Wifi calling

Djjim

My son has an iphone 5, and he doesnt have any issues with connecting. However, if you disable 4G when you are home, thst should lock into your Airave.. Go to settings/cellular...then disable LTE with slide bar, reboot and iphone should lock into Airave.

Oh yes. I've tried the assortment of things, including that one and even turning data off completely. Usually that one works, but it still likes to latch onto the outside site for some reason and then switch back and forth. I've grown to accept it and always have the iPad charger on hand to turbo charge my phone if I know I'm leaving. And a car charger...yeh. 

Apologies if this was asked before and/or is buried in this thread/in some other thread. But can the Nexus 5 support WiFi calling? And will they count against my voice minutes? (Yes, I'm still on one of those 1500 min unlimited data family plans)

Can't speak for the Nexus 5 but I do have WiFi Calling on my Galaxy S4. No the WiFi calling doesn't count against your minutes. They are counted desperate.... I can see the break down on my bill and online.

FYI.. I am am on the 1500min Family Data Plan as well.

I'm seeing, with my s5, lots of small outages with Wi-Fi calling. Works great mostly, but seems like they take it offline from time to time for working on it. Just my opinion, I have no clue if this is the case. When my Wi-Fi calling doesn't work, I immediately change to my other DSL line to see if network is the problem. Always my Wi-Fi calling and wife's goes out at same time.

WiFi Calling doesn't work like that. It's VoIP and uses Data to make the calls and send the texts, thats why it isn't charged against your plan minutes.

Since you and your wife experience WiFi Calling issues at the same time, more than likely it is your data connection is the problem.

WiFi calling is designed to suppliment your coverage when your Sprint phone is in low signal areas. Albeit WiFi calling works, people need to realize it is not perfect and if you have a bad or slow Internet connection your WiFi Calling experience will not be the best.

Personally, I only turn it on when I am stationary and know that I am in a low signal area.

My two cents..

Since you and your wife experience WiFi Calling issues at the same time, more than likely it is your data connection is the problem.

Maybe, and maybe not.    Other people are reporting problems with Wi-Fi calling, so it may be that problems exist at the VOIP switch site.  When the Airaves were first placed in service years ago, the service crashed quite often.  Some Airaves were bad, some were not.  The problems were sometimes at the Airave switching equipment and it may have been hardware or software.

Wifi calling may not work like that, but it sure doesn't work like my VOIP vonage service does either...

If it was my connection, as you are assuming it was, then that doesn't start to add up.

As I said..two physical DSL lines, and when I've seen wifi calling go out on my phone, I switch to the other DSL line to see if it's "my network" ..which it hasn't been.

I've left home and went to other places that have even better broadband than I do (6meg / .5meg on both lines)...and still had the outage.

And not only that, when I last had wifi calling just quit, there was a large discussion on the Sprint community forum about it, and I'm sure that wasn't just people on my network. Actually I never posted on there about it. So that tells me that there is something more widespread, when my wifi calling is out, and so is ### of other people on the Sprint community site. Then suddenly we all get it back at the same time.

Someone posted in the S5 thread the other day that their wifi calling had just came back, and mine had just come back when I read that post (within two minutes before I read it).

I have an airave that runs off the same network that my wifi calling works on. Switch off wifi calling and the airave makes a call just fine. Pick up my vonage phone and make a call just fine..on the same network.

The airave is on DSL line 1...vonage is on DSL line 2. And my wife runs wifi calling on the opposite network as I do at all times...so we don't use the same DSL line for our phones on wifi calling.

It's gonna take some steady evidence for me to belief that all of this other stuff works fine when wifi calling suddenly quits and it's all to be blamed on my end.

Does anyone know if the feature will be coming to the HTC M8 and/or the HTC M7

My crystal ball is telling me yes(for the m8) for some reason, :)

• Like 2

Wifi calling may not work like that, but it sure doesn't work like my VOIP vonage service does either...

If it was my connection, as you are assuming it was, then that doesn't start to add up.

As I said..two physical DSL lines, and when I've seen wifi calling go out on my phone, I switch to the other DSL line to see if it's "my network" ..which it hasn't been.

I've left home and went to other places that have even better broadband than I do (6meg / .5meg on both lines)...and still had the outage.

And not only that, when I last had wifi calling just quit, there was a large discussion on the Sprint community forum about it, and I'm sure that wasn't just people on my network. Actually I never posted on there about it. So that tells me that there is something more widespread, when my wifi calling is out, and so is ### of other people on the Sprint community site. Then suddenly we all get it back at the same time.

