Samsung Galaxy S4T L720T [Trimode] User Discussion Thread

lilotimz

Looks like it's been awhile since anyone posted in this thread, but just wanted to pop in and throw my hat into the ring. Due to a dropped phone/smashed screen mishap last week with my Photon Q, I upgraded to a new triband GS4. So far I like it, taking alot of getting used to not having a physical keyboard any longer, but SwiftKey is helping in that regard to some degree. Definitely enjoying the improved performance and not hitting 90% on memory usage. I did run into an LTE bug once early on but the 72786 trick fixed it thanks to the thread here.

• Like 1

Looks like it's been awhile since anyone posted in this thread, but just wanted to pop in and throw my hat into the ring. Due to a dropped phone/smashed screen mishap last week with my Photon Q, I upgraded to a new triband GS4. So far I like it, taking alot of getting used to not having a physical keyboard any longer, but SwiftKey is helping in that regard to some degree. Definitely enjoying the improved performance and not hitting 90% on memory usage. I did run into an LTE bug once early on but the 72786 trick fixed it thanks to the thread here.

Did you make sure to get the tri-band version? Spark, sph-l720t

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Did you apply the WiFi Calling update for the 720T? If so, how do you like it?

Love it. Use it on my home network. Hi def or simultaneous voice and internet. Gets a touch laggy if you do both on mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Just brought my wife this phone and just a quick question. Any downsides to installing KK?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I dont have any issues. It's been quite stable and bug free for me. Ths WiFi Calling update is awesome!

So it sounds like I will update it. Thanks

It's a Spark phone and once in a while, when the phone downs to 3G, it doesn't always transition back to LTE. That's the TriBand, not the phone.

It's a Spark phone and once in a while, when the phone downs to 3G, it doesn't always transition back to LTE. That's the TriBand, not the phone.

Yea I'm aware of that. I have the G2 so I'm just explaining to her about the ecsfb issues. They are deploying B26 here and she already had her first taste of being kicked from lte. Is there a code to get the msl without having to call Sprint. I know the G2 pre KK did.

Yea I'm aware of that. I have the G2 so I'm just explaining to her about the ecsfb issues. They are deploying B26 here and she already had her first taste of being kicked from lte. Is there a code to get the msl without having to call Sprint. I know the G2 pre KK did.

There's an app to retrieve your msl. Find one of my pc posts - it's in that signature with the hidden screens article or scroll back through these posts until you find it.

http://tools.flashingtools.com/

There's an app to retrieve your msl. Find one of my pc posts - it's in that signature with the hidden screens article or scroll back through these posts until you find it.

I'll check when I get home. I wish Samsung would get their act together. Hate that it doesn't give the pci in scp

• Like 1

I realize that the middle of the thread is a horrible place for this to be hidden, but it can be hot linked to on the web version and probably via tapatalk someplace.  I'll update it as I find more information.  I found that I cannot edit it after a certain amount of time so I have to post updates / revisions later in the thread.

**caution** access and use of these screens is at your own risk.

Study hard before throwing random setting switches.  They are hidden for a reason.

You should NOT have to hit "dial".  Tapping the final "#" of the trigger should take you to the screen.  If it doesn't, re-check what you entered for errors.

(MSL reader that worked)

##DEBUG#  (##33284#)
password:  SPRINT  (777468)
(LTE engineering screen - LTE connection data)

##DATA#  (##3282#)
"view" section - no password

"edit" section requires your unique msl code (see above for discovery tool app)
    The radio filters can be found here.

To set LTE only mode:
-Scroll down the list
<more>
<HDR/1X Selection>
(Note your personal default setting so you can return to it later!

-should be "LTE+CDMA+EVDO")

<LTE Only Mode>  - doesn't normally require a reboot
Restoring to "LTE+CDMA+EVDO" mode usually requires a reboot of the phone.

##DIAG#
-no password or msl code?
Use for?

##INFO#   (4636) <--  MISSING!  need to find equivalent screen for S4T
(on some other phone models this has the "LTE only mode" toggle - see DATA above)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blueline.signalcheck

Signal check (pro only?) now records a database in the background that can be exported and retrieved from the phone.  It also retrieves the B25/B26 hex as well.  Both are useful for submitting data on new discoveries for the maps and spreadsheets.

If you have any additions or updates, let me know and I'll update this post.

-Thanks to all who helped me get this far.

• Like 2

Has anyone ordered the Samsung Galaxy S4 from AmazonWireless and confirmed that they are shipping the Galaxy S4T?  My wife left her phone on the roof of the car and it has died a horrible, horrible death.  I'm upgrade eligible and the S4T seems to have the best RF of any current Sprint devices.  I just want to ensure that we'll get the Spark version and not the original S4.

They wouldn't know, Amazon sells such a mass amount of smartphones, no way to tell. Best way is to tell them upfront... If the model isn't a 720T..you will be returning. Be warned... If you return the phone... Amazon will gladly accept the return... but..in my experience.. .they took their time sending the upgrade status back to my carrier. Consequently.. I couldn't get an upgrade for two months, because the carrier didn't receive information from Amazon that I returned my phone.

That's just my experience.. Amazon has great prices, but know once you lock into the contract.. you cant terminate the contract for 180 days, without being charged an ETF from carrier and $250+ or more from Amazon.

Good luck.

They wouldn't know, Amazon sells such a mass amount of smartphones, no way to tell. Best way is to tell them upfront... If the model isn't a 720T..you will be returning. Be warned... If you return the phone... Amazon will gladly accept the return... but..in my experience.. .they took their time sending the upgrade status back to my carrier. Consequently.. I couldn't get an upgrade for two months, because the carrier didn't receive information from Amazon that I returned my phone.

That's just my experience.. Amazon has great prices, but know once you lock into the contract.. you cant terminate the contract for 180 days, without being charged an ETF from carrier and $250+ or more from Amazon.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I went through the comments/reviews and people have been getting the S4T for a couple months now.

For a penny and the best RF, I had to order it.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, no Spark around me.  Lansing has a few WiMax protection sites, Grand Rapids was a launched WiMax market, but they are in a later phase for B41/TD-LTE deployment.  I live right between the two and get weak, but very usable B25 LTE.  We don't even have B26/B10 yet in Ionia County, thinking it must be due to a the county sheriff's radio stuff.

The Note 2 was an RF beast, reading that this is even better will be very nice.

You can set a Band scan preference. But after you connect, LTE is network controlled. The network will decide which band you need to be on. You have no control.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Does this apply to any LTE handset that offers priority?  So really is there any benefit?

Does this apply to any LTE handset that offers priority?  So really is there any benefit?

Benefit is the initial connection, after that it is all on the network to shuffle you around

The network is supposed to be smart enough to optimize the connection.

It wants you to get to your information as quickly as possible so it can shed you back off the data stream and service the next user.  It's supposed to be constantly rebalancing everything to serve as many people as it can.

The problem comes when users just pull data that they don't need or pull data just because they can.  Then the system hits saturation and no one can do much of anything.  A few thousand users trying to stream out of a packed stadium would be a fine example.

Everyone periodically looking for score refreshes might be possible to service - as the data hops from user to user like bees on flowers versus a bear sitting in the flower bed.