Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I actually got b41 in Dallas ! On .15 and it connected randomly haha. I can't seem to find which method works best

From what I've noticed it will connect to b41 when b25 signal is weaker than the b41 signal.

Sent from my Nexus 5

From what I've noticed it will connect to b41 when b25 signal is weaker than the b41 signal.Sent from my Nexus 5

I noticed when leaving the american airlines center I picked itbup, because it dropped the small cell signal, and picked up b41 and I didn't even notice! But I've picked it up randomly as well even with b25 in the -75 area

I am sure it might have been mentioned but there are 232 pages to look through, does the Nexus 5 HD voice capable? Thanks.

Trying to get ideas for a new phone.

Yes it is. I haven't noticed any speaker issues, coming from EVO LTE I prefer speaker placement on N5 better.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

To save everyone the trouble of clicking the link... The update isn't out yet and this is just Sprint saying "it's coming soon". Granted, hopefully "it's on its way" means that it is coming sooner than later.

• Like 2

Yeah, ummmmmm... that's not an update. That's the same thing that Sprint has been saying since the Nexus 5 was released. There are dozens of posts just like that all over that site. I wish I read JosefTor's post before I jumped out of my chair in excitement!

To save everyone the trouble of clicking the link... The update isn't out yet and this is just Sprint saying "it's coming soon". Granted, hopefully "it's on its way" means that it is coming sooner than later.

Sprint has been saying that in various ways since it was released just after Halloween. SprintCare gives the same response to anyone who asks on their website or Twitter every day, "It's on its way.. coming soon.. it will be rolled out shortly... early 2014...". I've also seen more than one response from @sprintcare over the past 2 months saying that the update is being rolled out now. That would be great, but it's not. My best guess is that they are thinking anything Spark = coverage question, not software update.

I am disappointed that every time someone asks Sprint about the software update, the rep's first response asks for their location. They should be minimally trained to at least realize folks are asking about a device software update, not a coverage issue. Your location does not have any effect on it. I think they just see "Spark" and go straight for the canned responses.

I want the update, but I don't have a problem with it not being released yet; the most specific timeframe Sprint has ever given is "early 2014". I interpret that as 1Q2014, so they've got 4 weeks left. I'd rather they wait and get it right instead of releasing something that is going to worsen the experience for everyone. Since it is a Nexus device, I'm curious if it will just be included as part of the next Google OTA, whenever it comes out. Google might not be willing to push out an update that will only be useful for Sprint customers.

-Mike

• Like 3

That's a good theory about releasing it with the next ota. They're probably thinking, "this update only applies to sprint customers. All the other (average) customers will be calling/emailing/tweeting support staff wondering what it does."

Google might not be willing to push out an update that will only be useful for Sprint customers.

-Mike

They did with the LTE Nexus 7 and Verizon. It was the only nexus device to get an OTA and it only made the device useable on Verizon.

• Like 1

The last time I asked about the spark update, the chat rep told me they had no idea and were just basically waiting on Google. Then they offered to walk me through manually enabling bands 26/41, setting priority etc. They even took the time to explain how to find out what band I was connecting to via engineering screens. For a second I thought they might have been a s4gru member, it was kind of awesome.

• Like 4

The last time I asked about the spark update, the chat rep told me they had no idea and were just basically waiting on Google. Then they offered to walk me through manually enabling bands 26/41, setting priority etc. They even took the time to explain how to find out what band I was connecting to via engineering screens. For a second I thought they might have been a s4gru member, it was kind of awesome.

Like many other things in life, it all depends on who you talk to.. I have also spoken with some very knowledgeable Sprint folks in chat and on the phone. But I saw a question posted on Sprint's message board about a Google-purchased Nexus 5 tonight.. the response from the Sprint rep was that it cannot be activated on Sprint's network because it is a GSM phone. I could understand the confusion when the N5 was first released, but this was posted 2 days ago..   :wall:

-Mike

They did with the LTE Nexus 7 and Verizon. It was the only nexus device to get an OTA and it only made the device useable on Verizon.

