Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

Not sure if sarcasm...

Honestly, I am not sure either. Legere is just such a "maverick."

AJ

• Like 1

You should let John Legere know. He will probably show you the bottom.

giphy.gif

AJ

Futurestock. One of the best Futurama episodes of all time. "They're afraid of our raw power!"

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I have been perusing a lot of the wireless websites and besides the rabid magentans, the rest of the comments have been pretty sanguine about the possibility of a price war eroding the abilities of US carriers to invest in infrastructure. Some people are saying that regulatory objections may have done the industry a disservice.

• Like 3

I have been perusing a lot of the wireless websites and besides the rabid magentans, the rest of the comments have been pretty sanguine about the possibility of a price war eroding the abilities of US carriers to invest in infrastructure. Some people are saying that regulatory objections may have done the industry a disservice.

Look at Howard Forums and Milan. I keep telling him that a price war is only going to hurt the smaller two. Has VZW or AT&T really budged? Judging by their profit margins, I would say no.

ezevaqun.jpg

• Like 3

he is right about not competing on price. It's a mantra of David Ogilvy not to chase low prices and giveaways and rock bottom sales because it gets the consumer used to it so they start to expect it. The retail industry, TV manufacturers specifically learned that the hard way. And that is the reason why Verizon especially is resisting price cuts, though also because of effect that would have financially which has $130b in debt and bunch of other debt off the books waiting to be realized. 

However, both Verizon and AT&T are shedding around 1,000,000 subs per quarter, T-Mobile is scooping some of it up and poisoning the well so to speak, with Sprint about to join in.

Similar thing happened to TV set manufacturers. Vizio, and other dodgy brands, showed up with rock bottom pricing, and after a couple of years of price cuts put the screws on TV makers like Sony and other higher priced brands, some of whom are barely surviving today. 

With low-band spectrum on Sprint and T-Mobile a lot of the coverage issues with penetration will be fixed, and then anyone who wants to switch away from at&t or Verizon would have little if any reasons not to do it. 

Does Tmo count the iPhone test drives as new subscribers? I assume all of the test drives are numbers. How are they counting those?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

of course not

Edited by jbom
  • Like 2

Excellent and thought-provoking analysis. We all should try to cut through our emotional boosterism and look at the economic realities of the current cell-phone environment, as the article's author does. While I have been a Sprint user (and, quite candidly, vocal proponent) since the last century, the fact is that Sprint does not have an emotional attachment to ME, and will do what is best for Sprint. As will TMo for TMo, ATT for ATT, and Verizon for Verizon. While I personally hope Sprint succeeds, real-world business and regulatory realities will define that result, not my boosterism nor incessant trolling and insults from a bunch of Magenta fanbois.

My $0.02.

• Like 5

meh there won't be a price war. Prices are already low, for those on family plans on T-Mobile at $20/line. Even France's Free Mobile that everyone is going so gaga over, charges about $30 per line, except they offer 20GB data. As a European, I know they're most "revolutionary" because of the American-style pricing - dumbed down and simple vs the usual myriad of plan choices. I think if anything, we'll see more data included in the plans rather than lower prices, just the illusion of.

Lack of infrastructure investment would be the least of Verizon's (and to an extent AT&T's) problems if it had to come on down and slash pricing to match T-Mobile and Sprint.

At the end of 2013 Verizon had $235 billion in liabilities not including the $106.1 billion in goodwill and intangible assets, which if included bring Red's total liabilities to around $341,443,000,000. Its tangible book value was -$65 billion in 2012, I think it's gotten worse since then, but it is a dividend paying stock, and they repurchase shares so investors like it

Edited by jbom

meh there won't be a price war. Prices are already low, for those on family plans on T-Mobile at $20/line. Even France's Free Mobile that everyone is going so gaga over, charges about $30 per line, except they offer 20GB data. As a European, I know they're most "revolutionary" because of the American-style pricing - dumbed down and simple vs the usual myriad of plan choices. I think if anything, we'll see more data included in the plans rather than lower prices, just the illusion of.

Lack of infrastructure investment would be the least of Verizon's (and to an extent AT&T's) problems if it had to come on down and slash pricing to match T-Mobile and Sprint.

