guys? Granted he is small so anyone would be tall but still, Hesse was over 6 feet and Marcelo is also. It's like talking to a belly button. lol

TS

• Like 5

I still don't know how to take that statement as many times as i read the original comments. Whats wrong with being a street fighter or a bandit for that matter. Anything is better than being a Legere.

I think the comment is something like, this guy is not going to go down without a fight type of comment. A bandit isn't someone that typically gives up very easy, nor would one assume  a street fighter gives up easily. I think he actually meant it as a compliment and to show that Masa and Sprint have changed their game plan. There here to kick ass and it doesn't matter what it takes to get it done.

what is it with Masa and big tall guys? Granted he is small so anyone would be tall but still, Hesse was over 6 feet and Marcelo is also. It's like talking to a belly button. lol

A power thing? 

• Like 1

Glad someone else was watching. Lol

That guy (and Legere) is a douche canoe.

I always enjoy making new insults at deserving individuals, and he is more of a Douche-craft-carrier! lol 

I once streamed music on I-95 for about 10 hrs straight on Sprint :)

To save our sanity on our last trip to NC & Myrtle, I actually streamed YouTube of children's shows for my 1yr old almost the whole way from Pittsburgh! It was the only way we were able to make it, he had never been in his car seat for more than an hour.  Anyway, the network can handle more than just streaming music, and the few areas it wasn't smooth are areas I know had very little NV progress like southern VA.  

Unless I'm reading this wrong... I like it. Can't imagine that it would be long before changes happen. Other wise wouldn't people wait in signing up?

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/With-Hesse-Out-Sprint-Hints-at-a-Price-War-130003

I hope it happens soon because T-Mobile's new family plan is very tempting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I hope it happens soon because T-Mobile's new family plan is very tempting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yes it is... but I only need 2 lines. And they don't give 2.5gb unless you have 4 or 5 lines. :-(

Stopped at my local non corporate store... and they said nothing really changed except data speeds are higher in the 20 ' s now vs 2-5 mbps. But towers still not working and weekly outages of lte to only 3g which is still sub 500kbps :-(

They said the 800 towers are not lte and won't be till early 2015.

So unfortunately I have to stay with Verizon double sad faces.

If Illiad drops out, then you'll see reality get reflected in TMUS stock. I believe the actual value of it if the price isn't inflated would be around $25 billion.

• Like 1

Stopped at my local non corporate store... and they said nothing really changed except data speeds are higher in the 20 ' s now vs 2-5 mbps. But towers still not working and weekly outages of lte to only 3g which is still sub 500kbps :-(

500kbs 3g? Damn I'd kill for that, my home is 3g only on two non upgraded towers and I'm lucky to see 50-100 at off peak hours (dead of night) lol.
  • Like 2

You're a Premier Sponsor. Have a look at the maps in your area and make your own assumption based off the info already available to you for your area. I wouldn't trust anything a non-corporate store (or corporate store) tells you.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

• Like 7

You're a Premier Sponsor. Have a look at the maps in your area and make your own assumption based off the info already available to you for your area. I wouldn't trust anything a non-corporate store (or corporate store) tells you.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

I have many times... my area has had failed towers for the past 3+ years. Occurs weekly on a bad cycle and every 3 weeks on a good cycle. So what he is saying does click.

Per the map in premier all but one tower on NV and of those all 800/3g/lte.

• Like 2