Sprint to join Rural Operators Roaming Hub (CCA and RRPP thread)

marioc21

Ok, so far I see Commnet, SRT, James Valley, and Sagebrush on the CCA list (looking at SD/ND/MT carriers here. Any chance of adding these guys http://www.midrivers.com/cellular-coverage/ ? They seem to have a regional plan that treats Sagebrush service as native. Maybe the Sagebrush can get them onboard?

• Like 1

There was a CCA webinar today regarding the device hub and how it works. Here's the PDF of the presentation: http://competitivecarriers.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/CDH-Webinar-14-08-19-v81.pdf

And a download of the audio: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hsqgfw8auiizryy/CCA%20Device%20Hub%20Powered%20by%20Apkudo_%20What%20is%20it%20and%20how%20does%20it%20work%3F%208-19-14%2C%202.08%20PM.mov

About an hour or so.

• Like 6

There was a CCA webinar today regarding the device hub and how it works. Here's the PDF of the presentation: http://competitivecarriers.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/CDH-Webinar-14-08-19-v81.pdf

And a download of the audio: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hsqgfw8auiizryy/CCA%20Device%20Hub%20Powered%20by%20Apkudo_%20What%20is%20it%20and%20how%20does%20it%20work%3F%208-19-14%2C%202.08%20PM.mov

About an hour or so.

UMMMMM... this is huge. 

7SHg8S5.png

• Like 4

Effectively it's a sim card that carries all the necessary user information without having to input into the system as we currently do Effectively making the devices world phones simalar to gsm SIM card counterparts just over the CDMA network. As long as the device supports CDMA voice data on the network we can switch cards with out having to call a carrier to input the mied is that right?

Does 1x/LTE hybrid mode mean the return of SVLTE, or is this referring to eCFSB?

eCSFB.  SVLTE will only be achieved on Sprint in the future via VoLTE.

Robert

• Like 1

Verizon and Sprint have taken the lead on LTE roaming - it's time for AT&T and T-Mobile to catch up

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-and-sprint-have-taken-lead-lte-roaming-its-time-att-and-t-mobile-ca/2014-08-20

TM users probably don't care about roaming :)

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Yes, T-Mobile users are a dichotomy.  The Magenta loving tech press live in the city and hopscotch across the country and around the world via commercial airline flights.  The other T-Mobile users rely on public transportation.

;)

AJ

• Like 3

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

If Tmo doesn't offer LTE service there, then they would never go there. Legere will tell them where to go!

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

That's what kills me about T-Mo's ads on tablet data. They show a guy camping and eating a leaf, and looking up on his T-Mo iPad that it is poison ivy. I laugh because there would be no way for him to get data there.

• Like 10

This whole CCA/RRPP thing is extremely exciting to me.  As a guy who travels every week for work, but technically has home in a 'dead zone' for Sprint - this could be awesome.  Luckily, Illinois Valley Cellular towers in our area are well placed - and would provide excellent coverage in areas (like the town in live in) where there is no close Sprint tower.  

My concern, however, is the lack of technological improvement on the IVC side of things.  Fairly certain there is nowhere NEAR the backhaul capacity as a Sprint NV site, and at least currently, IVC is a 'slow' 3g provider at best.  Its my understanding that at some level, these smaller carriers could be allowed to broadcast on Sprints spectrum holdings, but I am super interested to see where IVC takes this.  I am sure Sprint has done their homework - but it would be a loss for Sprint to offer 'nationwide LTE coverage' for IVC customers, whereas IVC's end of the deal is/would be far less positive - only providing 3G (at best) coverage for Sprint customers in small towns in central/northern Illinois with no 'native' Sprint coverage.

Again - super interested to see how things all shake out, but I'm a greedy fella.   :)  I want to see IVC 'rebuild' their towers with fiber backhaul and allow Sprint customers to roam LTE 'natively.'   :P

• Like 4

This whole CCA/RRPP thing is extremely exciting to me. As a guy who travels every week for work, but technically has home in a 'dead zone' for Sprint - this could be awesome. Luckily, Illinois Valley Cellular towers in our area are well placed - and would provide excellent coverage in areas (like the town in live in) where there is no close Sprint tower.

My concern, however, is the lack of technological improvement on the IVC side of things. Fairly certain there is nowhere NEAR the backhaul capacity as a Sprint NV site, and at least currently, IVC is a 'slow' 3g provider at best. Its my understanding that at some level, these smaller carriers could be allowed to broadcast on Sprints spectrum holdings, but I am super interested to see where IVC takes this. I am sure Sprint has done their homework - but it would be a loss for Sprint to offer 'nationwide LTE coverage' for IVC customers, whereas IVC's end of the deal is/would be far less positive - only providing 3G (at best) coverage for Sprint customers in small towns in central/northern Illinois with no 'native' Sprint coverage.

Again - super interested to see how things all shake out, but I'm a greedy fella. :) I want to see IVC 'rebuild' their towers with fiber backhaul and allow Sprint customers to roam LTE 'natively.' :P

For permission to use Sprint's spectrum and build out their LTE, Illinois Valley Cellular would have to bring high speed data to their towers, whether by fiber, microwave, or any AAC (alternative access carrier). From there, they would have to upgrade their base station cabinets, replace antennas, and place Remote Radio Units either on the tower or by the base stations. It will take time for the RRPP members to do the work needed, but if they are really gung-Ho about this, they will get it done.

• Like 3

Hopefully one of them is U.S. Cellular. Additionally I hope that they announce the first RRPP/CCA networks available for use.

Yes ntelos has been ready forever, I suspect by the end of September all launched ntelos markets will be live for sprint users. Why else would they offer lte in 3 sprint, shentel markets?

I wonder how many POPs will sprint cover including CCA.

I know they are covering at least 250 million plus 34 million through CCA partnership

And let's not forget about major markets that haven't launched lte officially such as Washington DC

I wonder how many POPs will sprint cover including CCA.

I know they are covering at least 250 million plus 34 million through CCA partnership

And let's not forget about major markets that haven't launched lte officially such as Washington DC

Isn't 34M just the RRPP members signed up?  CCA would be even more than that.

Robert

• Like 1

Can't freaking wait till they get there LTE up and sprint changes the coverage maps...

Sprint can say over 300 million covered with LTE!!??? A lot of people hanging onto the "Edge" will "jump" to see the new "Spark"!

• Like 1

Can't freaking wait till they get there LTE up and sprint changes the coverage maps...

Sprint can say over 300 million covered with LTE!!??? A lot of people hanging onto the "Edge" will "jump" to see the new "Spark"!

There's two huge advantages in play:

1. The cost savings will be enormous. Funnel that back into the network (or hell - even buy a CCA/RRPP member here and there), and you're going to hit T-Mobile square in the gut. They can't match the coverage, period.
  2. The marketing advantage of overlaying your map with T-Mobile and AT&T, and being a true nation-wide network competitor to Verizon is going to force people to give Sprint a look... especially people who are used to paying Verizon-money for capped data plans.

Now, if only Claure/Son could launch a promotion centered around bringing your current Verizon phone to Sprint ("Bring your Verizon phone to Sprint, and we'll double your data for life! Powered by America's Newest Network.") #Poaching

• Like 7