Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

B26 isn't giving me any amazing speeds anyway - the best I've gotten (in a "turbo spark" area in Dallas) is 30Mbps/4Mbps  :td: . In my home area that is "Spark" enabled, I get 6/2  :td:   Thank heavens for WiFi.

30/4 is bad? For a phone? That is as fast as my cable ISP, and it runs an entire household. I think we get caught up in this "must be faster" data speed contest too much. I would much rather a solid, deep building penetrating, nationwide 30/4 LTE connection rather than a sketchy, metro areas only 60/8 one.

• Like 9

30/4 is bad? For a phone? That is as fast as my cable ISP, and it runs an entire household. I think we get caught up in this "must be faster" data speed contest too much. I would much rather a solid, deep building penetrating, nationwide 30/4 LTE connection rather than a sketchy, metro areas only 60/8 one.

Well, you must realize that the 30/4 is only when I went looking for the so called turbo spark speed. Yes 30/4 on a mobile device is sufficient (at least now) but the speeds I get 99% of the time are significantly lower.

The other point I trying to make is that even the turbo spark (as per sprint) is really not comparable to other carriers in real life... Yet. And Spark itself was supposed to be better than other carriers.

Building penetration? Ha.. Sorry, that's a joke with our carrier.

I'm in the Dallas metro area.

Well, you must realize that the 30/4 is only when I went looking for the so called turbo spark speed. Yes 30/4 on a mobile device is sufficient (at least now) but the speeds I get 99% of the time are significantly lower.

The other point I trying to make is that even the turbo spark (as per sprint) is really not comparable to other carriers in real life... Yet. And Spark itself was supposed to be better than other carriers.

The best speeds I get in Dallas area is from the tower on the hill behind my house. Consistently gets around 30Mbps. Its best is a little over 32Mbps. Unfortunately, not much use when I'm home as I have WIFI.

In regards to building penetration, I think that is one of the goals of Sprint Spark. Is it better? A little I think.

You should have 800 LTE all around you, do you not? I've seen much improved in-building coverage with 800 LTE.

You should have 800 LTE all around you, do you not? I've seen much improved in-building coverage with 800 LTE.

The towers near my home, and work and parks/malls that I go to supposedly have all been upgraded to 800. In building penetration however is no better, at least in my case.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a whiner or to turn this into a "sprint sux" post. Just stating what I noticed hoping that things improve soon.

The towers near my home, and work and parks/malls that I go to supposedly have all been upgraded to 800. In building penetration however is no better, at least in my case.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a whiner or to turn this into a "sprint sux" post. Just stating what I noticed hoping that things improve soon.

Have you verified that you are getting 800 LTE on your device? If are not, then there is not yet a comparison to be made.

Have you verified that you are getting 800 LTE on your device? If are not, then there is not yet a comparison to be made.

Using signal check pro, yes.

Again, I'm not complaining about this. The whole thing started because of a suggestion to disable band 26 to debug the battery drain :-)

This thread is not to discuss signal issues, so I think we should not be derailing the topic :-)

Thanks for the feedback though

Just to add onto that, I've got B26 LTE all around me, but the antennas are not aimed correctly. I actually get a higher RSRP on B25 and B41 LTE inside my house than I do on B26.

Just to add onto that, I've got B26 LTE all around me, but the antennas are not aimed correctly. I actually get a higher RSRP on B25 and B41 LTE inside my house than I do on B26.

If your a premier sponsor have a look at this post. If not hang on a little longer, good things come to the patient/

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5107-lte-800-band-26-sites-accepted-discussion/?p=330345

Does anyone know of a way to force a custom PRL on this phone? On my S3, I was able to use the corporate PRLs to get 3G roaming. Is that possible here?

I posted a detailed guide a couple of weeks ago. You may have to dig back some to find it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If you're connecting on the stock radio then it should be ecsfb enabled already. You might try putting it in 3g preferred over night (when you won't need the faster speeds of LTE anyways) and see if that helps out. It'll essentially do the same thing for you.

Dayum.... Switched to 3g only last night after full charge and battery was at 98% this morning. Ugh.. So I need to stay 3g to get better battery life or lose battery to get better data speeds on LTE.. Grrr

Dayum.... Switched to 3g only last night after full charge and battery was at 98% this morning. Ugh.. So I need to stay 3g to get better battery life or lose battery to get better data speeds on LTE.. Grrr

Weird... I get better battery life on LTE. It also helps to leave it on WiFi... I only drain like 1% overnight on WiFi.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Weird... I get better battery life on LTE. It also helps to leave it on WiFi... I only drain like 1% overnight on WiFi.

Sent from my Nexus 5

In general cases that's what is supposed to happen. However I've noticed while in areas with one or more towers not ecsfb enabled near by n5's seem to drain abnormally fast. This is assuming you're in the area for an extended period of time. I'm thinking it's the constantly picking up and dropping LTE signal because I have had similar behavior in areas where I can scan and find unable b25(-120ish or lower) but my n5 still scans, finds, and tries to latch on to it.

Alright there's one last thing I can think of. Which is due to the way the single radio phones(aka triband) interact with air raves that is making your phone consistently search. So you can also try unplugging your air rave for a night while leaving your n5 in LTE (recommended) or Global, and see if that has the results as putting your phone in 3g preferred.

You don't have to root the phone to flash a new modem. You don't even have to unlock it if you don't want to, but it does make it easier if you are unlocked. I haven't rooted yet, just unlocked so I can change the modem on the fly.

I decided to stick it out and rooted/ flashed the .15 radio last night as well as flashed the 4.4.4 update. Rooted so i could run greenify and have more options in tasker. The radio performance is definitely better with the .15 (like everyone said it was). I am not dropping from LTE to 3G between towers like I was before as well as keeping LTE where I had 1x previously( in my driveway). 

Thanks everyone for the help.

• Like 3

Is there a consensus on which radio is best for 1x800/3G performance? I live in a non-LTE area and struggle getting signal in my lower level apartment. With .15 I never got 1x800. I got a signal of 1xRTT of -104 to -108. With the current 4.4.4 radio, I'm getting around -95 to -105 of 1x800 and -101 to -108 eHRPD. 

Is there a consensus on which radio is best for 1x800/3G performance? I live in a non-LTE area and struggle getting signal in my lower level apartment. With .15 I never got 1x800. I got a signal of 1xRTT of -104 to -108. With the current 4.4.4 radio, I'm getting around -95 to -105 of 1x800 and -101 to -108 eHRPD.

The latest two radios do seem to have better 1x/EVDO power. So I'd stick with them.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Just to recap, at night, I usually turn off mobile data and WiFi (phone would be on the LTE only setting instead of 3g). And my battery drain (before 4.4.3 update) was 1-2%

After 4.4.3 (and now, with 4.4.4), battery drain has gone up to 15% or so - with identical situation (Android OS/Phone Idle take up that - no wakelocks to speak of).

Based on an earlier suggestion in this thread, I switched to 3g only setting (again, leaving mobile data/WiFi off), and now, battery drain is 1-2% only. This is helping with battery life in the daytime too, but that means that I can either sacrifice battery life for better data speed, or sacrifice data speed for battery life... UGH!

Alright there's one last thing I can think of. Which is due to the way the single radio phones(aka triband) interact with air raves that is making your phone consistently search. So you can also try unplugging your air rave for a night while leaving your n5 in LTE (recommended) or Global, and see if that has the results as putting your phone in 3g preferred.

I don't have an airave, so not connecting to it at all :(

Edit: sorry, I meant LTE (recommended) vs 3G setting