Sprint to join Rural Operators Roaming Hub (CCA and RRPP thread)

marioc21

Out of nowhere, Blue Wireless is participating in this. Blue's network has been pretty bad up until this point only offering 1x service. What I don't understand is that Blue's coverage is only cities. Cities that Sprint covers nonetheless. 

In New York:

• Binghamton
  • Buffalo
  • Elmira
  • Jamestown
  • Dunkirk
  • Niagara Falls

In Pennsylvania:

• Scranton
  • Wilkes-Barre

All have native Sprint coverage and some have 4G LTE. I'm in Scranton and we definitely have Network Vision rolled out here. Blue's plans beat everyone else though. $46 for everything including unlimited high-speed data. Blue definitely runs its own network too. 

1X is high speed?

Very awesome !!!  :D

CCAhighdefmap.png

Do not wet yourself with excitement.  That map reflects full CCA, not Sprint RRPP.

And I question the Montana footprint.  Is some of that Chinook Wireless?  It is going kaput soon.

AJ

I find it interesting that Hawaii is not on that map and yet on the CCA cell map it does show Hawaii. 

TS

1X is high speed?

I thought this part was weird too. Maybe 1xA with 4x speed instead of 4x voice capacity? That's still only 576 kbps. Is there some way to aggregate 1x channels?

If the 1x high speed comments are about nk1 post they were saying 1x roaming bad. And they were looking forward to blue lte and questioning why when they cover the same area.

I was wandering about the us cellular and ntelos. Ntelos deal says no overbuilding I wonder if this will apply to us cellular and sprint roaming on LTE as native sprint. It will be nice I won't have to connect to a sprint 1x1900 tower 15 miles. By connect I mean standing in one spot trying not to move and holding the phone with limited fingers at a certain height.

I find it interesting that Hawaii is not on that map and yet on the CCA cell map it does show Hawaii.

TS

The Hawaii CCA coverage is from Sprint and T-Mobile only.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I thought this part was weird too. Maybe 1xA with 4x speed instead of 4x voice capacity? That's still only 576 kbps. Is there some way to aggregate 1x channels?

Not that i'm aware of of. I know EV-DO Rev B. can aggregate but I've never heard of aggregating 1X.

The Hawaii CCA coverage is from Sprint and T-Mobile only.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I wonder if Mobi PCS in Hawaii was a CCA member before they decided to sell out their spectrum to VZW.  :scratch:

• Like 1

Report from a guy from HoFo.

My friend in college has CSpire (Cellular South) and came up here to visit recently and their phone showed native LTE service on 5x5 Sprint PCS band LTE, they were achieving the same exact speed's as me, just their IP address was out of Mississippi and CSpire. Haven't been to MS yet with my Sprint phone to see if it's the same roaming on them yet though.

• Like 4

Some Sprint LTE coverage showed up on Sensorly outside Woodward and Alva in Western Oklahoma.  These are not Sprint corporate or affiliate coverages.  Some live CCA/RRPP LTE coverage starting to appear?

Robert

• Like 5

Some Sprint LTE coverage showed up on Sensorly outside Woodward and Alva in Western Oklahoma.  These are not Sprint corporate or affiliate coverages.  Some live CCA/RRPP LTE coverage starting to appear?

Robert

I noticed those spots show up last fall... I've always figured someone had an error with the Sensorly app.

I noticed those spots show up last fall... I've always figured someone had an error with the Sensorly app.

Wow, I just noticed them.  Guess I'm late to the party!

Robert

Yeah, they were in the CCA Annoucement, but not the recent RRPP announcements.  So, either this is some new CCA coverage or new unannounced RRPP coverage.  Or testing.  Exciting.

Robert

• Like 1

The only thing I could think of out there in Glenn Gore land is Pioneer. I doubt they'd be RRPP or SMART partners after going to LTEiRA. Sorry I hate to burst bubbles, but the only way Sprint is going to compete there is through the merger and converted UMTS/LTE.

