Samsung Galaxy S4T L720T [Trimode] User Discussion Thread

lilotimz

Anybody get the new update? My wife's phone has it but I haven't installed it yet.

I try a couple times per day to pull it but so far, I haven't been one of the chosen ones yet. I've also checked Kies and it's not showing the update yet.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I try a couple times per day to pull it but so far, I haven't been one of the chosen ones yet. I've also checked Kies and it's not showing the update yet.

Ditto. I understand slower rollouts, but it feels like Samsung/Sprint/Google uses a 56k connection to send the approved for download list around.

• Like 1

Anybody get the new update? My wife's phone has it but I haven't installed it yet.

Is her phone a straight S4 and NOT a triband?  I'd bet that it is.

Since the newer tribands are higher serial numbers, the straight S4s should see it first.  Once they are pushed, then the Triband phones should start getting the push.

Since mine was purchased on release day, mine should be one of the first sparks to get it.

Is her phone a straight S4 and NOT a triband?  I'd bet that it is.

Since the newer tribands are higher serial numbers, the straight S4s should see it first.  Once they are pushed, then the Triband phones should start getting the push.

Since mine was purchased on release day, mine should be one of the first sparks to get it.

She is S4T. 

Is her phone a straight S4 and NOT a triband? I'd bet that it is.

Since the newer tribands are higher serial numbers, the straight S4s should see it first. Once they are pushed, then the Triband phones should start getting the push.

The update we are waiting on is only for the spark model. The original S4 had an update about 2 months ago.

Edit: The last update for the original S4 was released on 7/30/14.

I did a quick bit of looking this morning and only found a single update listed and it was applicable to both phones and had the same suffix, I didn't think to compare the full id's.

The rollout started on or around the July date you indicated and there was another indication that it was due to start on the s4t not too long ago -a couple weeks back, maybe.

Most say the rollouts go by serial inside of a specific carrier. Unless it is going in reverse order, or there is some other delay due to reports of problems in the wild, then I'd be skeptical about the reports.

I haven't seen it yet on my early phone. The vo wifi came to me relatively early so it seems to bear out.

I just got prompted for an update after I had literal manually checked earlier in the day. Any idea what this one might be?

EDIT: screenshot of the about screen for anyone who might care: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=52EC1CA1145BE042!461&authkey=!APrC-KgOGpRlOJM&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

• 2 weeks later...

I recently just got the update. I'm concerned because I have been reading in sprint community forums that this update will break data connectivity. Has anyone recently got the update and it messed up mobile connections?

My wife hasn't complained to me yet but I only did the update on Saturday. So if she fusses at me I'll let you know.

• Like 1

I recently just got the update. I'm concerned because I have been reading in sprint community forums that this update will break data connectivity. Has anyone recently got the update and it messed up mobile connections?

Yes, a coworker of mine had that issue but it was quickly fixed by putting ##72786# into the dialer which causes the phone to reauthenticate with the network.

I had no such issues with my S4T. I still can't get WiFi calling to work but that's been since the last update. Everything else works perfectly.

Hey so I'm lazy and don't feel like looking for my answer and for that I apologize but it's worth it.

So my buddy has an s4 with Verizon and wants to bring his phone to Sprint.

Can this be done? Legally.

Thanks

As far as I know it can't be done but I could be wrong

Hey so I'm lazy and don't feel like looking for my answer and for that I apologize but it's worth it.

So my buddy has an s4 with Verizon and wants to bring his phone to Sprint.

Can this be done? Legally.

Thanks

I don't know any way this can be done.  Sprint requires devices to be on their whitelist.  And devices cannot be added manually to the whitelist.  Any Verizon device (regardless of bands it supports) should not be able to work on the Sprint network with a Sprint SIM card.  It just is not possible without possibly having a Sprint employee who is able to add ESN/IMEI to the white list.  And that cannot be done in stores or at call centers.  I haven't met one person yet with that ability.  Sorry.

I don't know any way this can be done. Sprint requires devices to be on their whitelist. And devices cannot be added manually to the whitelist. Any Verizon device (regardless of bands it supports) should not be able to work on the Sprint network with a Sprint SIM card. It just is not possible without possibly having a Sprint employee who is able to add ESN/IMEI to the white list. And that cannot be done in stores or at call centers. I haven't met one person yet with that ability. Sorry.

It's all good. Thanks Robert.

He really likes his s4 and Sprint offers a great deal for unlimited everything for people buying the new iPhone 6. He was an iPhone user. I did get him to swap but he will see what what is available.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm in the KC area where spark is currently being rolled out. I have an issue where I am not sure if it is unique or not. I will ask the question before the explanation as it is a bit convoluted. With a rooted S4 720T, is it possible to set the phone to connect to a specific tower or APN, or to force it to standard LTE rather than spark?

In my house I get a very poor spark signal, and the same thing happens multiple places around town. It is one bar and I can't really use data with it. My wife has an S3 and my son has an iPhone 5, both of which are on standard LTE. They have a great LTE signal and have great data speeds in the house. Customer service looked it up for me and see that the tower closest to my house has standard LTE. My phone connects to this tower for calls and has no problem. A tower that is further away has spark and the signal is weak and basically unusable where I am. The problem is that they did not make the algorithms in the phone intelligent enough to let go of the spark connection when it is unusable in favor of a stronger LTE signal. The result is that I cannot use data in the house unless I force it to CDMA mode which is 3g only. It will be several months before they plan to upgrade my closest tower to spark. Unfortunately there is no native setting to force the phone to standard LTE. This is why I am asking if there is any way to work around this issue with a rooted S4 720T. Thank you for reading and any suggestions.

1.  If your phone is not stock, that MAY be part of your problem in the first place.

2.  Do you understand the difference between the TRI-Band spark and standard single band phones?

If your modified phone allows you to do so, disable band 41, play with it and see if that improves matters.

Then disable band 26 and play some more.

Then re-enable band 41 and play some more.

Those two frequencies are the "Spark" components that differentiate from the single band phones.  I would think that if you're blaming spark, you're blaming one or both of those frequency bands.

How to enable/disable specific bands - this is for a stock phone:

You will probably need your MSL code.  See this article to get the reader and obtain your code:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5273-samsung-galaxy-s4t-l720t-tri-band-user-discussion-thread/page-14&do=findComment&comment=323656

From the phone dialer enter:  ##data#  (##3282#) and that will enter your phone into the data programming mode.

Select EDIT

enter your MSL code when prompted

scroll down and select LTE and you can enable/disable each band here

I would reboot the phone between changes to get a clean boot/connection to the network and play with it for an extended period of time 30-60 min to allow a proper test.

I have a difficult time believing this is the problem as this is the exact opposite experience that spark is supposed to have.  The network is supposed to monitor the connection and be smart enough to tell the phone to shift as necessary for the highest performance available with the resources present.  Fully enabled, the phone itself has little to do with the actual decision process.

I would be VERY interested in the results of your experiments.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the instructions above.

I also recommend disabling band 26. This worked for my s5 that is not playing nicely with newly upgraded b26 site in my neighborhood. Once I disabled b26 I am getting b41 and b25 just fine. I'll try and reset everyday to see if b26 will be optimized.