At the end of 2013 Verizon had $235 billion in liabilities not including the $106.1 billion in goodwill and intangible assets, which if included bring Red's total liabilities to around $341,443,000,000. Its tangible book value was -$65 billion in 2012, I think it's gotten worse since then, but it is a dividend paying stock, and they repurchase shares so investors like it

Actually T-Mobile's plans are at $25/user. I am assuming you are talking about the 4 line 2.5GB/line plan. If Sprint also offers a $100/month 12GB truly shared plan with $25/additional line and 3GB per line extra added to the plan I think that would be competitive. They also have to have something compelling on the 1, 2 and 3 line plans. Offer 30 day try out plan.

Advertise the plan heavily where they have a good network, Chicago or NYC?

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

Excellent and thought-provoking analysis. We all should try to cut through our emotional boosterism and look at the economic realities of the current cell-phone environment, as the article's author does. While I have been a Sprint user (and, quite candidly, vocal proponent) since the last century, the fact is that Sprint does not have an emotional attachment to ME, and will do what is best for Sprint. As will TMo for TMo, ATT for ATT, and Verizon for Verizon. While I personally hope Sprint succeeds, real-world business and regulatory realities will define that result, not my boosterism nor incessant trolling and insults from a bunch of Magenta fanbois.

My $0.02.

Lol, Tmo makes its customers "feel" like they ARE fighting for them.. That's basically what's behind the "uncarrier" movement. With the quality/price of their network in most urban areas its easy to see why so many are jumping...

Every time I go into the store, it seems to be young energetic people working who "believe" they are part of something special.. When I enter the sprint its definitely a more calm, like "whatever" feeling, not bad just not energetic. Vzw on the other hand has more like an upscale feeling, everyone is in suits and ties...

Sprint still has a long way to go.

I would love to pay less a month, I know as soon as vzw/att drop prices a little that will hurt sprint/tmos growth. Hopefully sprint will acquire some of the small guys then possibly something with dish... Merger,spectrum swap..

From an earlier article endorsing the T-Mobile/Sprint merger:

As such, I wonder if Masayoshi Son’s big vision goes beyond just combining these two carriers and includes an acquisition (or two) of wireline assets too, so as to create a true rival to AT&T and Verizon. Centurylink would be the obvious property to go after there, with a significant footprint across much of the middle of the United States, and a growing presence in enterprise services too. A Sprint-T-Mobile-Centurylink merger with significant backing from SoftBank could be really powerful.

http://www.beyonddevic.es/2013/12/13/why-sprint-t-mobile-makes-sense/

Edited by bigsnake49

Lol, Tmo makes its customers "feel" like they ARE fighting for them.. That's basically what's behind the "uncarrier" movement. With the quality/price of their network in most urban areas its easy to see why so many are jumping...

Every time I go into the store, it seems to be young energetic people working who "believe" they are part of something special.. When I enter the sprint its definitely a more calm, like "whatever" feeling, not bad just not energetic. Vzw on the other hand has more like an upscale feeling, everyone is in suits and ties...

Who has more attractive employees?

• Like 1

From an earlier article endorsing the T-Mobile/Sprint merger:

As such, I wonder if Masayoshi Son’s big vision goes beyond just combining these two carriers and includes an acquisition (or two) of wireline assets too, so as to create a true rival to AT&T and Verizon. Centurylink would be the obvious property to go after there, with a significant footprint across much of the middle of the United States, and a growing presence in enterprise services too. A Sprint-T-Mobile-Centurylink merger with significant backing from SoftBank could be really powerful.

http://www.beyonddevic.es/2013/12/13/why-sprint-t-mobile-makes-sense/

To lazy to look it up right now but Century link is saddled with significant debt, mostly from financing its own merger. I think a strategic alliance would be more beneficial for both parties. The first step would be for Century link to come back into the Sprint fold as a MVNO.

The absolutely worst thing Sprint could do is get tied up with an entity like CenturyLink or Windstream with significant landline operations. Tons of debt supporting a dying product.

Yes, but also tons of opportunities for business integrated communications.

• Like 1