Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

Really? Sprints been working on nv for over 4 years now. Management from top to bottom is bad, customer service is bottom every year. Tmobile now has more prepaid customers than sprint. It's not a shock if tmobile is 3 by this time next year

Lets assume Sprint doesn't make any improvements from this point till next year and stands pat. T-Mobile would lap Sprint hands down. But, with the recent decision to back away from the merger. The prospect of a new CEO who is a self made billionare and parent company softbanmk who's owner is a self made billionare. You don't fall into money by simply being complacent. Yes it has taken time. But, nothing happens overnight its a piece by piece process. Unfortunately people in charge before Softbank and the board in control made very bad business decisions and that takes time to fix. See what happens this time next year in each key market then we can say there is an issue if progress isn't made. Its a long game from this point forward. All strategy! Its fun to watch from that perspective!

• Like 1

Really? Sprints been working on nv for over 4 years now. Management from top to bottom is bad, customer service is bottom every year. Tmobile now has more prepaid customers than sprint. It's not a shock if tmobile is 3 by this time next year

I disagree with every point, except on Prepaid.  Tmo has more now.  Not really a bragging point.  And they bought a good chunk of them.  That's kind of like bragging that Kia sells more cars in the ghetto.

Robert

• Like 10

Softbank took over 1 year plus 1 month ago. I never said the old management team is good.

I always said you need praise softbank to fire the previous network chief and that old marketing company.

It doesn't matter 3 or 4 by the end of this year. Tmobile is at no.4 for many years but they are doing good job for 2 years to get what they have now. It will take another 3~6 months for Sprint customers to see the dramatic change and improvement. I am using both verizon and sprint. But I hope Sprint to become strong to bring verzion in check to be humble to its customers.

For customer service, can this country have worse service than cable/satelite operators? I guess you didn't deal with comcast or directv before.

Over 4 years? Are you sure about that? The Network Vision project was announced in 2011, and work began in earnest in 2012. It would seem to me that work of some sort has been ongoing for less than 3 years. 

• Like 1

Over 4 years? Are you sure about that? The Network Vision project was announced in 2011, and work began in earnest in 2012. It would seem to me that work of some sort has been ongoing for less than 3 years. 

NV deployment has been going on for 2-1/2 years.  Don't concede 3 years to this guy.

Robert

• Like 12

I'm strongly thinking about switching back to sprint. It seems 80% of the towers in my area are lte and 800 lte if I'm reading the map correctly. Only change since I left last is 800mhz and one 1900 tower. At that point I'd be lucky to get lte and when I did it was 1-2 mbps down | mostly 3g at sub 500kbps. Currently getting about 20 - 30 mbps down on red. I'll have to stop and check out Yellow again. :-)

• Like 2

If Softbank can get the short cut to get scale and lower fixed cost on each user through buying T-mobile, why not?

Business has to be worked out by facts and analysis without emotion. Believe me, Softbank will go to bed with DISH if that would benefit them the most. If you knew DISH delayed the clearwire takeover and Sprint buyout for at least 2 months and cost more money from Softbank last year than their original plan.

• Like 1

I'm strongly thinking about switching back to sprint. It seems 80% of the towers in my area are lte and 800 lte if I'm reading the map correctly. Only change since I left last is 800mhz and one 1900 tower. At that point I'd be lucky to get lte and when I did it was 1-2 mbps down | mostly 3g at sub 500kbps. Currently getting about 20 - 30 mbps down on red. I'll have to stop and check out Yellow again. :-)

They should advertise their 30-day risk free trial heavily on dedicated short commercial from this fall.

You have to let people feel safe in order to catch them :D

• Like 4

You praise SoftBank yet really all they've done is try to buy tmobile. Which failed. Network vision will be 5 years old here soon, and the most customers can hope for is 5-10 Mbps?

Well actually they've accelerated deployment a crap load, especially b26 in all kinds of areas including very rural areas. I believe you've already been corrected on being wrong with how long NV has been going. I don't believe any of us were saying you can only hope for 5-10mb/s, in 95+% of the areas I go I get at least 20mb/s ranging up to 36ish. This is all in non b41 deployed areas. You really don't need more than 5mb/s though unless you're downloading large files, which isn't really legitimate mobile usage for the most part.
  • Like 4

Well actually they've accelerated deployment a crap load, especially b26 in all kinds of areas including very rural areas. I believe you've already been corrected on being wrong with how long NV has been going. I don't believe any of us were saying you can only hope for 5-10mb/s, in 95+% of the areas I go I get at least 20mb/s ranging up to 36ish. This is all in non b41 deployed areas. You really don't need more than 5mb/s though unless you're downloading large files, which isn't really legitimate mobile usage for the most part.

