Wifi calling

Djjim

I assume the answer to this question would be yes. If sprint is focusing on wifi calling and is going to use it as a selling point, then naturally I would think they'll be adding more phones that support it

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

It's been two months since it was announced and crickets......and one of the two devices is eol'd. Come on Sprint. Let's go!!

It's only EOL for postpaid; it's still available for Sprint Prepaid.

On-topic, Sprint has said that more devices will be supported in the future. No other information has appeared.

WiFi calling is really available on Republic Wireless, a Sprint MVNO, on the Moto X now, and the Moto G very soon here.

I wish they'd add it to the the S4. The Note and Mega are too big! And the S4 Mini is too small. My wife has the S3 with Verizon and I want to switch her to Sprint. I'd like something for her that is around the S3/S4 size. She needs wifi calling because she works in a hospital.

Just got my uupdate so far it works OK... Does this mean I can scrap my airwaves now lol

You are the perfect person to totally test this out.Then come back here and tell us all how good or bad this works.

How is call quality over the Wi-Fi.  Can you really dump the Airave?

Test it out good and be critical.  Is it really an acceptable service that can work for most people??

I personally do not need it but we all want to know how it works.

Just got my uupdate so far it works OK... Does this mean I can scrap my airwaves now lol

That would be the real reason to setup wifi calling, it both expands coverage and reduced the need for Sprint to use airraves.

• Like 1

You are the perfect person to totally test this out.Then come back here and tell us all how good or bad this works.How is call quality over the Wi-Fi. Can you really dump the Airave?Test it out good and be critical. Is it really an acceptable service that can work for most people??I personally do not need it but we all want to know how it works.
I haven't done any exhaustive testing, but I have it on my Note 3 and have used it several times. I'd say that the voice quality is just as good as making a (non HD) call on the network. Once you get through the initial set up which I found slightly cumbersome, the feature works great imo. I think, not surprisingly, the quality of your experience is going to depend on the quality of your wifi signal. For instance, if you have a large home and you're somewhere in it that puts you at the edge of your router's range your call quality will likely reflect that. I haven't tried to make it hand off from my wifi to the network though that probably won't work. Still, Sprint would do well to incorporate this feature into as many handsets as they can add quickly as they can.

Not sure if this has been answered before, does the 5s support wifi calling? And if not, can an update make it?Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
Currently only the Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy Mega and Galaxy S4 mini support wifi calling. More handsets will be added. Which ones and when are anybody's guess at this time. I don't think any of T-Mobile's iPhones support the feature yet so I probably wouldn't get my hopes up on that front. Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

You are the perfect person to totally test this out.Then come back here and tell us all how good or bad this works.

How is call quality over the Wi-Fi.  Can you really dump the Airave?

Test it out good and be critical.  Is it really an acceptable service that can work for most people??

I personally do not need it but we all want to know how it works.

i posted that before i really tested it... i thought it was working, but later on i noticed that i had a notification saying that i had an error in activation, i clicked on it, it said it was activated and working on my phone(like it did the first time) but when i tried to use it the notification came up again... i tried a couple things i saw on android central but nothing worked yet... figured id try it again when i got home after work... 

but as soon as i get it to work right ill let you know

Yep, like I experienced, getting it set up initially can be a little frustrating dealing with the activation issues. Easy to tell when you do have it set up though. The wifi calling icon in the status bar and the green wifi call button:

avedaja6.jpg

And once you're on the call it tells you that it's a wifi call and the red end button also gets the updated wifi treatment:

4ytahadu.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I read that in order to use wifi calling, you need to have a CDMA signal. Does anyone know if a roaming signal satisfies that requirement? I seriously wish Sprint didn't require it. It would've been just as easy to limit the use to only US IP addresses.

I'm going on vacation soon to Robbinsville, NC and Sprint has roaming there (I believe through Verizon) but the cabin I'm staying in has wifi. This is the reason I'm asking.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I read that in order to use wifi calling, you need to have a CDMA signal. Does anyone know if a roaming signal satisfies that requirement? I seriously wish Sprint didn't require it. It would've been just as easy to limit the use to only US IP addresses. I'm going on vacation soon to Robbinsville, NC and Sprint has roaming there (I believe through Verizon) but the cabin I'm staying in has wifi. This is the reason I'm asking. Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk.

You can make a video call via hangouts if that helps.

I read that in order to use wifi calling, you need to have a CDMA signal. Does anyone know if a roaming signal satisfies that requirement? I seriously wish Sprint didn't require it.

A CDMA signal isn't required.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Will you let us know if wifi calling works? When are you going on vacation? I have a feeling it will work within any CDMA area regardless of carrier.

I'll definitely post back after my vacation to let everyone know how well it works. I'm hoping for the best.

Saw your posts. Had to offer my experience. I posted a few days ago in the Sprint Users forum.

I have a Galaxy S4 (720T), received the WiFi calling update early in the morning a yesterday.

I tested extensively the last two days. It works awesome!

Calls I made were clear. Other party says they hear me fine.

You setup your S4 to any WiFi you connect to individually. So the S4 won't automatically use WiFi calling when you are connected to a WiFi..the first time..you have to deliberately enable WiFi calling on the WiFi of you wish to use for WiFi calling.

Once that is done..the next time you attach to that WiFi..within 15secs..the S4 says WiFi Calling is now enabled on "What Ever WiFi.." Your voice signal drops off and now you are fully ready to use your S4 via WiFi.

Also..the update description said that once you connect to a WiFi with WiFi calling..the text messages go through the WiFi as well.

I see the activity over WiFi calling when I type "usage." It tells me how many minutes I used for WiFi calling and how many texts i sent via WiFi calling.

Another benefit..I no longer need my Airave.. I will keep it for my kids..but the Airave doesn't come into play.

Once I roll into my garage and my S4 connects to my home WiFi I am good. The Airave is not used at that point. Its awesome..I used to have to enable CDMA mode only when I got home so my Airave will be stable..now I just leave LTE mode on all the time.

Its really a freaking awesome update!! All the dead spots at my job are no longer a factor..WiFi is all over the two building where I work. I setup my S4 to use WiFi calling on all the WiFi.. Now I have no dead spots at my job..

Again..a really cool Sprint update.

• Like 4