Sprint Wifi Calling.....

runagun

I wonder if this could be a work around "fix" for Airave's and tri-band phones without needing to disable LTE at home.

Still have that issue of texting though.  Curious to see how this will work since you will need a CDMA signal.

I just hope they come up with something. My nexus sits on my desk unused while I suffer with my evo because of it. One of the five towers circling my house went live with LTE and the signal is just strong enough for it to latch on and hold and cause missed/dropped calls.

I just hope they come up with something. My nexus sits on my desk unused while I suffer with my evo because of it. One of the five towers circling my house went live with LTE and the signal is just strong enough for it to latch on and hold and cause missed/dropped calls.

Did you try turning off LTE?

• Like 1

Still have that issue of texting though.  Curious to see how this will work since you will need a CDMA signal.

No idea how they have it working but the screenshot does say the ability to text over wifi.

Did you try turning off LTE?

Yeah, that works. It got old switching LTE on and off every day. I forgot to do it twice and missed a couple of important calls so I reactivated my EVO for the time being.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I wonder if this could be a work around "fix" for Airave's and tri-band phones without needing to disable LTE at home.

Considering the two phones in that screenshot are both Spark enabled, it would not surprise me at all that they're accelerating this for Spark phones.

Not only that, but getting this rolling on all Android devices eventually will dramatically reduce their overhead costs in purchasing and maintaining Airaves...

That being said, that screenshot looks like it's from a legitimate Sprint online training course. I'd recognize that 1990's style page layout anywhere. What really tipped me off was the edge of one of those hideous yellow rounded-corner next buttons...

• Like 2

Not only that, but getting this rolling on all Android devices eventually will dramatically reduce their overhead costs in purchasing and maintaining Airaves...

If it still requires cdma signal to work, I wonder if a really weak signal would suffice. Otherwise I don't see Airaves going away anytime soon.

If it still requires cdma signal to work, I wonder if a really weak signal would suffice. Otherwise I don't see Airaves going away anytime soon.

I wonder about that myself. How often does it need to call home? Does the device just need to see "Sprint" in its PRL and be good?

The restrictions stated make it sound like it's based on the Sprint licensing schemes for spectrum, but that shouldn't matter - it's WiFi.

This was always magentas awesome feature. Great that it's coming to Sprint. Be good if it worked everywhere because when traveling overseas it's a perfect solution.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Agreed. This is a feature I've wanted for a long time

It says it needs a native CDMA signal to satisfy federal 911 regulations and it is only available for calls in the USA. Not sure if it would help with overseas calling or for those outside of useable Sprint coverage.

Yes wifi calling will only work in Sprint coverage areas and the feature is only avail on the S4 mini and Samsung Mega,,,

I guess ppl missed my post but Wifi calling will only work in Sprint Native coverage areas, it will not work overseas or in roaming areas,,,, When the feature is released only two phones will have it installed already, the Samsung Mega and S4 Mini,,,

• Like 1

It says it needs a native CDMA signal to satisfy federal 911 regulations and it is only available for calls in the USA. Not sure if it would help with overseas calling or for those outside of useable Sprint coverage.

I wouldn't be surprised if they put CDMA by mistake and really meant a GPS signal.

Otherwise, if you can get a Sprint signal, why on earth would you use wifi, doesn't make sense.

But then again, all the calling plans being put out by Sprint over the last few months don't make sense either, only people with accounting degrees know what is going on.

I wouldn't be surprised if they put CDMA by mistake and really meant a GPS signal.

Otherwise, if you can get a Sprint signal, why on earth would you use wifi, doesn't make sense.

But then again, all the calling plans being put out by Sprint over the last few months don't make sense either, only people with accounting degrees know what is going on.

Yeah, this wifi calling seems useless to me if you need a Sprint signal, anyway. The reason I was hoping for wifi calling in the first place is because my dad lives in an oddly isolated area in western Iowa with no Sprint coverage. It would be awesome to be able to still use my phone without roaming on Verizon whenever I visit.

Maybe a roaming CDMA signal would qualify as well

• Like 1