Samsung Galaxy S4T L720T [Trimode] User Discussion Thread

lilotimz

Installed but I don't think it does much more than spy.

I also have trend micro mobile security which seems to be a lot more useful and effective.

I was more thinking along the lines of the finding/wiping the phone rather than scanning for viruses and such.

Does bestbuy sell the triband version of the blue artic s4 or is it only single band?

Does bestbuy sell the triband version of the blue artic s4 or is it only single band?

Their website only shows the single band version, but you could probably go into a store to see for yourself. If you reboot it you get a Sprint Spark splash screen that will indicate which model it is. 

Their website only shows the single band version, but you could probably go into a store to see for yourself. If you reboot it you get a Sprint Spark splash screen that will indicate which model it is. 

I would have to make my way into the island of Manhattan then, to test this out. You would think there would be more readily available information. But, lack of information is just as telling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like we're getting another update. This one will allow for International wifi calling.

I'm hoping this update fixes my S4T to be able to use wifi calling. Something happened to my last update and it's never worked. I got my mom's S4T to work, but not mine. I was told something may have happened during the update process which possibly corrupted a file. 

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/traveling-overseas-with-sprint-has-never-been-easier-with-international-wi-fi-calling-to-the-us-us-virgin-islands-and-puerto-rico-at-no-additional-cost.htm

• Like 1

Looks like we're getting another update. This one will allow for International wifi calling.

I'm hoping this update fixes my S4T to be able to use wifi calling. Something happened to my last update and it's never worked. I got my mom's S4T to work, but not mine. I was told something may have happened during the update process which possibly corrupted a file.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/traveling-overseas-with-sprint-has-never-been-easier-with-international-wi-fi-calling-to-the-us-us-virgin-islands-and-puerto-rico-at-no-additional-cost.htm

This app fixed the wifi issue for me. Try both options in the app.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsung.refreshDevice '> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsung.refreshDevice

Unfortunately, I've already tried that app several times. It did fix a couple other issues but not the wifi calling. Thanks for the tip though.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Here's the list of updates in NG5: 

• HD Voice Icon support
  • International Wi-Fi Calling support
  • Google security patches

The official release date is listed as 8/27/2014. Please post when you get it. I tried the manual update method and plugged in to my computer and tried through Kies. Neither option had the update available yet. 

• Like 2

Here's the list of updates in NG5: 

• HD Voice Icon support
  • International Wi-Fi Calling support
  • Google security patches

The official release date is listed as 8/27/2014. Please post when you get it. I tried the manual update method and plugged in to my computer and tried through Kies. Neither option had the update available yet. 

Ah the mystery of the Google/Samsung/Sprint staggered update roll out.

HD Voice Icon support... does that mean what I think... When we are making a phone call we will get a icon on notification bar indicating we are making a call in HD Voice?

I guess we'll have to see how it works once someone gets it. I said something about it to my wife, who has the original S4 (non-Spark). She showed me her call log which shows an HD icon on some of her calls. I asked if anything showed on her notification bar when on an HD call and she said she never noticed anything but didn't know for sure. The original S4 received an update last month which included the "HD voice icon." 

The weird thing is, in our area, we don't have HD calls all the time. I would guess about 20% of my calls to other Sprint subscribers are in HD. Not sure why it isn't all the time. Maybe Shentel/Sprint are still trying to iron the bugs out.  

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/07/30/sprint-galaxy-s4-receive-ota-software-update-l720vpufng2-bringing-minor-enhancements/

Per the article: "HD Voice allows for clearer sounding speech, but it only works on calls where both users have supported devices. Over two dozen high-end devices make this list, but that still leaves off quite a bit of folk."

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/07/30/sprint-galaxy-s4-receive-ota-software-update-l720vpufng2-bringing-minor-enhancements/

Per the article: "HD Voice allows for clearer sounding speech, but it only works on calls where both users have supported devices. Over two dozen high-end devices make this list, but that still leaves off quite a bit of folk."

Yes, I was speaking about calling those who I know have an HD capable Sprint device.

Per the article: "HD Voice allows for clearer sounding speech, but it only works on calls where both users have supported devices. Over two dozen high-end devices make this list, but that still leaves off quite a bit of folk."

