Verizon Launching XLTE

JThorson

You're talking about sites going live. I'm talking about sites having equipment deployed. I will append my statement to them be around a year.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Well with them announcing AWS deployment last summer it still means they've reached 250 markets goal in less than a year, right?

In all honesty, that's a pretty remarkable achievement by any standard. At least in my book.

• Like 1

That still makes it less than a year. First live sites were reported in the fall by HoFo users. in NYC it was October as well.

A few sites does not a market make. Otherwise, Sprint has destroyed the rest of the domestic industry with the time to market of its LTE rollout.

So, let us be honest. VZW has not overlaid AWS on every site in all of the markets it claims. Many sites do not currently need the added capacity and may not get overlaid for several years.

AJ

A few sites does not a market make. Otherwise, Sprint has destroyed the rest of the domestic industry with the time to market of its LTE rollout.

So, let us be honest. VZW has not overlaid AWS on every site in all of the markets it claims. Many sites do not currently need the added capacity and may not get overlaid for several years.

AJ

That's what I'm suggesting. First few commercially accessible AWS sites started popping up last fall. Since then they're reaching 250 markets with AWS layer 500+ markets with 700c.

It's a capacity layer just like Sprint's B41.

That's what I'm suggesting. First few commercially accessible AWS sites started popping up last fall. Since then they're reaching 250 markets with AWS layer. It's a capacity layer just like Sprint's B41.

But that also diminishes the degree of this accomplishment, which I feel you have overstated, Milan.

AJ

vzw has had a hell of a time deploying band 4 through Tulsa. A significant chunk of their network is perched on 40~50 foot utility poles. It worked fine for 700MHz since they could place 4 within a mile,but that broadcast height is not conducive for AWS.

• Like 1

But that also diminishes the degree of this accomplishment, which I feel you have overstated, Milan.

AJ

Definitely wasn't my intention, AJ.

I don't feel I'm overstating Verizon's achievements though. It's been less than a year since Verizon announced deployment of AWS capacity layer, and 8-months or so since someone actually connected to that layer and reported on public forums.

Either way, reaching 250 markets with their capacity layer in a a given timeframe is a remarkable achievement in my humble opinion.

• Like 1

True. But it does mean that you can get to your cap faster because you are receiving data faster. The corollary is how people said you could only use x amount of data on Sprint because the speeds were so slow. Also, human nature being what it is, most people will  feel  encouraged to use more data thus reaching their cap sooner.

true,back before NV on the crappy 3g, i would be lucky if i got close to a gig a month, now that i have LTE. I get about 2-3 gig a month. 

I am really really starting to worry about sprint now. Is sprint really at a point of no return because of the damage done? I understand that they are doing everything over but even after they are complete with everything will it really help? I seriously want them to shut everyone up but as the days go on I just feel like this will be the year that will make or break this company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Many Benjamin's were harmed in the making of the XLTE network. I think we should boycott Verizon Wireless!

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

I don't understand people's worry for Sprint from this announcement. We all know how fast Sprint's Spark does go and how fast it will go. By year end, Sprint might even be passing Verizon's 20x20 network speeds in many areas.

• Like 1

I'd say sprint could take some pointers. 45 states (250 cities) at one offical shot is not to shabby.

I agree sprint is talking 150mbps, I'll wait to see how that turns out. Hopefully Sprint blows vzw out of the air. Till then I can't think but that stupid cliche, about stones and glass houses.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The way I see it, this hit T-Mobile harder than any other carrier. T-Mobile had been hyping this up late last year into this year and Verizon completely blew them out of the water. I'm surprised we haven't seen a response from T-Mobile yet about this. All I can think of is Neville Ray and John Legere sitting at a meeting table doing the *Heavy Breathing* face.

• Like 2

The way I see it, this hit T-Mobile harder than any other carrier. T-Mobile had been hyping this up late last year into this year and Verizon completely blew them out of the water. I'm surprised we haven't seen a response from T-Mobile yet about this. All I can think of is Neville Ray and John Legere sitting at a meeting table doing the *Heavy Breathing* face.