Sad part is that there are cable providers out there that could use SMART to make a wireless play. I don't think any are willing to bite.

The only thing I could think of out there in Glenn Gore land is Pioneer. I doubt they'd be RRPP or SMART partners after going to LTEiRA. Sorry I hate to burst bubbles, but the only way Sprint is going to compete there is through the merger and converted UMTS/LTE.

Sad part is that there are cable providers out there that could use SMART to make a wireless play. I don't think any are willing to bite.

Sprint did announce that they were working with Pioneer through the CCA.  So, why couldn't they also be a RRPP member?  They couldn't use the Verizon LTE network, but surely they could put anything they want on their towers on separate infrastructure from Verizon.

Robert

med_gallery_1_2_392569.png

Pioneer Cellular was shown by Masa as a Current Sprint LTE partner in March 2014

• Like 1

While the relationship between Pioneer and Sprint did end ugly (if I read things right), the new Sprint management has shown a much greater willingness to accommodate partners, so I wouldn't think that it would be too hard to get pioneer back on board, their legacy networks are already compatible with the Sprint network.

The only thing I could think of out there in Glenn Gore land is Pioneer.

As I have made public previously, I do not care for Glenn Gore.  He signed up with Sprint so that he could get an iPhone, then used his service almost exclusively on a Sprint Rural Alliance partner.  When Pioneer ditched Sprint, Glenn also ditched Sprint -- because he was not happy that the PRL eventually limited his service to CDMA1X.  So, he went to VZW to get another iPhone and proceeded to use his service almost exclusively on a VZW LTE in Rural America partner.

This was all driven by the iPhone.  Seriously, the iPhone addiction some have displayed is ridiculous.  They go wherever the iPhone goes.  And they do not fault Apple for the game of keep away that it has/had played with numerous operators.

I called out Glenn on that a while back.  I said that the honest thing for him to do would be to support Pioneer for actually building out LTE coverage in his rural area, not to pay VZW and use Pioneer coverage nearly full time.  He said that he planned to do so -- that is, once Apple finally bestowed iPhone access upon Pioneer.  I wonder if anyone has asked Glenn if he actually followed through on that vow.

AJ

I think he did eventually move to Pioneer. For what it's worth, Verizon did eventually change the rules so that one could not sign up for service in an LTEiRA area.

Here's what happens when you enter in the zip code in Woodward, which is in the middle of Pioneer's LTEiRA area.

7amubuza.jpg

I think he did eventually move to Pioneer. For what it's worth, Verizon did eventually change the rules so that one could not sign up for service in an LTEiRA area.

Here's what happens when you enter in the zip code in Woodward, which is in the middle of Pioneer's LTEiRA area.

Who knows how strictly that is enforced?  Provide a service area zip code within VZW native footprint but a billing zip code elsewhere, and VZW may not care.  With the elimination of long distance charges, people care little where their phone number is actually homed to its MSC.  They will move from one coast to another and keep the same number, caring not a whit that every one of their incoming calls gets boomeranged cross country from one MSC to another.  I find that modern obliviousness a bit disheartening.

AJ

• 2 weeks later...

So with the newest system update with the LG G2 it has a new selection in the ##DATA# hidden menu called LTE Available List which lists SID, NID, and BASE_ID's for all sites that it has found LTE from.

I looked around through this log and noticed that there are some with a SID of 5, which corresponds to US Cellular.  It appears that the phone is noticing the LTE, but isn't authenticating?  Could be a sign of things to come?

Screenshots and proof below:

Screenshot_2014-07-25-19-04-30.png

Snip20140725_2.png

• Like 6

AJ (WiWavelength) Will be making a trip to Woodward, OK  to see whats going on (with a spectrum analyzer). Please show your support and donate to help with the costs (put Woodward trip in the note section of your donation.)  This could be just the beginning of potential CCA partner LTE coverage. (Check out sensorly if you dont know whats going on) 

• Like 6