Someone posted in the S5 thread the other day that their wifi calling had just came back, and mine had just come back when I read that post (within two minutes before I read it).

I have an airave that runs off the same network that my wifi calling works on. Switch off wifi calling and the airave makes a call just fine. Pick up my vonage phone and make a call just fine..on the same network.

The airave is on DSL line 1...vonage is on DSL line 2. And my wife runs wifi calling on the opposite network as I do at all times...so we don't use the same DSL line for our phones on wifi calling.

It's gonna take some steady evidence for me to belief that all of this other stuff works fine when wifi calling suddenly quits and it's all to be blamed on my end.

Were you using your Vonage phone at the very moments you experienced your WiFi calling going out? Probably not. Trust me... I am an IT guy at my job...implemented a VoIP Phone system a few years ago... phone quality is predicated on the reliability and speed of your Internet connection.

I have used WiFi calling since it was available on my 720T in April... there were times that the other party recognizes a delay or static, but understand..... that is the nature of the VoIP beast.

Each person is different, but I look at WiFi calling from Sprint on my S4 as an added benefit and it isn't going to be perfect.

Sprint certainly didn't have to implement WiFi calling, but they are trying to enhance their in building service quality and stay competitive.

I can say this... WiFi is available almost anywhere where. I travel or visit... with WiFi calling... I am NEVER without phone service.

My thoughts..

Were you using your Vonage phone at the very moments you experienced your WiFi calling going out? Probably not. Trust me... I am an IT guy at my job...implemented a VoIP Phone system a few years ago... phone quality is predicated on the reliability and speed of your Internet connection.

I have used WiFi calling since it was available on my 720T in April... there were times that the other party recognizes a delay or static, but understand..... that is the nature of the VoIP beast.

Each person is different, but I look at WiFi calling from Sprint on my S4 as an added benefit and it isn't going to be perfect.

Sprint certainly didn't have to implement WiFi calling, but they are trying to enhance their in building service quality and stay competitive.

I can say this... WiFi is available almost anywhere where. I travel or visit... with WiFi calling... I am NEVER without phone service.

My thoughts..

No. But at the same time, this:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5795-samsung-galaxy-s5-user-thread/?p=335173

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5795-samsung-galaxy-s5-user-thread/?p=335175

It was pretty widespread when it went out, and pretty widespread when it came back.  Seems like a bunch of us lost wifi calling around the same time on the same date, and it came back around the same time on the same date.

My point in saying the stuff about vonage et al was that my network holds up for all this stuff to work, and between 2 individual DSL lines, neither would allow wifi calling to connect and work. Nor would networks away from home that are even faster with better connections. It was just not working on the Sprint side at all, even though it had been fine up until that point.

If my 2nd line is good enough to play BF4 on the Playstation 4 in a multiplayer game, then it should be fine for wifi calling when the Ps4 is turned off..which is the case the majority of the time. I rarely play but a couple times a week anymore, and that DSL line is specifically for my Ps4 only. The other line is used for surfing, etc.

Yes, that goes without saying. But I tested that as well. It holds the call as long as it can, then when no WiFi is available it disconnects the call.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

And the other way too.  I use an Airrave currently and when I get close enough for my wifi to pick up it drops any cdma call I'm on so I'm sure the wifi calling will do the same.

And the other way too. I use an Airrave currently and when I get close enough for my wifi to pick up it drops any cdma call I'm on so I'm sure the wifi calling will do the same.

CDMA doesn't hand-off to Wi-Fi calling and vise versa.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

My crystal ball is telling me yes(for the m8) for some reason, :)

Ahhh yes, looks like my crystal ball didn't fail me ;).  New update drops today with wifi calling included.

• Like 2

Please forgive me if this has been asked already.

After multiple struggles, I have finally gotten WiFi calling to activate on my phone.

I tried to make a call and now I am getting a Roaming message from Sprint saying....

"You are roaming, to make a call, contact your service provider by pressing 1 to purchase a PIN, to make a collet call, press 2"

What do I do to get rid of that?

You might call Sprint..or try update your profile. It sounds like your account is not provisioned for WiFi calling. When you login to your account, does WiFi calling appear as a feature?

• Like 1

You might call Sprint..or try update your profile. It sounds like your account is not provisioned for WiFi calling. When you login to your account, does WiFi calling appear as a feature?

Thanks, I did call Sprint, and the Customer Service rep confirmed that I did have the WiFi calling feature on my account.

The Customer Service Rep has escalated the issue.