Great point, I hadn't thought of that! From what I read, Google was able to target that OTA to only push out if a Verizon SIM was active. So that shouldn't be a hurdle for the Sprint update.

-Mike

Great point, I hadn't thought of that! From what I read, Google was able to target that OTA to only push out if a Verizon SIM was active. So that shouldn't be a hurdle for the Sprint update.

-Mike

I still say the Sprintcare folks on Twitter and their forums are bots. The Eliza of 2014.

Assuming the person that you talked to was somehow "in the know", Google waiting for the next OTA to push the Spark update is the only way I can possibly think that Sprint is waiting on Google.  Otherwise, it sounds like another of the "depends on who you talk to" type of misinformation.

Like many other things in life, it all depends on who you talk to.. I have also spoken with some very knowledgeable Sprint folks in chat and on the phone. But I saw a question posted on Sprint's message board about a Google-purchased Nexus 5 tonight.. the response from the Sprint rep was that it cannot be activated on Sprint's network because it is a GSM phone. I could understand the confusion when the N5 was first released, but this was posted 2 days ago..   :wall:

-Mike

I spoke to someone Saturday because the tower near my home would not allow me to call or make calls if I was connected to LTE (the phone won't drop to 1x to make the call, it simply sits at the "Dialing" screen), but worked fine on 3G.  Even though I explained that I'm able to make calls in other areas where LTE is present, I was told that there was "no reported problem like that on the network" and that I needed to get my phone checked for repair.  Further, she was adamant that Tri Band phones CAN use voice and LTE simultaneously, and that she was sure I had a hardware issue as the reason that it wasn't working (I never asked about doing both at once).

The kicker though was when she obviously noticed I had a Nexus 5, and then asked what handset I had.  When I told her, she asked me "How did you get that activated on Sprint?  That shouldn't work on our network."

:wall:

• Like 3

Ok if I am not worried about connecting to B41 until the

So far the N5 is a damn good phone,

At my desk at work the Note 2 hovered around - 109 to -111 most of the time. Hopefully Monday the N5 will do a little better.

Its 5-6 db better if you can trust the reading is calibrated. Transfer rate is very good.

Sent from Nexus 5

I want the update, but I don't have a problem with it not being released yet; the most specific timeframe Sprint has ever given is "early 2014". I interpret that as 1Q2014, so they've got 4 weeks left. I'd rather they wait and get it right instead of releasing something that is going to worsen the experience for everyone.

-Mike

I also want the update, but it's not that urgent for me since the places I frequent barely even have the regular band 25. Heck, the only time I turn on LTE is when I'm visiting family in LA or visiting north-cental Orange county like Westminster or Anaheim. I'm not complaining, though, since thanks to S4GRU, I've seen the progress in the Sponsor maps.

As for the "early 2014" interpretation, I would hope it is 1Q2014, but I fear that their use of "early" can mean anywhere from January to the end of June. The upside is that LG got the G2 Spark update out to users, so the Nexus 5 may not be that far off. Until we get a hard date or OTA from Google, though, everything is pure speculation.

• Like 1

The Spark update for me probably won't make much of a difference as well. As long as I do a PRL update after a reboot or signal reset my phone has no issues connecting to B41. I'm expecting the same when B26 comes around. However I'm not sure how it will be once I leave the Orlando Market as I wasn't able to connect at all in Chicago a few months ago (but that was before I knew about the PRL trick)

...I wasn't able to connect at all in Chicago a few months ago (but that was before I knew about the PRL trick)

The PRL trick doesn't help. At least in my experience with Chicago b41 towers. 

The PRL trick doesn't help. At least in my experience with Chicago b41 towers.

You need to run .15

Then enable band 41 and set it as the priority before the prl trick works.

You need to run .15

Then enable band 41 and set it as the priority before the prl trick works.

Yeah I've done it in that order and I've had no luck connecting. 

.15 will work automatically once you are in an area with a higher b41 signal and lower b25 signal.

assuming the b41 site is accepting connections.

Edited by dedub

/nod

its the profile update that changes the priorities.

prl update should not change any priorities, in my experience.

Edited by dedub