Sprint to join Rural Operators Roaming Hub (CCA and RRPP thread)

marioc21

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-reaches-4g-lte-roaming-agreements-with-15-additional-rural-carriers.htm?view_id=8028

Pioneer and Bluegrass announced now. No USCC announced yet. It makes me wonder if USCC and Sprint are having some backroom buyout negotiations. Or maybe I'm just hoping.

USCC is in active negotiations last checked with at least one tier 4 carrier and lte roaming is expected to be done in q4.

Their backend software suites are already updated to support LTE roaming.

Either negotiations are stalling or something more is happening in the background.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Public Service Wireless (http://www.psdatawireless.com/) should at least help with some of the rural Georgia ex-Alltel areas, although interestingly enough they seem to be a data-only provider; they have no voice network at all, although they do offer VoIP over LTE.

They appear to currently be operating their service on 10x10 AWS (1710-1720/2110-2120), but they also have 6x6 700 (mostly 710-716/740-746, a couple on 704-710/734-740), in the following CMAs.

Both AWS and 700: 153 (Columbus, GA/Phenix City, AL), 261 (Albany, GA), 376 (Georgia 6/Spalding County - 12x12 700), 379 (Georgia 9/Marion County)

700-only markets: 139 (Montgomery, AL)

AWS-only markets: 138 (Macon/Warner Robins, GA), 314 (Alabama 8/Lee County), 375 (Georgia 5/Haralson County)

They also have EBS(!) in 17 west central Georgia counties, pretty much all rural (biggest city is probably Americus).

• Like 2

So I'm assuming that these new carriers will be treated as before "Faux Native Coverage" meaning being on these networks will be presented as Home Service Areas instead of actually "Roaming"? 

• Like 2

Remember, RRPP members coverages will be treated as native to Sprint postpaid subscribers:  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-367-will-lte-service-on-rural-roaming-preferred-program-partner-networks-be-native-coverage-for-sprint-customers/

What I am starting to wonder is if Sprint is planning some sort of VoIP calling solution when roaming on partner LTE networks.  Similar to how WiFi calling is done now.  That would be pretty innovative, and would allow them to use partner LTE services without CDMA nor being limited to only just devices that could possibly run on partner GSM/WCDMA for voice.  That would be pretty neat.  Although, I don't know how well a VoIP solution would work with handoffs.

Robert

• Like 8

roaming VOIP would seem to fit hand in hand with the current wifi and international calling.

there no technical reason to limit 'wifi' calling to only 'wifi', it could be used over any data connection including native and roaming lte.

I think it is very smart to be 'testing' the VOIP waters along the fringe scenarios before rolling out for everyone.

Well, well, well, look who is back.

;)

AJ

Perhaps your trip was ill-timed and not for nothing. 

Edit: I was also hoping for Commnet to be on the next release even though they don't have any LTE.  They would cover most of norther New Mexico and southern Colorado.

• Like 1

Perhaps your trip was ill-timed and not for nothing. 

Edit: I was also hoping for Commnet to be on the next release even though they don't have any LTE.  They would cover most of norther New Mexico and southern Colorado.

I was hoping for Commnet as well. In addition to the areas that you mention, they have extensive coverage in rural Nevada.

• Like 1

I was hoping for Commnet as well. In addition to the areas that you mention, they have extensive coverage in rural Nevada.

I don't think i can read. Per Robert's link above, Commnet is included as a CCA Partner with Sprint that was announced in March.

• Like 1

I wonder whether Sprint might push VoLTE in areas where partner LTE overlays either nothing or non-CDMA. Might take a little longer to deploy, but might as well set up a standard tech when it's available, rather than just trying gardern variety VoIP over cellular with associated QoS implications.

Since Public Service Wireless didn't build out for voice coverage, I wonder what their coverage is like.  There doesn't seem to be a coverage map on their site.

In this document is a map (Exhibit I) that appears to be what they claim to be building out, at least in Georgia, but there's no indication of what's actually currently active: http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7021901359. I could try pulling the SIM (or putting a T-Mobile SIM in) with my Nexus 5 and driving around a bit to see what shows up on the engineering screen; I might do that over the weekend if I get bored.

See also: http://www.fiercetelecom.com/press-releases/public-service-wireless-deploy-commercial-mobile-broadband-network-throughout-centr-0

• Like 2

With those savings, deals with rural carriers could offer Sprint a lifeline to improve its national presence following the collapse of the merger with T-Mobile US Inc.

Oh, that's right. Because TMO had such a great footprint.

• Like 3

Does anyone know all of the bands this alliance will cover? I'm at work and can't search at the moment. Hope it hasn't been covered already.

Sent from my SM-G900P

B12/17, B4, B5/26, B2/25, B41 is going to be supported by devices of all RRPP members going forward soon. Members will deploy some mix of these depending on their spectrum resources and the ones they host using Sprint spectrum. Each provider will be a little different.

• Like 2

Oh, that's right. Because TMO had such a great footprint.

Is it me or does the use of Collapse , in your quoted text, make it seem like it was Sprints only lifeline? It uses a hidden negative to still downplay Sprint. Calling it a collapse is a bit harsh, more like it was a withdrawl because Son Was smarter.

• Like 1