I think this is baloney. From an article in 2012:

“We have [EVRC-NW] in every CDMA chip that is sampling,” Qualcomm senior director of product management Peter Carlson stated. “ It's in anything new going forward and is an integral part of the portfolio.”

http://technews.tmcnet.com/channels/hd-voice/articles/258361-qualcomm-hd-voice-arriving-cdma-this-year.htm

I think this is baloney. From an article in 2012:

“We have [EVRC-NW] in every CDMA chip that is sampling,” Qualcomm senior director of product management Peter Carlson stated. “ It's in anything new going forward and is an integral part of the portfolio.”

http://technews.tmcnet.com/channels/hd-voice/articles/258361-qualcomm-hd-voice-arriving-cdma-this-year.htm

It likely takes more than just hardware to make it go.

Think in these terms:  We're getting Voice over WiFi now, yet it takes Sprint network and more software upgrades to implement it over LTE.

Yes, I was speaking about calling those who I know have an HD capable Sprint device.

There may also be a bandwidth requirement on both ends as well.  If both parties don't simultaneously have the data bandwidth available on the network then that would force a downgrade in performance as well.

It take more than just hardware to make it go.

Think in these terms:  We're getting Voice over WiFi now, yet it takes Sprint network and more software upgrades to implement it over LTE.

That wasn't my point at all. My point was that the part you quoted made it sound like there's dozens of Sprint devices that don't support EVRC-NW. 

I guess we'll have to see how it works once someone gets it. I said something about it to my wife, who has the original S4 (non-Spark). She showed me her call log which shows an HD icon on some of her calls. I asked if anything showed on her notification bar when on an HD call and she said she never noticed anything but didn't know for sure. The original S4 received an update last month which included the "HD voice icon." 

The weird thing is, in our area, we don't have HD calls all the time. I would guess about 20% of my calls to other Sprint subscribers are in HD. Not sure why it isn't all the time. Maybe Shentel/Sprint are still trying to iron the bugs out.  

That wasn't my point at all. My point was that the part you quoted made it sound like there's dozens of Sprint devices that don't support EVRC-NW. 

The exact quote was:

"HD Voice allows for clearer sounding speech, but it only works on calls where both users have supported devices. Over two dozen high-end devices make this list, but that still leaves off quite a bit of folk."

How did you get any accounting of what DOESN'T support it?  Nowhere in that quote is "dozens of Sprint devices that don't support".  That is exactly the opposite of the statement.  Did you misread it?

Now, unless I'm misreading something horribly also, the discussion / complaint is about possible reasons why it wouldn't work consistently.  There are a lot of details missing regarding the reports' conditions under which it is expected to, but doesn't work.  I'm merely providing shotgunned ideas of potential and logical glitches that could explain matters.

So, via a quote from above:

RE: "Not sure why it isn't all the time."

Caveat:

Until I have the update in hand myself for this phone, I won't have any firsthand experience with it so I'm relying on published reports and common sense to offer ideas.

My reply would be:

Judging by what this is (high bandwidth audio), it seems to me that you may be expecting consistent perfection from a system that isn't capable of delivering it (yet?).

Between likely unknown recipient device software and even external hardware configurations,

(do some bluetooth devices affect matters?)

varying (network / tower) (bandwidth / signal) demands, device limitations, and who knows what else, I can't say that I'm surprised at all that the reliability is at the level being reported here.

Consider that not everyone is sitting on a clean WAN/LAN/vowifi or strong voice signal all the time, especially when one or the other is moving.  I think it might require a fast and stable connection from end to end for both parties to get the performance you expect.  I suppose that while even better compressed, this is still at the higher ends of the capabilities of that side of the network.

While below 30% may be bit disappointing, I'm absolutely not surprised that it isn't "all the time".

Have you done controlled testing?  You imply (see above) that you are just working off of only the internal phone logs after the fact -which seems hardly a reliable metric.

Even so, isn't this just a temporary stepping stone for the 720T while we wait for the promised eventual VOLTE implementation?

Since it seems to be transitional and isn't the expected end configuration for the 720T, I'm not going to get too excited or disappointed over it.

• 2 weeks later...