T-Mobile hasn't had LTE capacity issues like Verizon, yet. They also have less than half of Verizon's subs base, so in all honesty I don't think they're sweating over capacity. 

Also, I'm pretty sure T-Mobile has been fully aware of Verizon's AWS deployment plans all along.

• Like 1

T-Mobile hasn't had LTE capacity issues like Verizon, yet. They also have less than half of Verizon's subs base, so in all honesty I don't think they're sweating over capacity.

Also, I'm pretty sure T-Mobile has been fully aware of Verizon's AWS deployment plans all along.

I'm pretty sure his point was that T-Mobile has been using the whole, were the fastest blah blah blah as their selling point. That's not true now with this news from Verizon, and they can't compete coverage wise...not even close lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure his point was that T-Mobile has been using the whole, were the fastest blah blah blah as their selling point. That's not true now with this news from Verizon, and they can't compete coverage wise...not even close lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Absolutely true, but you know they'll ride it until they can't anymore. It was gonna end at some point, just like AT&T's claim did, and Verizon's before that.

I don't understand people's worry for Sprint from this announcement. We all know how fast Sprint's Spark does go and how fast it will go. By year end, Sprint might even be passing Verizon's 20x20 network speeds in many areas.

Totally agree with you, I've watched YouTube videos of people testing Sprint Spark and everyone that has tested it has been very pleased with the speeds they are getting.  Heck, I'm pleased with Band 25 running at a constant 13Mbps whether its during the daytime or peak afternoon hours.  

• Like 2

Does anyone worry that Sprint will still have issues with their network in the future compared to VZW and AT&T, especially with Verizon and them deploying and activating their AWS?

Until Sprint fires Ericsson (or at least chooses to not renew their contract come 2016) and brings network management in-house, the long-term condition of the network will remain a legitimate concern.

Spectrum-wise, however, Sprint is situated quite well compared to others with more fractured high frequency holdings, like AT&T.

It's all about that e penis

And capacity. A single 20 MHz FDD carrier rather than two 10 MHz carriers (for example) is a bit more spectrally efficient and provides much higher peak speeds, which is good for headlines and thus brand image. Wider channels also offer better performance at the cell edge.

Besides, given that devices that support carrier aggregation are not yet widely available, a wider channel will provide those on an unloaded site faster throughput, which could be useful for certain applications, especially those used by fixed wireless and grandfathered unlimited customers.

• Like 2

vzw has had a hell of a time deploying band 4 through Tulsa. A significant chunk of their network is perched on 40~50 foot utility poles. It worked fine for 700MHz since they could place 4 within a mile,but that broadcast height is not conducive for AWS.

That's kinda what they had here.  Alltel had all these telephone pole sites scattered around.  It worked very well when Sprint leased their EVDO!  VZW at that time only had their 1900mhz sites but then of course they bought Alltel and combined things. Some telephone pole sites stayed.  The one out my office window I saw a guy about 6 months ago for two days in a lift swapping the antennas out for triband ones.  It was about that time I noticed they had swapped a lot of their antennas around town.

• Like 1

All I can think of is Neville Ray and John Legere sitting at a meeting table doing the *Heavy Breathing* face.

Breathing_intensifies.jpg

• Like 2

No sign yet of the faster data speeds in the eastern part of OKC on my Note 3, but then I'm not sure which towers are supposed to be active.  We just don't have information on Verizon like we do with Sprint (thanks to S4GRU). 

Evidently when they say that a market like OKC is launched it doesn't mean all of the market. 

I'll be able to check out other parts of town tomorrow.

Here's a question... is Sprint going to eventually go to running 40 MHz TD-LTE channels at 3:2? I think Sprint should consider putting that option on the table in the near future. Anything bigger than that is ridiculous but I'd say 40 MHz will allow Sprint to compete with any of the other Big 4 carriers.