I've been ubür critical of the "delays" seen with NV (at least where I live)

But in all honesty the first 6-8 months of nv1.0 was mostly a bunch of testing and please make this work. And mix in some additional months trying to find funding etc....

.... Dan and Sprint did a great job.

• Like 3

What if the real holdup is that Ergen, who wants every employee in lockstep, just doesn't want to deal with Angry Johnny? Though if it came down to a fight, I'd bet on Ergen over Mr. Rock star any day. Not that I'm a fan of Charlie but Charlie built a company from scratch while John came out of the Bell System like Lowell McAdam and Randall Stephenson. People on the T-Mobile side ignore that fact.

• Like 4

What if the real holdup is that Ergen, who wants every employee in lockstep, just doesn't want to deal with Angry Johnny? Though if it came down to a fight, I'd bet on Ergen over Mr. Rock star any day. Not that I'm a fan of Charlie but Charlie built a company from scratch while John came out of the Bell System like Lowell McAdam and Randall Stephenson. People on the T-Mobile side ignore that fact.

I strongly suspect Charlie wouldn't put up with Johnny. Charlie is extremely shrewd and a true entrepreneur!
  • Like 1

I strongly suspect Charlie wouldn't put up with Johnny. Charlie is extremely shrewd and a true entrepreneur!

I would pay to see Charlie (and or the French too) kick John out the door!

• Like 1

Thing is the new subscribers to tmo wouldn't be to civil if that happened.

All the more reason I would want to see that train wreck happen.... Although I would suspect in the end the company would still survive, but the fanboy's reaction would be priceless!

All the more reason I would want to see that train wreck happen.... Although I would suspect in the end the company would still survive, but the fanboy's reaction would be priceless!

That company would be better off. Fanboys don't usually make financial decisions well.

• Like 4

I don't know bigsnake49 at all, but I have read his posts here for years and on other nameless sites before S4GRU.  My guess is that he considers himself an investor before a consumer.

Robert

Robert, I consider myself an engineer, a program manager, an investor (who is short of investable funds at the moment :), and then a consumer. As a consumer I recognize that the prices have to be sustainable. i recognize that in high fixed cost industries such as utilities, wireless, hospitals, prices have to reflect fixed costs and the investment capital required by keeping up with technology. 

As a program manager that has actually worked in the wireless industry it is rather appalling to see the project management missteps that Sprint committed. They need to fire every one of them.

Edited by bigsnake49

I'd still prefer they meet their advertised speeds (5-8 down). My benchmark for a network is being able to stream music during my entire commute without stuttering, while I'm reading text based news at the same time, at 1-2 down, this tends not to work. If Sprint can do that and keep my framily plan at $25 + $20, I'll be happy. They can't do it in San Francisco, and they can almost do it in Oakland. When I go back to Chicago in the fall, I'm relatively certain I should be able to do it, but we'll see. 

I once streamed music on I-95 for about 10 hrs straight on Sprint :)

• Like 4

Damn. Why the hell is everyone pardoning T-Mobile's financials with a "meh, they're upgrading EVERY TOWER to LTE!!!11!1one!1eleven, so obviously that's why their finances are bad, but this same exact thing obviously doesn't apply to Sprint cuz they suck"? They're running on fumes from the failed AT&T buyout and are now in danger of failing.

Damn. Why the hell is everyone pardoning T-Mobile's financials with a "meh, they're upgrading EVERY TOWER to LTE!!!11!1one!1eleven, so obviously that's why their finances are bad, but this same exact thing obviously doesn't apply to Sprint cuz they suck"? They're running on fumes from the failed AT&T buyout and are now in danger of failing.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought tmo gained a substantial cash infusion after the failed att bid.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought tmo gained a substantial cash infusion after the failed att bid.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Yes, but they've been using it. They didn't just save it. To me it doesn't seem as though DT is willing to shell out the cash like Softbank is.

• Like 4

Son, in my circles, if someone kicks perfectly good fried chicken, that's something beyond a penalty. More like a capital offense!

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Either way it will catch your attention! :drool: