Sprint to join Rural Operators Roaming Hub (CCA and RRPP thread)

marioc21

Now, if only Claure/Son could launch a promotion centered around bringing your current Verizon phone to Sprint ("Bring your Verizon phone to Sprint, and we'll double your data for life! Powered by America's Newest Network.") #Poaching

Well they're currently paying ETFs and EIPs from all carriers, including Verizon, coming to Sprint. However, if what you're getting at is using Verizon phones on Sprint, that just isn't very useful since Verizon phones generally don't support Sprint LTE bands (and vice versa).

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Tmo is a member of the CCA. But they have not taken a public role in what their participation in the CCA is and have not really announced anything. All the discussion around the CCA has focused on Sprint. Sprint has been the one headlining events and media. Sprint has been the one working with CCA members to get them access to vendors/OEM's. Sprint is the one offering to help them finance. And the Sprint RRPP group is exclusive to Sprint and its members and does not include Tmo.

But Sprint is not planning to roam on Tmo or vice versa. That could change in the future, but not planned now.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Now, if only Claure/Son could launch a promotion centered around bringing your current Verizon phone to Sprint ("Bring your Verizon phone to Sprint, and we'll double your data for life! Powered by America's Newest Network.") #Poaching

To quote a cliche standup comic line, who are the ad wizards who came up with this one???

Sprint would just end up with a bunch of angry former VZW subs who erroneously think that Sprint's reputation for a poor network continues to be accurate.  They would be forever stuck on "3G" because their VZW handsets do not support band 25/26/41 LTE nor band class 10 CDMA1X, just band class 1 CDMA1X/EV-DO.  And persistent EV-DO 1900 would not leave them impressed.

AJ

• Like 2

Well they're currently paying ETFs and EIPs from all carriers, including Verizon, coming to Sprint. However, if what you're getting at is using Verizon phones on Sprint, that just isn't very useful since Verizon phones generally don't support Sprint LTE bands (and vice versa).

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I was coming at it more from a "bring us your phone and let BrightStar take care of it" angle. Get those that switched a spark device and let them loose.

Hopefully one of them is U.S. Cellular. Additionally I hope that they announce the first RRPP/CCA networks available for use.

That is my hope as well. I spent a few days on vacation in NH and ended up getting my first-ever "You used too much roaming data" email from Sprint. 301mb on USCC 3G because Sprint has no coverage away from I-93.. I'm sure a big chunk of that was from my Verizon-toting sisters who begged me to turn on my hotspot because they were out of data for the month! :)

-Mike

• Like 5

That is my hope as well. I spent a few days on vacation in NH and ended up getting my first-ever "You used too much roaming data" email from Sprint. 301mb on USCC 3G because Sprint has no coverage away from I-93.. I'm sure a big chunk of that was from my Verizon-toting sisters who begged me to turn on my hotspot because they were out of data for the month! :)

-Mike

Quarter 3/4

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Inland Cellular in the Northwest was one of the companies that Sprint signed on with in June. Previously, data was at 1X. Today, the roaming was at 3G, though unfortunately it still said Extended with iPhone 5S. Hope this doesn't count against my 300 Mb cap.

Do we have any clue when all this coverage might show up as native? Are we months or years away?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Months.

USCC lte roaming won't begin til q4.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Is this new roaming coverage going to be available to prepaid?

That seems unlikely.  One of the differentiators between postpaid and prepaid is roaming coverage -- especially data roaming coverage.

AJ

-Mike

I had two trips to Winnipesaukee last month, and my roaming data is currently at 291MB. Native coverage would be great.

I had two trips to Winnipesaukee last month, and my roaming data is currently at 291MB. Native coverage would be great.

Yep, that's where I was too. A little strange that Sprint has no sites (and per a conversation I had with them, none planned) around the lake except for in Laconia, since they have 93 blanketed up beyond Plymouth. VZ, AT&T, and USCC have excellent LTE coverage up there these days, even out in the sticks. That USCC deal would work out very well for us.

-Mike

• Like 3

I think he means that he hopes that the iPhone will have the LTE bands necessary to take full advantage of CCA/RRPP carrier networks. 

Bands 4, 5 (covered by band 26) and 12 will be in upcoming sprint phones.  The iphone already has both of these bands. I am not sure if they are in the Sprint variant though.

Edit.  Just checked, band 4 and 5 are already in the Sprint variant. Band 12 is not included in any iphone currently.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-reaches-4g-lte-roaming-agreements-with-15-additional-rural-carriers.htm?view_id=8028

Pioneer and Bluegrass announced now. No USCC announced yet. It makes me wonder if USCC and Sprint are having some backroom buyout negotiations. Or maybe I'm just hoping.

• Like 24

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-reaches-4g-lte-roaming-agreements-with-15-additional-rural-carriers.htm?view_id=8028

Pioneer and Bluegrass announced now. No USCC announced yet. It makes me wonder if USCC and Sprint are having some backroom buyout negotiations. Or maybe I'm just hoping.

I am hoping as well.  If/when the roaming agreement/buyout gets announced with USCC, it will make the new Moto X all that much more intriguing to me since it includes B12!

Well, well, well, look who is back.

;)

AJ

• Like 6